Old 01-04-2012, 08:06 PM
R Kimber

Default Ctrl-alt-backspace

I've been trying to enable ctrl-alt-backspace following the command line
option on
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/DontZap?action=show&redirect=DontZap#Using_the_com mand_line

/usr/bin/setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp
runs fine from the command line, but when I put it in .xinitrc to make it
permanent, it doesn't seem to work.
.xinitrc has -rwxrw-r-- permissions

How do I get it to be permanent? I tried looking for a setting in the menu
system, but couldn't find one. I'm using Xubuntu 11.10

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources

Old 01-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Alan Pope

How do I get it to be permanent? I tried looking for a setting in the menu
system, but couldn't find one. I'm using Xubuntu 11.10

What's the real problem you're trying to solve here? i.e. why do you
want to be able to kill the desktop with a keyboard shortcut?

Al.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:42 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 10:33:24 +0000
Alan Pope <alan@canonical.com> wrote:

> On 04/01/12 21:06, R Kimber wrote:
> > How do I get it to be permanent? I tried looking for a setting in
> > the menu system, but couldn't find one. I'm using Xubuntu 11.10
> >

> What's the real problem you're trying to solve here? i.e. why do you
> want to be able to kill the desktop with a keyboard shortcut?
>
> Al.

It sounds as if the problem is that a basic and well-used option has
been removed and the OP wants it back.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Strength through Unity.
Unity through faith.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Alan Pope

On 06/01/12 12:42, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

It sounds as if the problem is that a basic and well-used option has
been removed and the OP wants it back.

The question was to discover why someone feels the need to kill their
desktop. As far as I can see it's only 'well used' by people who have
some other issue with their system. Perhaps a video driver that goes
haywire, or an app that misbehaves when setting resolution.

Perhaps there's an underlying nut-sized problem which could do with
addressing rather than using the hammer to crack it.

Al.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Billie Walsh

On 01/06/2012 07:20 AM, Alan Pope wrote:

On 06/01/12 12:42, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

It sounds as if the problem is that a basic and well-used option has
been removed and the OP wants it back.

The question was to discover why someone feels the need to kill their
desktop. As far as I can see it's only 'well used' by people who have
some other issue with their system. Perhaps a video driver that goes
haywire, or an app that misbehaves when setting resolution.

Perhaps there's an underlying nut-sized problem which could do with
addressing rather than using the hammer to crack it.

Al.

Or maybe they need a quick way to hide what their doing when "the boss"
comes around. *<]D

Many years ago some games had a "hide" set of keystrokes that would
pause the game and instantly change the screen to look like a
spreadsheet, or some other business like screen, so the boss wouldn't
know you were playing games on company time.

--
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain
the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the

- Patrick Henry -

_ _... ..._ _
_._ ._ ..... ._.. ... .._

Old 01-06-2012, 04:15 PM
R Kimber

Alan Pope wrote:

> On 04/01/12 21:06, R Kimber wrote:
> > How do I get it to be permanent? I tried looking for a setting in the
> > menu system, but couldn't find one. I'm using Xubuntu 11.10
> >

> What's the real problem you're trying to solve here? i.e. why do you
> want to be able to kill the desktop with a keyboard shortcut?

With 11.10 the machine is freezing quite a lot more than than previously.
I suspect that this might be a video issue and, as a start in looking for
the cause, I thought it would be useful to see if re-starting the Xserver
in that manner had any effect, assuming the keyboard wasn't also locked.

- Richard.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:16 PM
R Kimber

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 06:42:38 -0600
Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

> It sounds as if the problem is that a basic and well-used option has
> been removed and the OP wants it back.

Well, indeed.

- Richard.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

On 01/06/2012 08:20 AM, Alan Pope wrote:

On 06/01/12 12:42, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

It sounds as if the problem is that a basic and well-used option has
been removed and the OP wants it back.

The question was to discover why someone feels the need to kill their
desktop. As far as I can see it's only 'well used' by people who have
some other issue with their system. Perhaps a video driver that goes
haywire, or an app that misbehaves when setting resolution.

Perhaps there's an underlying nut-sized problem which could do with
addressing rather than using the hammer to crack it.

Al.
True, but what about the possibility that he just wants it available,
just in case?

Anyway, here's how I got it back.
Hit the Windows key
Type layout
Click on Keyboard layout
Go to the Layouts tab, click on Options.
In about the middle is the option for Key Sequence to Kill the X server.

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

- from some guy on the internet.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Johnny

I would like to disable ctrl-2 Option. What would you call that
function? My hands move slow and I hit that rather than shift-@ for my
e-mall address.

Thanks and God Bless Johnny3 65+++
I was running to the mail box and a turtle pass me.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Doug

On 1/6/2012 8:20 AM, Alan Pope wrote:

On 06/01/12 12:42, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

It sounds as if the problem is that a basic and well-used option has
been removed and the OP wants it back.

The question was to discover why someone feels the need to kill their
desktop. As far as I can see it's only 'well used' by people who have
some other issue with their system. Perhaps a video driver that goes
haywire, or an app that misbehaves when setting resolution.

Perhaps there's an underlying nut-sized problem which could do with
addressing rather than using the hammer to crack it.

Al.

When something hangs the machine, you have two options: shut down the
machine from the keyboard, hopefully a graceful shutdown, or push the
button on the front of the computer case. (That latter is the hammer,
not the k/b input.) If you can get to the terminal, you can do
shutdown -h now
but if you can't get there, then ctrl-alt-bs should work. If Ubuntu
has removed that, they have screwed up yet again!
_After_ you have gotten out of the hang, _then_ you can try and find the
problem and fix it. Not when the machine is hung.

--doug