-   -   root user (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/615739-root-user.html)

Leila M 01-01-2012 09:55 AM

root user

hi,

I'm using Ubuntu 11.04 and I want to access the root account but I
cant do so using my password. I didn't specify any password during the
system installation process except the one I use to access my account.
any ideas about how to do so

thanks in advance
Leila

Johnny Rosenberg 01-01-2012 10:05 AM

root user

2012/1/1 Leila M <mech.loulou@gmail.com>:
> hi,
>
> I'm using Ubuntu 11.04 and I want to access the root account but I
> cant do so using my password. I didn't specify any password during the
> system installation process except the one I use to access my account.
> any ideas about how to do so

There is no root account by default, I think it's a safety thing, kind
of. Instead you are supposed to use sudo with your user password for
each action (you don't have to enter your password every time though).
There are tons of information about this out there, here's the first
that I found a minute ago:

http://www.debuntu.org/2006/04/24/34-ubuntu-default-root-password-or-the-sudo-way

It's old, but not much happened since then in this case.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

> thanks in advance
> Leila

You're welcome. Happy new year, by the way!

Johnny Rosenberg 01-01-2012 10:12 AM

root user

2012/1/1 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com>:
> 2012/1/1 Leila M <mech.loulou@gmail.com>:
>> hi,
>>
>> I'm using Ubuntu 11.04 and I want to access the root account but I
>> cant do so using my password. I didn't specify any password during the
>> system installation process except the one I use to access my account.
>> any ideas about how to do so
>
> There is no root account by default,

Correction: There is one, but it doesn't have a password, so you can't
log in the usual way.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Jeffrey Gray 01-01-2012 10:54 AM

root user

Well, I don't see many talk about enabling the root account on
here...Maybe because it's not supposed to be accessed for security
reasons???

Anyway, from your terminal just run 'sudo passwd root'. Enter your
password. Enter what you want the root password to be. Hit enter and
repeat root password. Done. You can not su - to root to save typing
sudo before every command that you wish to run privileged.

Earthson 01-01-2012 10:54 AM

root user

root is disabled, and it does not have a passwd. if you really want to use "root", just set a passwd for it.

command:
passwd

(type new root passwd)(type again)

On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 7:12 PM, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:

2012/1/1 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com>:

> 2012/1/1 Leila M <mech.loulou@gmail.com>:

>> hi,

>> I'm using Ubuntu 11.04 and I want to access the root account but I

>> cant do so using my password. I didn't specify any password during the

>> system installation process except the one I use to access my account.

>> any ideas about how to do so

> There is no root account by default,

Correction: There is one, but it doesn't have a password, so you can't

log in the usual way.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

> I think it's a safety thing, kind

> of. Instead you are supposed to use sudo with your user password for

> each action (you don't have to enter your password every time though).

> There are tons of information about this out there, here's the first

> that I found a minute ago:

> http://www.debuntu.org/2006/04/24/34-ubuntu-default-root-password-or-the-sudo-way

> It's old, but not much happened since then in this case.

> Kind regards

> Johnny Rosenberg

> ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

>> thanks in advance

>> Leila

> You're welcome. Happy new year, by the way!

>> --

** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *这个世界不会*为没有*而失去什么

但是,却有可能*为*的*在而发生 些改变。。

Gilles Gravier 01-01-2012 12:17 PM

root user

Title: Signature Home Chastity

Hi, Leila!

You should be able to just "sudo bash" and use your account
password.

Gilles.

I'm using Ubuntu 11.04 and I want to access the root account but I
cant do so using my password. I didn't specify any password during the
system installation process except the one I use to access my account.
any ideas about how to do so

thanks in advance
Leila

--

Gilles

Gravier = Gilles@Gravier.org

ICQ : 77488526* || MSN Messenger : Gilles@Gravier.org

Skype :*ggravier || Y!

: ggravier || AOL : gillesgravier

Aka-Aki :
ggravier || PGP Key ID : 0x8DE6D026

"Living on Earth
is expensive, but it does include a free trip
around the sun."

AV3 01-01-2012 03:05 PM

root user