Old 12-29-2011, 11:16 PM
scar

Default Unexpected Firefox Software Installation for Language Packs

I have been getting a strange pop-up lately when i start Firefox, asking
me if i want to install some foreign language packs. I'm in the USA,
and Firefox is wanting to install language packs for en-GB and en-ZA.
Initially it was only asking for en-GB and I didn't think anything of it
because Firefox was recently updated. So, even though I clicked
'install' it still asked to be installed whenever i restarted Firefox.
en-GB shows up in my Add-ons/Languages, and if i click on 'Disable' and
restart Firefox, it just keeps saying en-GB "will be uninstalled when
Firefox is restarted" no matter how many times i restart.

Now it is also wanting to install en-ZA. I never explicitly told the
system i needed these languages, but somehow the extensions ended up in
/usr/lib/firefox-3.6.24/extensions.

How did they get there?
Can i just delete the xpi files from that directory?
Is something malicious going on? Why is it still asking to install en-GB
even though i already clicked 'install' and now it's asking for en-ZA?
And why won't en-GB uninstall from within Firefox

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS with Firefox 3.6.24
here's a screen shot of the pop-up: http://i.imgur.com/a4lSg.png
and here's the xpi files if someone wants to inspect them:
http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/DGZPzIU4zb%2FLXdEWGxwUTQ

thanks

Old 01-21-2012, 07:36 AM
scar

After not getting anywhere i just deleted the extensions in
/usr/lib/firefox-3.6.24/extensions but now today i am getting the same
popup about installing the language pack extensions. Firefox is still
3.6.24 so this seems very fishy to me... why have the language pack
add-ons reappeared in /usr/lib/firefox-3.6.24/extensions?

scar @ 12/29/2011 05:16 PM:

Old 01-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Ric Moore

After not getting anywhere i just deleted the extensions in
/usr/lib/firefox-3.6.24/extensions but now today i am getting the same
popup about installing the language pack extensions. Firefox is still
3.6.24 so this seems very fishy to me... why have the language pack
add-ons reappeared in /usr/lib/firefox-3.6.24/extensions?

Please don't top post. Thanx, Ric

Old 01-23-2012, 03:27 AM
scar

Ric Moore @ 01/21/2012 02:44 PM:
> On 01/21/2012 03:36 AM, scar wrote:
>> After not getting anywhere i just deleted the extensions in
>> /usr/lib/firefox-3.6.24/extensions but now today i am getting the same
>> popup about installing the language pack extensions. Firefox is still
>> 3.6.24 so this seems very fishy to me... why have the language pack
>> add-ons reappeared in /usr/lib/firefox-3.6.24/extensions?
>
> Please don't top post. Thanx, Ric

I'm sorry Mr Moore. Please forgive me. Having been around for some
decades, i'm well aware of newsgroup etiquette. Must have slipped my mind.

Perhaps you could have also provided something useful with your post
instead of wasting everyone's time?

Old 01-23-2012, 03:38 AM
Basil Chupin

After not getting anywhere i just deleted the extensions in
/usr/lib/firefox-3.6.24/extensions but now today i am getting the same
popup about installing the language pack extensions. Firefox is still
3.6.24 so this seems very fishy to me... why have the language pack
add-ons reappeared in /usr/lib/firefox-3.6.24/extensions?

Please don't top post. Thanx, Ric

I'm sorry Mr Moore. Please forgive me. Having been around for some
decades, i'm well aware of newsgroup etiquette. Must have slipped my mind.

Perhaps you could have also provided something useful with your post
instead of wasting everyone's time?

In much the same manner as you, the kettle, are now calling the pot black.

If you don't see the irony in your post then there is little hope for
you for the future.

BC

--
No one new to power has ever disarmed his subjects; on the contrary, finding them disarmed new rulers have always armed them.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Old 01-23-2012, 07:22 AM
Ric Moore

After not getting anywhere i just deleted the extensions in
/usr/lib/firefox-3.6.24/extensions but now today i am getting the same
popup about installing the language pack extensions. Firefox is still
3.6.24 so this seems very fishy to me... why have the language pack
add-ons reappeared in /usr/lib/firefox-3.6.24/extensions?

Please don't top post. Thanx, Ric

I'm sorry Mr Moore. Please forgive me. Having been around for some
decades, i'm well aware of newsgroup etiquette. Must have slipped my mind.

Perhaps you could have also provided something useful with your post
instead of wasting everyone's time?

Because I don't try to "provide something useful" to a top posted query.
That would encourage the behavior. But you already knew that, being well
aware of group netiquette, having been around for decades. So, why the
snide remark? I did say Please and thanx. Ric