Old 01-03-2012, 03:54 AM
Rajeev Prasad

Default tinyMCE as web based editor ?

Hello,

Has anyone ever used, tinyMCE as
web based editor (to run inside the browser) to edit the perl/php/shell
scripts on the server? I am looking for some direction and advice?

thank you.
Rajeev

Old 01-03-2012, 05:27 AM
Dotan Cohen

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 06:54, Rajeev Prasad <rp.neuli@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Has anyone ever used, tinyMCE as
> web based editor (to run inside the browser) to edit the perl/php/shell
> scripts on the server? I am looking for some direction and advice?

No web-based editors support tabs. For me that was a major issue, the
solution was simple though. Just use a regular textarea, and if need
be then copy the text to the OS's default text editor, then paste back
to the textarea when you are done editing. For simple (non-OOP)
scripts this is adequate.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 01-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Chris Green

On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 08:54:39PM -0800, Rajeev Prasad wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Has anyone ever used, tinyMCE as
> web based editor (to run inside the browser) to edit the perl/php/shell
> scripts on the server? I am looking for some direction and advice?

Much better in my opinion is to use the "It's All Text" plugin which
allows you to choose whatever 'proper' editor you want to use on any
textarea.

--
Chris Green

Old 01-03-2012, 09:50 AM
Chris Green

On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 08:27:23AM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 06:54, Rajeev Prasad <rp.neuli@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Has anyone ever used, tinyMCE as
> > web based editor (to run inside the browser) to edit the perl/php/shell
> > scripts on the server? I am looking for some direction and advice?
> >

> No web-based editors support tabs. For me that was a major issue, the
> solution was simple though. Just use a regular textarea, and if need
> be then copy the text to the OS's default text editor, then paste back
> to the textarea when you are done editing. For simple (non-OOP)
> scripts this is adequate.

If you do this a lot then install the Firefox "It's All Text" plugin
which effectively automates the process of copying the textarea back and
forth to a local editor of your choice.

--
Chris Green