FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Johnny
 
Default Unity Interface sucks, Any alternatives

That's not an option in 11.10 or later.
It is on my Ubuntu 11.10. It is probably gnome 3 but it look just like
the old Ubuntu. At my has gnome, classic gnome, Unity and Unity2. Just
did it.

Happy New Year and God Bless Johnny3 65++

On 01/02/2012 02:35 PM, Joseph Loo wrote:

On 01/02/2012 11:18 AM, Liam Proven wrote:

On 2 January 2012 18:40, Johnny<candj01@att.net> wrote:

I am with you Alain. If you don't like Unity just log in as Gnome.

That's not an option in 11.10 or later.



use your favorite package manager and down load gnome-shell. When you
are in the login, each user has wheel that allows you to pick
different shells. I use gnome - classic. I find that Unity with a
small screen size, e.g. netbook. makes it very hard to navigate.





--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Liam Proven
 
Default Unity Interface sucks, Any alternatives

On 2 January 2012 19:45, Johnny <candj01@att.net> wrote:
> That's not an option in 11.10 or later.
> It is on my Ubuntu 11.10. It is probably gnome 3 but it look just like the
> old Ubuntu. At my has gnome, classic gnome, Unity and Unity2. Just did it.

Then you've installed GNOME 3 on it. That's fine, it's an option, but
it's not there as standard, so people can't just choose GNOME Classic
at the login menu until they've used Unity and its Software Centre (or
something) to install GNOME 3.

--
Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-02-2012, 07:10 PM
Joseph Loo
 
Default Unity Interface sucks, Any alternatives

On 01/02/2012 11:41 AM, Liam Proven wrote:

On 2 January 2012 19:35, Joseph Loo<jloo20111002@gmail.com> wrote:

On 01/02/2012 11:18 AM, Liam Proven wrote:

On 2 January 2012 18:40, Johnny<candj01@att.net> wrote:

I am with you Alain. If you don't like Unity just log in as Gnome.

That's not an option in 11.10 or later.


I don't
like Gnome it takes up to much desktop and I have a 27 inch monitor.

I have two 21" monitors, myself. I find Unity takes /less/ space than
GNOME 2 did.

GNOME 2 is dead. No matter if you upgrade to 11.10 or do a clean
install, GNOME 2 is removed. This will also be true in 12.04 - GNOME 2
is not coming back.

If you really want a two-panel desktop, then install Xubuntu. If you
have already installed 11.10, then do:

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

... Or use Synaptic or the Software Centre, search for the
"xubunto-desktop" package and install it and all its dependences. Then
choose "Xubuntu" at the login screen.



use your favorite package manager and down load gnome-shell. When you are in
the login, each user has wheel that allows you to pick different shells. I
use gnome - classic.

That's true - that is called Fallback Mode. It may be removed in a
future version of GNOME 3. It is not the same as GNOME 2, although it
looks similar - you can't use GNOME 2 applets and it can't be
customised as much as GNOME 2, nor in the same ways.

Xubuntu is lighter-weight, very customisable, can run GNOME 2 applets,
and is not expected to disappear in the near future. I reckon it's a
better option, which is why I recommended it - but you are correct,
GNOME 3 in Fallback Mode /is/ an option.


I find that Unity with a small screena whole bunch size, e.g.
netbook. makes it very hard to navigate.

That seems strange to me - that's what it was originally designed for,
and in my experience, it works well, leaving more of that precious
vertical screen space free than GNOME 2.

It doeds not work very well. If you load zindus on thunderbird, it cuts
off the bottom. Making it difficult to see. I usually run multiple
windows at a time. It is constantly making it fullo screen hiding the
windows. In addition, you have to keep searching for the different apps
all the time. it makes it difficult to find. @ the beginning it requires
searching all the time to bring the terminal line command. The window
system is 2x2 making it hard to maneuver. Granted, I could get use to
it, but that are exta key strokes I have to remember on where to maneuver.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-02-2012, 07:12 PM
Joseph Loo
 
Default Unity Interface sucks, Any alternatives

On 01/02/2012 11:45 AM, Johnny wrote:

That's not an option in 11.10 or later.
It is on my Ubuntu 11.10. It is probably gnome 3 but it look just like
the old Ubuntu. At my has gnome, classic gnome, Unity and Unity2. Just
did it.

Happy New Year and God Bless Johnny3 65++

On 01/02/2012 02:35 PM, Joseph Loo wrote:

On 01/02/2012 11:18 AM, Liam Proven wrote:

On 2 January 2012 18:40, Johnny<candj01@att.net> wrote:

I am with you Alain. If you don't like Unity just log in as Gnome.

