-   -   Command to tell whether it ubuntu and mac (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/616595-command-tell-whether-ubuntu-mac.html)

Peng Yu 01-03-2012 04:53 PM

Command to tell whether it ubuntu and mac

Hi,

I want to make a script work for both mac and ubuntu. Is there a
command that I can tell me whether I'm on an ubuntu or on a mac?

Peng

Avi Greenbury 01-03-2012 06:55 PM

Peng Yu wrote:

> I want to make a script work for both mac and ubuntu. Is there a
> command that I can tell me whether I'm on an ubuntu or on a mac?

Several. A mac wont, for example, have any files of the
form /boot/vmlinuz, or a /proc.

uname is probably the most appropriate one - OSX uses a Darwin kernel
while Ubuntu uses a Linux one.

What are you writing the script in? There's a few utilities that can
help with the various changes you'll need to make to your assumptions
for different systems.

--
Avi

Peng Yu 01-03-2012 08:42 PM

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Avi Greenbury <lists@avi.co> wrote:
> Peng Yu wrote:
>
>> I want to make a script work for both mac and ubuntu. Is there a
>> command that I can tell me whether I'm on an ubuntu or on a mac?
>
> Several. A mac wont, for example, have any files of the
> form /boot/vmlinuz, or a /proc.
>
> uname is probably the most appropriate one - OSX uses a Darwin kernel
> while Ubuntu uses a Linux one.
>
> What are you writing the script in? There's a few utilities that can
> help with the various changes you'll need to make to your assumptions
> for different systems.

bash. So I guess the two approaches just you suggested are sufficient.
Let me know if there are additional ones that are good with bash.

Peng

Hal Burgiss 01-04-2012 01:39 AM

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 4:42 PM, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Avi Greenbury <lists@avi.co> wrote:

> Peng Yu wrote:

>> I want to make a script work for both mac and ubuntu. Is there a

>> command that I can tell me whether I'm on an ubuntu or on a mac?

uname would probably give you what you need.
*$ uname -oGNU/Linux
On my Macbook, I get something like 'Darwin'. YMMV.

$ uname -o |grep Linux>/dev/null && is_linux=true || is_linux=false$ echo $is_linuxtrue
--*Hal