Old 01-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Carsten Agger

Default Ubuntu 11.10 performance

This has taken some time to build up and it's the first time since 2005
I've had so many problems with any version of Ubuntu, but I'm now
officially annoyed with the performance in Oneiric.

First I had a problem with overheating and shortened battery life of my
laptop, supposedly due to kernel problems with the onboard grafic
module. After adjusting some boot parameters
(http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/linux-power-regression-overheating-problem-on-thinkpad-fixed/)
this has become a little better. At least the battery tends to last more
than half an hour after a full recharge now ... but before I did that,
the computer used about 10W more than usual when doing performance-low
work and became unreasonably hot - as in, nearly get seriously burnt if
you place it in your lap.

After that, it got better ... but still: Whereas Ubuntu 10.04 used to
boot in about 30 seconds and was immediately responsive, 11.04 takes at
least two minutes to become responsive in Unity or Gnome shell. After
that, launching Firfox and Evolution takes more than a minute.

And that's with a quad core CPU and 4 GB of RAM!

At first, part of the problem was caused by the Ubuntu One client
apparently looping and using 100% of one CPU. I solved this (kinda) by
uninstalling the client and reinstalling it a couple of weeks later.

Later, heating and boot times became significantly worse because gwibber
was eating up all the CPU after boot. Which is something of a mystery,
because I have never used it and so have never configured any accounts.
Something is wrong if the desktop awards 100% of CPU time to a program
the user has never opened ...

SO, I managed to improve this situation by uninstalling gwibber
completely. This has the drawback of uninstalling the ubuntu-desktop
virtual package, but I did want to get rid of gwibber :-)

And all of this has improved things. But the laptop still overheats, and
the battery still won't last an hour on a full recharge where it's
supposed to last about two.

The other day, I tried booting pure:dyne based on Ubuntu 8.10 (I think,
or 9.04) from a USB stick. It *flew*! Quick boot, immediately
responsive, no overheating, nice battery life.

This is not to troll or to award any unreasonable criticism at Ubuntu,
but I'm really not happy about the performance in 11.10 and hope boot
and launch times as well as power consumption will be top priorities in
12.04. I like the Unity interface, but right now it seems to carry a
heavy price tag :-)

But can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong, or has anyone had similar
experiences with performance in 11.04?

Old 01-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Liam Proven

Old 01-02-2012, 12:03 PM
Liam Proven

On Jan 2, 2012 12:34 PM, "Carsten Agger" <agger@modspil.dk> wrote:

> This has taken some time to build up and it's the first time since 2005 I've had so many problems with any version of Ubuntu, but I'm now officially annoyed with the performance in Oneiric.

> First I had a problem with overheating and shortened battery life of my laptop, supposedly due to kernel problems with the onboard grafic module. After adjusting some boot parameters (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/linux-power-regression-overheating-problem-on-thinkpad-fixed/) this has become a little better. At least the battery tends to last more than half an hour after a full recharge now ... but before I did that, the computer used about 10W more than usual when doing performance-low work and became unreasonably hot - as in, nearly get seriously burnt if you place it in your lap.

> After that, it got better ... but still: Whereas Ubuntu 10.04 used to boot in about 30 seconds and was immediately responsive, 11.04 takes at least two minutes to become responsive in Unity or Gnome shell. After that, launching Firfox and Evolution takes more than a minute.

> And that's with a quad core CPU and 4 GB of RAM!

> At first, part of the problem was caused by the Ubuntu One client apparently looping and using 100% of one CPU. I solved this (kinda) by uninstalling the client and reinstalling it a couple of weeks later.

> Later, heating and boot times became significantly worse because gwibber was eating up all the CPU after boot. Which is something of a mystery, because I have never used it and so have never configured any accounts. Something is wrong if the desktop awards 100% of CPU time to a program the user has never opened ...

> SO, I managed to improve this situation by uninstalling gwibber completely. This has the drawback of uninstalling the ubuntu-desktop virtual package, but I did want to get rid of gwibber :-)

> And all of this has improved things. But the laptop still overheats, and the battery still won't last an hour on a full recharge where it's supposed to last about two.

> The other day, I tried booting pure:dyne based on Ubuntu 8.10 (I think, or 9.04) from a USB stick. It *flew*! Quick boot, immediately responsive, no overheating, nice battery life.

> This is not to troll or to award any unreasonable criticism at Ubuntu, but I'm really not happy about the performance in 11.10 and hope boot and launch times as well as power consumption will be top priorities in 12.04. I like the Unity interface, but right now it seems to carry a heavy price tag :-)

> But can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong, or has anyone had similar experiences with performance in 11.04?

Sorry for the blank reply. My phone is playing up.

I can attest that the problem with Ubuntu One is not just you - I get that too. I just removed it. I use Dropbox instead.

I have not seem the rest, though. But yes, as Ubuntu grows, it is indeed getting slower.

