Old 01-01-2012, 11:54 AM
Edward avanti

Default ubuntu script failure

Halo,Does anyone else find if they call the multi option from ubuntu sh script it fails?
For instance
mkdir -p /var/log/system_archives/{acpid,auth,btmp,daemon,dpkg,kernel,messages,pm,pp p,scrollkeeper,wpa,wtmp}/$YEAR
upon checking this made a directory called /var/log/system_archives//{acpid,auth,btmp,daemon,dpkg,kernel,messages,pm,pp p,scrollkeeper,wpa,wtmp}/2012
if I run this from my shell manually, it works

this same script I use on all my servers, centos, gentoo, slackware, on those it works as intended,. but on ubuntu *it goes stupid not honouring the {}

Old 01-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Nils Kassube

Edward avanti wrote:
> Halo,
> Does anyone else find if they call the multi option from ubuntu sh
> script it fails?
>
> For instance
>
> mkdir -p
> /var/log/system_archives/{acpid,auth,btmp,daemon,dpkg,kernel,messages
> ,pm,ppp,scrollkeeper,wpa,wtmp}/$YEAR upon checking this made a
> directory called
> /var/log/system_archives//{acpid,auth,btmp,daemon,dpkg,kernel,message
> s,pm,ppp,scrollkeeper,wpa,wtmp}/2012
>
> if I run this from my shell manually, it works
>
> this same script I use on all my servers, centos, gentoo, slackware,
> on those it works as intended,. but on ubuntu it goes stupid not
> honouring the {}

Probably you start your script with "#!/bin/sh" which is a link to dash
in Ubuntu and to bash on other systems. As dash doesn't know your wanted
feature, you should start your script with "#!/bin/bash" instead.

Nils

Old 01-02-2012, 02:51 AM
Zind

Probably you start your script with "#!/bin/sh" which is a link to dash

in Ubuntu and to bash on other systems. As dash doesn't know your wanted

feature, you should start your script with "#!/bin/bash" instead.
Anyway, it's so strange!And I have never realized that before.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:18 AM
Edward avanti

Old 01-02-2012, 08:23 AM
Edward avanti

> Does anyone else find if they call the multi option from ubuntu sh

> script it fails?

> For instance

> mkdir -p

> /var/log/system_archives/{acpid,auth,btmp,daemon,dpkg,kernel,messages

> ,pm,ppp,scrollkeeper,wpa,wtmp}/$YEAR upon checking this made a

> directory called

> /var/log/system_archives//{acpid,auth,btmp,daemon,dpkg,kernel,message

> s,pm,ppp,scrollkeeper,wpa,wtmp}/2012

> if I run this from my shell manually, it works

> this same script I use on all my servers, centos, gentoo, slackware,

> on those it works as intended,. but on ubuntu *it goes stupid not

> honouring the {}

Probably you start your script with "#!/bin/sh" which is a link to dash

in Ubuntu and to bash on other systems. As dash doesn't know your wanted

feature, you should start your script with "#!/bin/bash" instead.

Christ all fucking mighty!why cant these dickhead tossers leave things alone, they have to be fucking usellessly different
...Thanks for the infohad enough of the fuckbuntu quirks, they are worse than microsoft, this and the other screwups these lamers have done is enough, opensuse is going on that boxen shortly

*

Nils

Old 01-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Nils Kassube

Edward avanti wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 7:18 PM, Edward avanti
<edward.avanti@gmail.com>wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 12:44 AM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net>
wrote:

> >> Probably you start your script with "#!/bin/sh" which is a link to
> >> dash in Ubuntu and to bash on other systems. As dash doesn't know
> >> your wanted feature, you should start your script with
> >> "#!/bin/bash" instead.
>
> Christ all fucking mighty!
> why cant these dickhead tossers leave things alone, they have to be
> fucking usellessly different
> Thanks for the info
> had enough of the fuckbuntu quirks, they are worse than microsoft,
> this and the other screwups these lamers have done is enough,
> opensuse is going on that boxen shortly

Wrong approach IMHO. After all, with "#!/bin/sh" you tell the system
that the script is simple enough that any shell could run it and
therefore you don't care which one is used. But then you use features
which are not known to every shell. Therefore it would be wise to fix
the bug in your script anyway. Opensuse may work now but are you sure
they won't change the default shell in the future?

Nils

Old 01-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Avi Greenbury

Edward avanti wrote:
> Christ all fucking mighty!
> why cant these dickhead tossers leave things alone, they have to be
> fucking usellessly different

Please, keep the language a little less angry.

But if you've put '#!/bin/sh' at the top of your script, why would the
computer expect you to want bashisms to work? You've explicitly stated
that what you want is good old bourne.

--
Avi

Old 01-03-2012, 07:26 PM

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 04:23, Edward avanti <edward.avanti@gmail.com> wrote:
> Christ all fucking mighty!
> why cant these dickhead tossers leave things alone, they have to be fucking
> usellessly different
> Thanks for the info
> had enough of the fuckbuntu quirks, they are worse than microsoft, this and
> the other screwups these lamers have done is enough, opensuse is going on
> that boxen shortly

Ummm... the switch to Dash was done, IIRC, in 2006 in Ubuntu 6.10...
so over 5 years ago now... not like it just happened.

