Old 01-02-2012, 11:22 PM
sdavmor

Default Unity Interface sucks, Any alternatives

On 01/02/2012 01:36 PM, Liam Proven wrote:

On 2 January 2012 21:31, sdavmor<sdavmor@systemstheory.net> wrote:

On 01/02/2012 11:18 AM, Liam Proven wrote:

On 2 January 2012 18:40, Johnny<candj01@att.net> wrote:

I am with you Alain. If you don't like Unity just log in as Gnome.

That's not an option in 11.10 or later.

I don't
like Gnome it takes up to much desktop and I have a 27 inch monitor.

I have two 21" monitors, myself. I find Unity takes /less/ space than
GNOME 2 did.

GNOME 2 is dead. No matter if you upgrade to 11.10 or do a clean
install, GNOME 2 is removed. This will also be true in 12.04 - GNOME 2
is not coming back.

If you really want a two-panel desktop, then install Xubuntu. If you
have already installed 11.10, then do:

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

... Or use Synaptic or the Software Centre, search for the
"xubunto-desktop" package and install it and all its dependences. Then
choose "Xubuntu" at the login screen.

I'm responding to this on a system on which I installed MATE, the Gnome2
fork a couple of weeks ago. Works great.

Nifty! How did you do that? Is there a PPA?

Go here:
http://mate.karapetsas.com/

And here:
http://matsusoft.com.ar/projects/mate/index.en.html

And here:

Updating MATE is still a bit iffy, because there's no authentication
on the PPA, so update-manager doesn't want to work with it. But I've
done two or three patch updates via command line and sudo apt-get
update/upgrade.

http://mikedickson.org.uk

Old 01-03-2012, 12:41 AM
"Juan R. de Silva"

On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 19:15:18 +0000, Liam Proven wrote:

> And the longer LTS release - which just means supporting the desktop for
> as long as the server has always been, that's all ...

Pay attention to the fact that GNOME 3.4 will be released a month before
Ubuntu LTS, but Canonical decision was to skip it and release the next
LTS
with GNOME 3.2.

The all at a sudden (?) longer LTS release also means that Ubuntu users
who prefer GNOME Shell interface over Unity will have to stuck with GNOME
3.2 for 5 years instead of usual 3.

IMHO, it's quite explicitly meant to cut off GNOME Shell and aimed to
promoting Unity. And, though I personally prefer Unity over GNOME Shell,
I do not find it fair towards Ubuntu users. The damn right to decide
which interface to use should be left to them.

IMHO pushing to much at times seems disrespectful to users, and Canonical
should never forget that, at least partially, they owe their success to
their users.

> In other words: sheesh, people, calm down and stop overreacting!

I agree there is a lot of overreaction going on around. But
unfortunately, Canonical contributes to it quite a bit (read above). It
is MHO that Canonical has all the rights to drive Ubuntu to whatever they
see and feel is the right direction. However a little bit more of
diplomacy dealing with the users that contributed to their success would
never harm.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:14 AM
Ric Moore