Old 01-02-2012, 11:36 PM
Knute Johnson

Default How to setup DNS server list on a static IP Ubuntu server?

I had a power hit that required me to reload my Ubuntu server. In the
process I had it running on my local network with DHCP until I got
everything configured. Now I put it up on my wild IP and have had some
difficulty configuring it back to static IP with domain names not
resolving. Ubuntu server 11.10.

/etc/resolv.conf

# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
resolvconf(8)

# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN

This was where you used to put the DNS servers in the older version of
Ubuntu. So I looked in the /etc/network/interfaces file and found;

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 216.240.58.140
netmask 255.255.255.248
network 216.240.58.0
broadcast 216.240.58.143
gateway 216.240.58.137
# dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if
installed

dns-nameservers
dns-search com

Putting the DNS servers on the 'dns-nameservers' line appears to work
but there are more files, /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base, head, tail
and original. original has this in it;

domain ljr-int-wan.frazmtn.com
search ljr-int-wan.frazmtn.com
nameserver 4.2.2.1
nameserver 4.2.2.2

The domain and search were apparently found by the installation program
as that was the correct name for the outside. I did put those name
servers in when I installed too.

The documentation at
https://help.ubuntu.com/11.10/serverguide/C/network-configuration.html
is old and doesn't mention any of these new files or the
/sbin/resolvconf program.

Does anybody know how it is really supposed to be set up and managed?
Or do you know where there is some documentation that applies?

Thanks,

--

Knute Johnson

Old 01-03-2012, 12:34 AM
Karl Auer

On Mon, 2012-01-02 at 16:36 -0800, Knute Johnson wrote:
> iface eth0 inet static
> address 216.240.58.140
> netmask 255.255.255.248
> network 216.240.58.0
> broadcast 216.240.58.143
> gateway 216.240.58.137

That doesn't look right. The network should be 216.240.58.136, shouldn't
it?

Not that it is likely to have anything to do with your DNS issues.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer@biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer

GPG fingerprint: AE1D 4868 6420 AD9A A698 5251 1699 7B78 4EEE 6017
Old fingerprint: DA41 51B1 1481 16E1 F7E2 B2E9 3007 14ED 5736 F687

Old 01-03-2012, 04:12 AM
Knute Johnson

That doesn't look right. The network should be 216.240.58.136, shouldn't
it?

Not that it is likely to have anything to do with your DNS issues.

Regards, K.

You are probably right on that Karl. I'll put that on the list too.

--

Knute Johnson

Old 01-03-2012, 06:53 AM
sktsee

[...]

The apt-cache description for the resolvconf package says you should
look at the README file in /usr/share/doc/resolvconf for detailed
instructions. Although I don't use resolvconf, I did examine the package
and found that it employs debconf. This means that running "sudo
dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf" should step you through series of screens
for setting config options.

--
sktsee

Old 01-03-2012, 04:05 PM