Granted, I also ran into issues when I wrote a BASH script and
expected it would work with sh (a bad programming assumption on my
part), but I didn't then set about cursing people today for a decision
that was made 5 years ago. I just fixed the bug in my script and got
on with life...

Old 01-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Edward avanti

On 1/4/12, J <dreadpiratejeff@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 04:23, Edward avanti <edward.avanti@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Christ all fucking mighty!
>> why cant these dickhead tossers leave things alone, they have to be
>> fucking
>> usellessly different
>> Thanks for the info
>> had enough of the fuckbuntu quirks, they are worse than microsoft, this
>> and
>> the other screwups these lamers have done is enough, opensuse is going on
>> that boxen shortly
>
> Ummm... the switch to Dash was done, IIRC, in 2006 in Ubuntu 6.10...
> so over 5 years ago now... not like it just happened.
>
> Granted, I also ran into issues when I wrote a BASH script and
> expected it would work with sh (a bad programming assumption on my
> part), but I didn't then set about cursing people today for a decision
> that was made 5 years ago. I just fixed the bug in my script and got
> on with life...

It's not just that, it's sluggish performance, wireless that did not
work OOTB, grpahics settings were horrid, and must have thought I was
80% legally blind from font size, try to remove one old program so I
can install source and use current with all its nice advantages and
ubuntu wanted to remove half the system! apt is very brain dead. and
dump bind and use a cuyrrent version is pure nightmare, since they
have broken it into a million pieces, and trying to remove some of
those pieces the systme also wanted to remove the other half of my
system., there are also about a dozen more quirks with it but I'll
be labelled a troll or whiner if I go on so I wont, afterall the list
is supposed to be only positive light, how dare anyone discuss
negatives,

Installed opensuse two days ago now, and WOW the difference.
wireless deteced and configured OOTB,
perfect graphics resulution and very sane fonts.
and although it too had a older (but not as ancient as fuckbuntu
version) of program X, allowed me to remove it with no dramas, RPM is
far far FAR superior in this respect. Oh and bind was also removed
without me going grey too.

Moving to opensuse, was the best thing I ever did, in fact it
impressed a long time debian friend of mine who yesterday wipped
squeeze for it.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:47 PM
Liam Proven

On 3 January 2012 23:21, Edward avanti <edward.avanti@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's not just that, it's sluggish performance, wireless *that did not
> work OOTB, grpahics settings were horrid, and must have thought I was
> 80% legally blind from font size, try to remove one old program so I
> can install source and use current with all its nice advantages and
> ubuntu wanted to remove half the system! apt is very brain dead. and
> dump bind and use a cuyrrent version is pure nightmare, since they
> have broken it into a million pieces, and trying to remove some of
> those pieces the systme also wanted to remove the other half of my
> system., there are also *about a dozen more quirks with it but I'll
> be labelled a troll or whiner if I go on so I wont, afterall the list
> is supposed to be only positive light, how dare anyone discuss
> negatives,
>
> Installed opensuse two days ago now, and WOW the difference.
> wireless deteced and configured OOTB,
> perfect graphics resulution and very sane fonts.
> and although it too had a older (but not as ancient as fuckbuntu
> version) of program X, allowed me to remove it with no dramas, RPM is
> far far FAR superior in this respect. Oh and bind was also removed
> without me going grey too.
>
> Moving to opensuse, was the best thing I ever did, in fact it
> impressed a long time debian friend of mine who yesterday wipped
> squeeze for it.

If you don't like Ubuntu and find another distro preferable, that is
fine. Good for you. But that does not mean there is anything wrong
with Ubuntu; it means your tastes are different.

I moved from SUSE to Ubuntu in 2004 and I very much prefer Ubuntu,
which I find smaller, faster, cleaner, simpler and less work. I last
tried OpenSUSE 11.3 or so, last year, and it was as bloated and
sluggish as it has ever been. KDE 4 is an ugly mess, too.

Granted, I miss YAST for a few things - for instance, it is better at
setting up X.11 than Ubuntu is or has ever been.

RPM I do not miss. I find it primitive, clunky and a pain.

But if you want to rip out subsystems of your OS and replace them -
something that in 24 years of installing, maintaining and running Unix
systems across Europe, from my own systems to multinational
corporations, I have never wanted or needed to do, and which sounds
insane to me - then APT's automatic dependency resolution *is* going
to get in your way, yes. RPM, which does no dependency resolution at
all, will not get in your way.

Mind you, if you were working for me as a sysadmin and told me that
this was what you wanted to do, I'd probably fire you on the spot.

You like what you like. We Ubuntu users like something different. That is fine.

But don't come here, complain at us about it, swear at us and use foul
language on a public list. Just be quiet, go away, use SUSE and enjoy
it.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884