Old 01-02-2012, 03:03 PM
PM

Default Why using Virtualization is making system hangs?

Hi,

Can one precisely tell me why the system hangs so often while using
any guest in the host Ubuntu? Also, "Ctrl+Backspace" makes the logout
of the host irrespective of the guest distribution in VM, is it
normal?

Thanks.

PM

Old 01-02-2012, 03:34 PM
"compdoc"

> Can one precisely tell me why the system hangs so often while using any
guest in the host Ubuntu?

I have never experienced a system hang using qemu-kvm or virtualbox on an
Ubuntu host. I have linux and Windows guests running 24/7.

Is it the guest that hangs, or the host? Maybe you can describe a bit more
detail?

Old 01-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Bill Stanley

Can one precisely tell me why the system hangs so often while using
any guest in the host Ubuntu? Also, "Ctrl+Backspace" makes the logout
of the host irrespective of the guest distribution in VM, is it
normal?

You are very vague about your problem. Could you state the version
number of the host. the name of the virtual machine software and its
version (VirtualBox, VMware, etc.) and also the guest machine OS. If it
seems that a particular application is involved, that would be helpful
as well.

Bill Stanley

Old 01-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Nils Kassube

PM wrote:
> Can one precisely tell me why the system hangs so often while using
> any guest in the host Ubuntu?

I think it is very difficult to give a precise explanation to your
extremly vague question. Please elaborate:
- Which Ubuntu version do you use?
- Which Interface is in use (Unity-3d/-2d, Gnome, KDE, XFCE, ...)?
- What virtualization software do you use?
- What specs has your machine (CPUs, speed, memory)?
- How much memory do you give to the guest system?
- Is there a lot of activity in the guest system when the host hangs?

> Also, "Ctrl+Backspace" makes the logout
> of the host irrespective of the guest distribution in VM, is it
> normal?

Sure. Your virtualized guest system is just another application for your
host system. If you decide to logout, the host expects you to know what
you are doing, i.e. it will shut down your virtualized system like all
other applications which are in use.

Nils

Old 01-02-2012, 06:29 PM
PM

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 10:04 PM, compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com> wrote:

>> Can one precisely tell me why the system hangs so often while using any
> guest in the host Ubuntu?

> I have never experienced a system hang using qemu-kvm or virtualbox on an
> Ubuntu host. I have linux and Windows guests running 24/7.
>
> Is it the guest that hangs, or the host? Maybe you can describe a bit more
> detail?

I really forgot to add the details, it was just virtual box in Ubuntu
LTS 10.04 (OSE) which is the host and the guest being openSUSE 11.4,
however, the hangings are in the guest (not in the host). But the
hangings means just for some moments the PC is taking any keyboard
input and doing nothing, not responding (like, e.g., opening an
applications in the guest) but this is random (like it sometimes
happens and sometimes not).......

Old 01-02-2012, 06:30 PM
PM

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 10:11 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:

>> Also, "Ctrl+Backspace" makes the logout
>> of the host irrespective of the guest distribution in VM, is it
>> normal?

> Sure. Your virtualized guest system is just another application for your
> host system. If you decide to logout, the host expects you to know what
> you are doing, i.e. it will shut down your virtualized system like all
> other applications which are in use.

Okay, what I though that "Ctrl+Backspace" would rather logout the user
just in the guest but it made the log out of the host.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:58 PM
Avi Greenbury

PM wrote:
> I really forgot to add the details, it was just virtual box in Ubuntu
> LTS 10.04 (OSE) which is the host and the guest being openSUSE 11.4,
> however, the hangings are in the guest (not in the host). But the
> hangings means just for some moments the PC is taking any keyboard
> input and doing nothing, not responding (like, e.g., opening an
> applications in the guest) but this is random (like it sometimes
> happens and sometimes not).......

Does allocating more resources to the guest help at all? What sort of
resources have you allocated it currently, and is there any pattern to
its hanging - are there particular jobs it's in the middle of, or at
particular times or something?

--
Avi

Old 01-04-2012, 05:01 AM
PM

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 1:28 AM, Avi Greenbury <lists@avi.co> wrote:

> Does allocating more resources to the guest help at all? What sort of
> resources have you allocated it currently, and is there any pattern to
> its hanging - are there particular jobs it's in the middle of, or at
> particular times or something?

The most amazing part of this type of incident is that the hangings
are found only in the guest which uses .rpm package managers, but the
guests which uses .deb packaging systems are not getting hanged in the
Virtual Box OSE in Ubuntu LTS 10.04. This I saw just from the
practical visualization. Out of 2 GB RAM, I have allocated to each
guest around 720 MB (yes, only one guest I use at a time and at that
time host is no more used, so there should not be any RAM issue).
However, out of 250 HDD, each guest has memory flexible upto a maximum
of 20 GB. While only openSUSE showed the hangings but not Kubuntu and
PCLinuxOS. Well, I still see what's the other differences are....