That's not an option in 11.10 or later.



use your favorite package manager and down load gnome-shell. When you
are in the login, each user has wheel that allows you to pick
different shells. I use gnome - classic. I find that Unity with a
small screen size, e.g. netbook. makes it very hard to navigate.






I am using it right now with 12.1

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-02-2012, 07:50 PM
"compdoc"
 
Default Unity Interface sucks, Any alternatives

> I think you - and perhaps the author of that article, Scott Gilbertson, I
believe* - have possibly misread the interview with the SABDFL.

Which interview is that, exactly? There seem to be a few. I saw nothing
about Mark Shuttleworth's vision of the future in the one I just read.

In any case, this isn't about me. I was only relaying the message from the
article. There is no overreacting.

Thanks for the rather lengthy opinion of the future of computing and Ubuntu,
but it's all rather pointless. Anyone claiming they know the future should
be locked up.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Liam Proven
 
Default Unity Interface sucks, Any alternatives

On 2 January 2012 20:10, Joseph Loo <jloo20111002@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/02/2012 11:41 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
>>
>> On 2 January 2012 19:35, Joseph Loo<jloo20111002@gmail.com> *wrote:
>>>
>>> On 01/02/2012 11:18 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
>>>>
>>>> On 2 January 2012 18:40, Johnny<candj01@att.net> * *wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> I am with you Alain. If you don't like Unity just log in as Gnome.
>>>>
>>>> That's not an option in 11.10 or later.
>>>>
>>>>> I don't
>>>>> like Gnome it takes up to much desktop and I have a 27 inch monitor.
>>>>
>>>> I have two 21" monitors, myself. I find Unity takes /less/ space than
>>>> GNOME 2 did.
>>>>
>>>> GNOME 2 is dead. No matter if you upgrade to 11.10 or do a clean
>>>> install, GNOME 2 is removed. This will also be true in 12.04 - GNOME 2
>>>> is not coming back.
>>>>
>>>> If you really want a two-panel desktop, then install Xubuntu. If you
>>>> have already installed 11.10, then do:
>>>>
>>>> sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
>>>>
>>>> ... Or use Synaptic or the Software Centre, search for the
>>>> "xubunto-desktop" package and install it and all its dependences. Then
>>>> choose "Xubuntu" at the login screen.
>>>>
>>>>
>>> use your favorite package manager and down load gnome-shell. When you are
>>> in
>>> the login, each user has wheel that allows you to pick different shells.
>>> I
>>> use gnome - classic.
>>
>> That's true - that is called Fallback Mode. It may be removed in a
>> future version of GNOME 3. It is not the same as GNOME 2, although it
>> looks similar - you can't use GNOME 2 applets and it can't be
>> customised as much as GNOME 2, nor in the same ways.
>>
>> Xubuntu is lighter-weight, very customisable, can run GNOME 2 applets,
>> and is not expected to disappear in the near future. I reckon it's a
>> better option, which is why I recommended it - but you are correct,
>> GNOME 3 in Fallback Mode /is/ an option.
>>
>>> I find that Unity with a small screena whole bunch *size, e.g.
>>>
>>> netbook. makes it very hard to navigate.
>>
>> That seems strange to me - that's what it was originally designed for,
>> and in my experience, it works well, leaving more of that precious
>> vertical screen space free than GNOME 2.
>>
> It doeds not work very well.

I was trying to make a point here that you seem to have missed. You
cannot simply say "it doesn't work well." I am using it right now and
it works very well indeed, thanks - *FOR ME.* You can certainly say
that you don't like it - that is perfectly fine and valid. But it
/does/ work for lots of people, myself included, so "it does not work
very well" is quite simply not a universally true statement. It may
not work /for you/ but it does work. I find it very pleasant to use.

> If you load zindus on thunderbird, it cuts off
> the bottom. Making it difficult to see.

Surely that is the fault of the screen size, not the desktop? If an
app fits on screen in GNOME 2, it will fit on screen with Unity, which
uses some 24 pixels less vertical screen space.

> *I usually run multiple windows at a
> time.

Me too.

> It is constantly making it fullo screen hiding the windows.

It doesn't. You might, by mistake, which is unfortunate, but Unity
does not force that on you.

> In
> addition, you have to keep searching for the different apps all the time.

Not here.

> it
> makes it difficult to find.

Not for me.

> @ the beginning it requires searching all the
> time to bring the terminal line command.

I press Ctrl-Alt-T for that, myself.

> The window system is 2x2 making it
> hard to maneuver.

Do you mean the virtual desktop layout? Yes, it is, but I don't find
that hard to use at all, myself.

> Granted, I could get use to it, but that are exta key
> strokes I have to remember on where to maneuver.

