Old 01-04-2012, 07:03 PM
Alessio Tomelleri

Default slow transfer to usbstick

It's past long time until nowadays and still I'm suffering of this
problem, I remember the same problem also with Natty. I've an notebook
Asus X53S (MB ver. F3SA) with Ubuntu 11.10. In the meanwhile that I'm
writing this mail, I'm also transferring a folder on an usbstick (about
something more of 4Gb with 16 files, some of this are of 1Gb of size)
and the current speed is less of 1Mb, of course I'm writing about usb
2.0. Notice, that with external hard disk (same usb port), the speed
transfer is about 20/30Mb

please a solution is required, it's really annoying this problem.

thx, Alessio.

--
Alessio Tomelleri
Registered Linux user: nr.496721

GPG public key 0x083B474C

Old 01-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Yorvyk

On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 21:03:45 +0100
Alessio Tomelleri <alessio.tomelleri@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's past long time until nowadays and still I'm suffering of this
> problem, I remember the same problem also with Natty. I've an notebook
> Asus X53S (MB ver. F3SA) with Ubuntu 11.10. In the meanwhile that I'm
> writing this mail, I'm also transferring a folder on an usb stick (about
> something more of 4Gb with 16 files, some of this are of 1Gb of size)
> and the current speed is less of 1Mb, of course I'm writing about usb
> 2.0. Notice, that with external hard disk (same usb port), the speed
> transfer is about 20/30Mb
>
> please a solution is required, it's really annoying this problem.

Could it be as simple as the flash drive being rather slow. I have a some cheap flash drives that dawdle along at 2-3Mb/s no matter which machine or OS is used.

--
Yorvyk

Old 01-04-2012, 09:36 PM
Tamás Gajdos

I have two usb sticks a Verbatim, which works at 10 Mb/sec nearly and a no-name which starts at 8 Mb/sec and when it reaches 120 Mb of copied data, it slowes to 1,2 Mb/sec and stays there till the end.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:50 PM
David Fletcher

On Wed, 2012-01-04 at 23:36 +0100, Tamás Gajdos wrote:
> I have two usb sticks a Verbatim, which works at 10 Mb/sec nearly and
> a no-name which starts at 8 Mb/sec and when it reaches 120 Mb of
> copied data, it slowes to 1,2 Mb/sec and stays there till the end.

When I transfer OSM based maps to the micro SD card in my Garmin eTrex
it takes ages and ages, but gets there eventually. Strange thing is, it
seems to get to 99.9% 10 times quicker than the last bit takes.

Dave

Old 01-05-2012, 09:41 AM
Yorvyk

On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 22:50:18 +0000
David Fletcher <dave@thefletchers.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-01-04 at 23:36 +0100, Tamás Gajdos wrote:
> > I have two usb sticks a Verbatim, which works at 10 Mb/sec nearly and
> > a no-name which starts at 8 Mb/sec and when it reaches 120 Mb of
> > copied data, it slows to 1,2 Mb/sec and stays there till the end.
> >

> When I transfer OSM based maps to the micro SD card in my Garmin eTrex
> it takes ages and ages, but gets there eventually. Strange thing is, it
> seems to get to 99.9% 10 times quicker than the last bit takes.

It can be quite frustrating waiting for that last 0.1% to finish. This is due to the data being cached before being written to the card.

--
Yorvyk

Old 01-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Alessio Tomelleri

...we are on the same way, I get same behaviour with mine
usbstick... it starts the transfer at light speed* until about 120mb
and after go down as a snail at 1mb something less or more...

wrote:

> It's past long time until nowadays and still I'm
suffering of this

> problem, I remember the same problem also with Natty.
I've an notebook

> Asus X53S (MB ver. F3SA) with Ubuntu 11.10. In the
meanwhile that I'm

> writing this mail, I'm also transferring a folder on an
usb stick (about

> something more of 4Gb with 16 files, some
of this are of 1Gb of size)

> and the current speed is less of 1Mb, of course I'm
writing about *usb

> 2.0. Notice, that with external hard disk (same usb
port), the speed

> transfer is about 20/30Mb

> please a solution is required, it's really annoying
this problem.