- LP

Old 01-03-2012, 06:50 AM
Carsten Agger

I can attest that the problem with Ubuntu One is not just you - I get
that too. I just removed it. I use Dropbox instead.

I have not seem the rest, though. But yes, as Ubuntu grows, it is indeed
getting slower.

Thanks for your response.

Yesterday, I installed Xubuntu and started using it instead of Unity,
and that improved the situation somewhat.

There is still a problem, though, and Evolution and Firefox still take
unreasonably long time to launch. But it's clearly better with Xubuntu.

Still, I suspect the problem is probably kernel-related, i.e. bad
support for my hardware configuration. I still think that ordinary
desktop performance should never be a problem with a quad core CPU and 4
GB RAM.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:38 AM
Liam Proven

On 3 January 2012 07:50, Carsten Agger <agger@modspil.dk> wrote:

>> I can attest that the problem with Ubuntu One is not just you - I get
>> that too. I just removed it. I use Dropbox instead.
>>
>> I have not seem the rest, though. But yes, as Ubuntu grows, it is indeed
>> getting slower.
>>

> Thanks for your response.

I am sorry that it was not more informative!

> Yesterday, I installed Xubuntu and started using it instead of Unity, and
> that improved the situation somewhat.

Yes, I can believe that!

> There is still a problem, though, and Evolution and Firefox still take
> unreasonably long time to launch. But it's clearly better with Xubuntu.
>
> Still, I suspect the problem is probably kernel-related, i.e. bad support
> for my hardware configuration. I still think that ordinary desktop
> performance should never be a problem with a quad core CPU and 4 GB RAM.

I agree.

Questions:
* Are you using a 32-bit or 64-bit install?
* Was this a clean install or an upgrade?

I suggest doing a clean install on a temp root partition. If your home
directory tree is on the same partition as root, I'd suggest moving it
to a separate one, then you can share it between multiple installs,
which makes testing /much/ easier.

With 4GB of RAM, I'd also suggest running 64-bit. Yes, PAE will let
you access it all, but in a slightly constrained way.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 01-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Chris Green

On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 12:38:15PM +0000, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 3 January 2012 07:50, Carsten Agger <agger@modspil.dk> wrote:
> >
> >> I can attest that the problem with Ubuntu One is not just you - I get
> >> that too. I just removed it. I use Dropbox instead.
> >>
> >> I have not seem the rest, though. But yes, as Ubuntu grows, it is indeed
> >> getting slower.
> >>

> > Thanks for your response.
>
> I am sorry that it was not more informative!
>
> > Yesterday, I installed Xubuntu and started using it instead of Unity, and
> > that improved the situation somewhat.
>
> Yes, I can believe that!
>
> > There is still a problem, though, and Evolution and Firefox still take
> > unreasonably long time to launch. But it's clearly better with Xubuntu.

That's Evolution rather than the underlying Linux version I think. On
my I3 quad processor system it takes several seconds to start Evolution.
I no longer use it.

--
Chris Green

Old 01-03-2012, 10:06 PM
James Freer

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 7:50 AM, Carsten Agger <agger@modspil.dk> wrote:
> Yesterday, I installed Xubuntu and started using it instead of Unity, and
> that improved the situation somewhat.
>
> There is still a problem, though, and Evolution and Firefox still take
> unreasonably long time to launch. But it's clearly better with Xubuntu.

I found Firefox would launch ok but tended to 'hang' on exiting and
now use Chrome (which is fast), Thunderbird and Evolution i found
hopelessly slow for imap - use Alpine now which is like lightning to
use. Mutt's an alternative but takes too long to set up (for me!).

james

Old 01-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Carsten Agger

* Are you using a 32-bit or 64-bit install?
* Was this a clean install or an upgrade?

I suggest doing a clean install on a temp root partition. If your home
directory tree is on the same partition as root, I'd suggest moving it
to a separate one, then you can share it between multiple installs,
which makes testing /much/ easier.

I think I'm running 32 bit and it's a third generation upgrade (i.e.,
from 10.10).

You're right - that might be the cause of some of the trouble. I'll try
doing a clean install with a 64 bit system and see if it helps.

Thanks,

Carsten

Old 01-04-2012, 11:40 PM
Liam Proven

On 4 January 2012 13:12, Carsten Agger <agger@modspil.dk> wrote:
> Den 03-01-2012 13:38, Liam Proven skrev:
>
>> I agree.
>>
>> Questions:
>> * Are you using a 32-bit or 64-bit install?
>> * Was this a clean install or an upgrade?
>>
>> I suggest doing a clean install on a temp root partition. If your home
>> directory tree is on the same partition as root, I'd suggest moving it
>> to a separate one, then you can share it between multiple installs,
>> which makes testing /much/ easier.
>>
> I think I'm running 32 bit and it's a third generation upgrade (i.e., from
> 10.10).
>
> You're right - that might be the cause of some of the trouble. I'll try
> doing a clean install with a 64 bit system and see if it helps.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884