-   -   VGA Card with Dual Monitor (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/615968-vga-card-dual-monitor.html)

Koh Choon Lin 01-01-2012 11:50 PM

VGA Card with Dual Monitor

Hi everyone

I would soon be building a desktop for trading with dual monitors (not
cloned). I would like to ask which graphic card works with dual
monitor function (and has 2 DVI output) and is supported by the Linux
kernel without the need to install additional drivers from the card
manufacturer.

Thanks for the help in advance!

--
Regards
Koh Choon Lin

Ross Schoenauer 01-02-2012 12:14 AM

VGA Card with Dual Monitor

I would soon be building a desktop for trading with dual monitors (not
cloned). I would like to ask which graphic card works with dual
monitor function (and has 2 DVI output) and is supported by the Linux
kernel without the need to install additional drivers from the card
manufacturer.

Thanks for the help in advance!

I use the the one listed below:

EVGA 01G-P3-N959-TR GeForce 9500 GT Video Card

*

*1GB DDR2, PCId

*Express 2.0, SLI* 1

*Support, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, VGA Support (E145-9504)

It works very well for me

Ross

Alexandros Ioannides 01-02-2012 01:40 AM

VGA Card with Dual Monitor

Hello friend,
*
I am a trader myself (with dual monitors), using MetaTrader.
*
First of all, I would like to tell you that I am an AMD and Ubuntu fun. Unfortunately I had issues with the two.
*
My advice to you, if you are using MetaTrader, go with Windows 7 and AMD cards. Unfortunately, linux (wine)*and trading are not that mature yet. If you can provide me with some more information (applications, desktop setup) I might help you more.

*
Kind regards,
*
Alexandros Ioannides

Roger 01-03-2012 09:31 PM

VGA Card with Dual Monitor

I would soon be building a desktop for trading with dual monitors (not
cloned). I would like to ask which graphic card works with dual
monitor function (and has 2 DVI output) and is supported by the Linux
kernel without the need to install additional drivers from the card
manufacturer.

Thanks for the help in advance!

--
Regards
Koh Choon Lin

Hi
I have been using nVidia GT8600 for a couple of years to drive 2 monitors.
It has the 2 DVI outputs, runs both on nvidia in ubuntu 11 and nouveau
on Fedora.

If you are running high end 3d animation then you need a capable card.
Roger

Swapnil Bhartiya 01-03-2012 09:34 PM

VGA Card with Dual Monitor

I would soon be building a desktop for trading with dual monitors (not
cloned). I would like to ask which graphic card works with dual
monitor function (and has 2 DVI output) and is supported by the Linux
kernel without the need to install additional drivers from the card
manufacturer.

Thanks for the help in advance!

--
Regards
Koh Choon Lin

Hi
I have been using nVidia GT8600 for a couple of years to drive 2 monitors.
It has the 2 DVI outputs, runs both on nvidia in ubuntu 11 and nouveau
on Fedora.

I have GTX470 with 2 DVI and one HDMI, works great with nouveau and
nvidia drivers.

Swapnil

Peter Boy 01-04-2012 10:44 PM

VGA Card with Dual Monitor

Am Dienstag, den 03.01.2012, 20:53 +0800 schrieb Koh Choon Lin:
> I would soon be building a desktop for trading with dual monitors (not
> cloned). I would like to ask which graphic card works with dual
> monitor function (and has 2 DVI output) and is supported by the Linux
> kernel without the need to install additional drivers from the card
> manufacturer.

Just bought a Zotac Geforce 210 Synergy Edition (ZT-20310). It's quite a
cheap office card, two dual-link DVI outputs, passive cooling without
additional noise. Dual Monitor works fine both with OSS and Nvidia
driver. Nvidia driver provides better hardware rendering / accel for 3D
games, CAD, etc. Card may not be suitable for gaming.

Another card I used is Radeon HD 5450, 2 DVI, passive cooling as well.
Works fine with OSS driver, but no HW accel available in F14, seems to
be supported in F15 and beyond (driver version 6.14.x). Closed source
AMD driver is awful, distorted display in firefox and some other
programs.

Previously used a Sapphire Radeon HD 3470, dual DVI, passive cooling.
DVI unusable in fedora with OSS driver (long lasting bug since F12 or
so), plain VGA works rather OK.

Peter