Well, yes, you do have to do some relearning - but so do all the other
tens of millions of Ubuntu users, I'm afraid.

--
Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Liam Proven
 
Default Unity Interface sucks, Any alternatives

On 2 January 2012 20:48, compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com> wrote:
>> I think you - and perhaps the author of that article, Scott Gilbertson, I
> believe* - have possibly misread the interview with the SABDFL.
>
> Which interview is that, exactly? There seem to be a few. I saw nothing
> about Mark Shuttleworth's vision of the future in the one I just read.

The message I was replying to said, as follows:
> On 2 January 2012 17:26, compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com> wrote:
>>
>> There was an article today about the Unity interface, and about Gnome 3. The
>> next LTS release of Ubuntu will be supported for 5 years instead of the
>> normal 3 years.
[...]
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01/02/linux_in_2011/

That article contains the following line:

«
In an interview earlier this year with ZDNet, Shuttleworth calls the
move away from the desktop a "natural progression" and says that
Canonical plans to "embrace the challenge of how to use Ubuntu on
smartphones, tablets and smart-screens."
»

The word "ZDnet" is a hotlink to this interview:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/ubuntu-linux-heads-to-smartphones-tablets-and-smart-tvs/9834

> In any case, this isn't about me. I was only relaying the message from the
> article. There is no overreacting.
>
> Thanks for the rather lengthy opinion of the future of computing and Ubuntu,
> but it's all rather pointless. Anyone claiming they know the future should
> be locked up.

Well, thanks for the constructive feedback. Sorry to waste your time.

--
Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-02-2012, 08:31 PM
sdavmor
 
Default Unity Interface sucks, Any alternatives

On 01/02/2012 11:18 AM, Liam Proven wrote:

On 2 January 2012 18:40, Johnny<candj01@att.net> wrote:

I am with you Alain. If you don't like Unity just log in as Gnome.


That's not an option in 11.10 or later.


I don't
like Gnome it takes up to much desktop and I have a 27 inch monitor.


I have two 21" monitors, myself. I find Unity takes /less/ space than
GNOME 2 did.

GNOME 2 is dead. No matter if you upgrade to 11.10 or do a clean
install, GNOME 2 is removed. This will also be true in 12.04 - GNOME 2
is not coming back.

If you really want a two-panel desktop, then install Xubuntu. If you
have already installed 11.10, then do:

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

... Or use Synaptic or the Software Centre, search for the
"xubunto-desktop" package and install it and all its dependences. Then
choose "Xubuntu" at the login screen.


I'm responding to this on a system on which I installed MATE, the
Gnome2 fork a couple of weeks ago. Works great.

--
Cheers, SDM -- a 21st Century Schizoid Man
Systems Theory project website: http://systemstheory.net
find us on MySpace, GarageBand, Reverb Nation, Last FM, CDBaby
free MP3s of Systems Theory, Mike Dickson & Greg Amov music at
http://mikedickson.org.uk

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Liam Proven
 
Default Unity Interface sucks, Any alternatives

On 2 January 2012 21:31, sdavmor <sdavmor@systemstheory.net> wrote:
> On 01/02/2012 11:18 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
>>
>> On 2 January 2012 18:40, Johnny<candj01@att.net> *wrote:
>>>
>>> I am with you Alain. If you don't like Unity just log in as Gnome.
>>
>>
>> That's not an option in 11.10 or later.
>>
>>> I don't
>>> like Gnome it takes up to much desktop and I have a 27 inch monitor.
>>
>>
>> I have two 21" monitors, myself. I find Unity takes /less/ space than
>> GNOME 2 did.
>>
>> GNOME 2 is dead. No matter if you upgrade to 11.10 or do a clean
>> install, GNOME 2 is removed. This will also be true in 12.04 - GNOME 2
>> is not coming back.
>>
>> If you really want a two-panel desktop, then install Xubuntu. If you
>> have already installed 11.10, then do:
>>
>> sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
>>
>> ... Or use Synaptic or the Software Centre, search for the
>> "xubunto-desktop" package and install it and all its dependences. Then
>> choose "Xubuntu" at the login screen.
>
> I'm responding to this on a system on which I installed MATE, the Gnome2
> fork a couple of weeks ago. *Works great.

Nifty! How did you do that? Is there a PPA?

--
Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-02-2012, 08:59 PM
James Freer
 
Default Unity Interface sucks, Any alternatives

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 11:31 AM, Md Ashickur Rahman Noor
<ashickur.noor@gmail.com> wrote:
> See here
>
> 5-alternatives-unity-ubuntu-users-linux
> ----------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for that link i enjoyed reading that

james

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:46 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org