-   -   basic ubuntu question (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/615823-basic-ubuntu-question.html)

Rajeev Prasad 01-01-2012 04:25 PM

basic ubuntu question

hello,

just by looking at this how would you know whether it is a server or client version?? also how would you know which version of server is installed and running?

$ uname -a
Linux ubuntu 2.6.35-31-generic #63-Ubuntu SMP Mon Nov 28 19:29:10 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

thank you.
Rajeev

"Samsul Ma'arif" 01-01-2012 04:30 PM

basic ubuntu question

Pada Mon, 02 Jan 2012 00:25:00 +0700, Rajeev Prasad <rp.neuli@yahoo.com>
just by looking at this how would you know whether it is a server or
client version?? also how would you know which version of server is
installed and running?

$ uname -a
Linux ubuntu 2.6.35-31-generic #63-Ubuntu SMP Mon Nov 28 19:29:10 UTC
2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

thank you.
Rajeev

Hello,

Propably you can try

$ uname -a && cat /etc/lsb-release

in your terminal.

samsulmaarif_

blog : http://www.samsul.web.id http://blog.samsul.web.id

Smoot Carl-Mitchell 01-01-2012 07:41 PM

basic ubuntu question

On Mon, 2012-01-02 at 00:30 +0700, Samsul Ma'arif wrote:
> Pada Mon, 02 Jan 2012 00:25:00 +0700, Rajeev Prasad <rp.neuli@yahoo.com>
> menulis:
>
> > hello,
> >
> > just by looking at this how would you know whether it is a server or
> > client version?? also how would you know which version of server is
> > installed and running?
> >
> > $ uname -a
> > Linux ubuntu 2.6.35-31-generic #63-Ubuntu SMP Mon Nov 28 19:29:10 UTC
> > 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

uname -r

gives you the kernel release version.

On my notebook I run the server version and the results of the above
command are:

3.0.0-14-server

--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect

Rajeev Prasad 01-01-2012 08:12 PM

basic ubuntu question

thank you.

is it that, only difference between a server and client is that, server has no GUI ???
i also found on web:

$ lsb_release -d -s -c
Ubuntu 10.10
maverick

> just by looking at this how would you know whether it is a server or client version?? also how would you know which version of server is installed and running?
>
> $ uname -a
> Linux ubuntu 2.6.35-31-generic #63-Ubuntu SMP Mon Nov 28 19:29:10 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>

> thank you.
> Rajeev

Hello,

Propably you can try

$ uname -a && cat /etc/lsb-release

in your terminal.

--Regards,
samsulmaarif_

blog : http://www.samsul.web.id http://blog.samsul.web.id

--ubuntu-users mailing list

PM 01-02-2012 08:37 AM

basic ubuntu question

On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 10:55 PM, Rajeev Prasad <rp.neuli@yahoo.com> wrote:

> just by looking at this how would you know whether it is a server or client version?? also how would you know which version of server is installed and running?

One important thing you should know is that on any client distribution
also, if you install the packages, which server uses, you can very
well use the system as server and it also becomes server.

PM

Avi Greenbury 01-03-2012 07:09 PM

basic ubuntu question

Rajeev Prasad wrote:

> hello,
>
> just by looking at this how would you know whether it is a server or
> client version??

Well, that depends on your definition of 'sever' and 'client'. There is
a 'server' and a 'client' installer, but all they do is define the
default packages and some default configuration - every possible system
configuration is possible both from a server and a client install.

You can't tell from the uname command. There are differences in the
default kernel that the server and the client versions ship; the
easiest way there is probably to use dpkg:

dpkg -l | grep linux-image

Will list all the linux kernel images you have installed; if you've
ones whose names end in '-server' then you're running a server kernel.
But it's entirely possible to install this kernel onto a client.

What's the problem you're trying to solve here - for what do you need
to discern between servers and clients? Perhaps there's a more
appropriate way for the particular task you're working on.

> also how would you know which version of server is installed and running?

If you run

cat /etc/lsb-release

You'll get the version data (which is saved into the
file /etc/lsb-release) printed to screen.

--
Avi