-   -   Unity Interface sucks, Any alternatives (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/616080-unity-interface-sucks-any-alternatives.html)

Md Ashickur Rahman Noor 01-02-2012 10:31 AM

Unity Interface sucks, Any alternatives

See here

5-alternatives-unity-ubuntu-users-linux----------------------------------------------------------
Dedicated Linux Forum in Bangladesh

2048R/89C932E1
Volunteer, Foundation for Open Source Solutions Bangladesh.
01611151550

On 2 January 2012 17:27, Mihamina Rakotomandimby <mihamina@rktmb.org> wrote:

On 01/02/2012 02:24 PM, MirJafar Ali wrote:

Hello,

I just hate Unity interfaces, is there any way to revert back to Old

Ununtu interfaces ?

Install a XUbuntu and see.

--

RMA.

Johnny 01-02-2012 04:21 PM

Unity Interface sucks, Any alternatives

When you log in you can check gnome. Can't say I love Unity. But
like it better than anything else.

Good Luck and God Bless Johnny3 65+++

I just hate Unity interfaces, is there any way to revert back to
Old Ununtu interfaces ?

I am sorry for using such harsh words, but Unity deserves stronger
words.

Mir.

"compdoc" 01-02-2012 04:26 PM

Unity Interface sucks, Any alternatives

> I just hate Unity interfaces, is there any way to revert back to Old Ununtu interfaces ?
*
*
There was an article today about the Unity interface, and about Gnome 3. The next LTS release of Ubuntu will be supported for 5 years instead of the normal 3 years.
This may be the last desktop release of Ubuntu. They feel that tablets and phones are the future. Since I use Ubuntu Desktop for my servers, this is unwelcome news.
*
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01/02/linux_in_2011/
*

Alain Muls 01-02-2012 04:39 PM

On 2 January 2012 13:00, <ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Message: 4
> Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 05:24:00 -0600
> From: MirJafar Ali <mirjafarali@gmail.com>
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, * * not for general discussions"
> * * * *<ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Unity Interface sucks, Any alternatives
>
> Hello,
>
> I just hate Unity interfaces, is there any way to revert back to Old Ununtu
> interfaces ?
>
> I am sorry for using such harsh words, but Unity deserves stronger words.
>
> Mir.

Hi All,

I followed most of the discussions about how Unity sucks and how that
everyone is searching to return to the "good old gnome2" interface.
I do not understand this criticism. I am happy with Ubuntu and its
Unity interface. I work with dual monitors and the system is just
plain good.
Under gnome2 I had a very cluttered interface, since I was piling up
the upper bar with shortcuts and applets. Also the lower bar was not
really to my linking since I had to look for the application by
reading names. When I had several terminals open, I either made them
come together in 1 place, but I usually had to click on several
terminals to get to the right one.

When I switched to Unity, well, at first I had to get used to it. What
I did was checking out the shortcuts which are really a time saver,
also much quicker than in gnome2.
Several terminals (or for that matter any other program) are handily
indicated by little triangles next to its icon. Clicking twice on it
will visually display them allowing me to pick out the one I need now.
Also the file lens is very handy. At first it is not really good in
showing what you need, but the more you use it, the better it is in
displaying what you need. I do not know what mechanism is behind it,
but I like it now and use it mainly for looking up files in stead of
browsing through nautilus. I also feel that the lenses are getting
better and soon there will be different helpful lenses available.

I tried mint with its MGSE all installed. Well going through the
hierarchical menu gave me a feeling of past times.

In stead of complaining after a couple of hours (or minutes) of usage,
try to stick with it for 30 days. Then, and only then, make your
judgement.

Gnome 2 is dead, go for Gnome 3 and select your shell (either Gnome
shell or Unity), or just leave the gnome desktop and do not start a
flame war.

It is usually those who do not like something that will complain,
those who like it are the silent ones (perhaps majority)

Billie Walsh 01-02-2012 05:16 PM

Unity Interface sucks, Any alternatives