Could it be as simple as the flash drive being rather slow. *I
have a some cheap flash drives that dawdle along at 2-3Mb/s no
matter which machine or OS is used.

--

Yorvyk

Alessio Tomelleri
Registered Linux user: nr.496721

GPG public key 0x083B474C

In risposta alla domanda: "Qual'č il gioco piů grande, gli scacchi o la dama ?", in tutta franchezza devo privilegiare gli scacchi (W. Banks, Campione del mondo di dama alla cieca).

Old 01-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Alessio Tomelleri

...I'm not sure it's due a cheap usbstick... 'cause I remember it got a
fast speed in the first time of its life, I think it was until ubuntu
10.10... mine usbstick is a Sandisk 16Gb and it has no more 2 years, for
sure less of three. It's a bit odds to me, think it is just "old"...

Old 01-05-2012, 01:41 PM
subhajit bandyopadhyay

Hello*Alessio Tomelleri,I also have the problem. I formatted my usb drive in ntfs and the transfer speed increased. I suggest to format it in ntfs. *

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 1:33 AM, Alessio Tomelleri <alessio.tomelleri@gmail.com> wrote:

It's past long time until nowadays and still I'm suffering of this

problem, I remember the same problem also with Natty. I've an notebook

Asus X53S (MB ver. F3SA) with Ubuntu 11.10. In the meanwhile that I'm

writing this mail, I'm also transferring a folder on an usbstick (about

something more of 4Gb with 16 files, some of this are of 1Gb of size)

and the current speed is less of 1Mb, of course I'm writing about *usb

2.0. Notice, that with external hard disk (same usb port), the speed

transfer is about 20/30Mb

please a solution is required, it's really annoying this problem.

thx, Alessio.

--

Alessio Tomelleri

Registered Linux user: nr.496721

GPG public key 0x083B474C

Techie Guy |*Linux Enthusiast | twitter |*launchpad

Old 01-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Alessio Tomelleri

thx subhajit** ...it's just formatted with ntfs filesystem, I've not
tried formatting that too, but I could give a try...

Old 01-06-2012, 07:55 AM
Basil Chupin

On 05/01/12 07:03, Alessio Tomelleri wrote:

It's past long time until nowadays and still I'm suffering of this
problem, I remember the same problem also with Natty. I've an notebook
Asus X53S (MB ver. F3SA) with Ubuntu 11.10. In the meanwhile that I'm
writing this mail, I'm also transferring a folder on an usbstick (about
something more of 4Gb with 16 files, some of this are of 1Gb of size)
and the current speed is less of 1Mb, of course I'm writing about usb
2.0. Notice, that with external hard disk (same usb port), the speed
transfer is about 20/30Mb

please a solution is required, it's really annoying this problem.

thx, Alessio.

At least 2 things affect the transfer speed to an USB stick: the
brand/make of the USB stick and the software you are using to do the
transfer.

There are 2 fast USB sticks around (at least the last time I looked into
this) and one of the them is one of the models of Corsair, but I do not
remember what the other one is. I have a few Corsairs and also a few of
the Kingston brand (also had some others). The Kingstons are SLOW
compared to the Corsairs - and the Corsairs I have are not the fastest
versions of Corsair. To get an example of the speeds of, say, Corsairs,
go to their site and check out the specs for the models and you will see
the read/write speeds of the various models.

The second thing which will affect speed is the copying program you are
using. If you are using something like Dolphin or Nautilus you will find
that the speed is relatively slow. But the speed picks up quite a bit if
you use mc (Midnight Commander) - which is what I always use. I suspect
that mc has less overhead and baggage which makes it copy a lot faster.

BC

--
What religion were Adam and Eve?