Old 12-27-2011, 01:19 AM
Wade Smart

Default RhythmBox No longer downloading cd information

Ive not listened to any cd's in a while butwhen I put one in I notice
its no longergoing to online to download the cdinformation and, I cant
seem to find thatoption in the preferences.
Is something up that Ive missed withthe music app?
Wade
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606
Linux since June 2005

Old 12-28-2011, 05:01 PM
sktsee

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 20:19:37 -0600, Wade Smart wrote:

> Ive not listened to any cd's in a while butwhen I put one in I notice
> its no longergoing to online to download the cdinformation and, I cant
> seem to find thatoption in the preferences. Is something up that Ive
> missed withthe music app? Wade
> --

nope, for some reason the Ubuntu maintainers have decided to package
rhythmbox without the dependency on the correct libmusicbrainz library
needed to query musicbrainz.org for CD and track information. If you want
rhythmbox (or any app using "bad" gstreamer plugins) to get the CD info,
you'll either have to compile the source and configure it to use
libmusicbrainz3 (the version rhythmbox supports that works correctly) or
find a ppa or some other 3rd party repo that has the necessary support
added.

--
sktsee

Old 12-28-2011, 05:07 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/12/28 sktsee <sktseer@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 20:19:37 -0600, Wade Smart wrote:
>
>> Ive not listened to any cd's in a while butwhen I put one in I notice
>> its no longergoing to online to download the cdinformation and, I cant
>> seem to find thatoption in the preferences. Is something up that Ive
>> missed withthe music app? Wade
>> --
>
> nope, for some reason the Ubuntu maintainers have decided to package
> rhythmbox without the dependency on the correct libmusicbrainz library
> needed to query musicbrainz.org for CD and track information. If you want
> rhythmbox (or any app using "bad" gstreamer plugins) to get the CD info,
> you'll either have to compile the source and configure it to use
> libmusicbrainz3 (the version rhythmbox supports that works correctly) or
> find a ppa or some other 3rd party repo that has the necessary support
> added.
>
> --
> sktsee

But it does read CD-text (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-TEXT), doesn't it?

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 12-28-2011, 05:13 PM
Wade Smart

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 12:01, sktsee <sktseer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 20:19:37 -0600, Wade Smart wrote:
>
>> Ive not listened to any cd's in a while butwhen I put one in I notice
>> its no longergoing to online to download the cdinformation and, I cant
>> seem to find thatoption in the preferences. Is something up that Ive
>> missed withthe music app? Wade
>> --
>
> nope, for some reason the Ubuntu maintainers have decided to package
> rhythmbox without the dependency on the correct libmusicbrainz library
> needed to query musicbrainz.org for CD and track information. If you want
> rhythmbox (or any app using "bad" gstreamer plugins) to get the CD info,
> you'll either have to compile the source and configure it to use
> libmusicbrainz3 (the version rhythmbox supports that works correctly) or
> find a ppa or some other 3rd party repo that has the necessary support
> added.
>
> --
> sktsee

Crap. That sucks.
Suggestion on a good audio program that does this AND is comparable
to Rhythmbox?

Old 12-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Wade Smart

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 12:07, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/12/28 sktsee <sktseer@gmail.com>:
>> On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 20:19:37 -0600, Wade Smart wrote:
>>
>>> Ive not listened to any cd's in a while butwhen I put one in I notice
>>> its no longergoing to online to download the cdinformation and, I cant
>>> seem to find thatoption in the preferences. Is something up that Ive
>>> missed withthe music app? Wade
>>> --
>>
>> nope, for some reason the Ubuntu maintainers have decided to package
>> rhythmbox without the dependency on the correct libmusicbrainz library
>> needed to query musicbrainz.org for CD and track information. If you want
>> rhythmbox (or any app using "bad" gstreamer plugins) to get the CD info,
>> you'll either have to compile the source and configure it to use
>> libmusicbrainz3 (the version rhythmbox supports that works correctly) or
>> find a ppa or some other 3rd party repo that has the necessary support
>> added.
>>
>> --
>> sktsee
>
> But it does read CD-text (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-TEXT), doesn't it?
>

> Kind regards
>
> Johnny Rosenberg
> ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

It does but I guess a lot of cd's dont/didnt have that information.
Three of my son's new cd's for Christmas came up with nothing
for track or album and some of my Journey cd's are the same.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:52 PM
sktsee

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 12:13:42 -0600, Wade Smart wrote:

> Crap. That sucks.
> Suggestion on a good audio program that does this AND is comparable to
> Rhythmbox?

I'm gonna punt on that question since "good" is entirely subjective. For
example, Banshee comparable to Rhythmbox, but whether it's good is a
matter of opinion. This isn't really a big issue with me since I use a
separate ripper program that saves the correct tags and then use rhythmbox
to play those tracks.

--
sktsee

Old 12-28-2011, 07:52 PM
sktsee

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 19:07:08 +0100, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

> [snip]
>
> But it does read CD-text (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-TEXT), doesn't
> it?

Supposedly, but like Wade, I've got a number of cd's where rhythmbox
doesn't read that info from the disk. In fact, I can't remember the last
time rhythmbox ever read in metadata from cd-text.

--
sktsee

Old 12-28-2011, 11:27 PM
Wade Smart

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 14:52, sktsee <sktseer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 19:07:08 +0100, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>
>> [snip]
>>
>> But it does read CD-text (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-TEXT), doesn't
>> it?
>>

> Supposedly, but like Wade, I've got a number of cd's where rhythmbox
> doesn't read that info from the disk. In fact, I can't remember the last
> time rhythmbox ever read in metadata from cd-text.
>
> --
> sktsee

My nephew came over today. He got his first mp3 player.
He has 10 cd's I was going to rip and then put on it.
I hate to admit this but, I ended up doing 9 on my
XP laptop using Media Player in less time than it took
to do 8 of 14 tracks with Rhythmbox. That is so very sad
in my eyes. I have a good computer and yet from the looks
of it, you would think I had crap.

I might try banshee to test it out.

What do you use to rip cd's?

Old 12-29-2011, 12:09 AM
sktsee

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 18:27:42 -0600, Wade Smart wrote:

[snip]

> My nephew came over today. He got his first mp3 player. He has 10 cd's I
> was going to rip and then put on it. I hate to admit this but, I ended
> up doing 9 on my XP laptop using Media Player in less time than it took
> to do 8 of 14 tracks with Rhythmbox. That is so very sad in my eyes. I
> have a good computer and yet from the looks of it, you would think I had
> crap.
>
> I might try banshee to test it out.
>
> What do you use to rip cd's?
>
> wade
> --

sound-juicer, or Audio CD Extractor as its known in the Software Center.
It's simple, but my multimedia needs are quite modest.

It really will be sad if they can't get this issue fixed for the 12.04
release, since Rhythmbox is supposed to regain the status as default
media player.

--
sktsee

Old 12-29-2011, 09:34 AM
Steve Flynn

On 29 December 2011 01:09, sktsee <sktseer@gmail.com> wrote:

> sound-juicer, or Audio CD Extractor as its known in the Software Center.
> It's simple, but my multimedia needs are quite modest.
>
> It really will be sad if they can't get this issue fixed for the 12.04
> release, since Rhythmbox is supposed to regain the status as default
> media player.

Any idea what Songbird like these days? I tried it on one of my
Windows machines a couple of years back but it had a deal-breaker for
me in that there was no way to delete tracks in your library from the
library list (my primary aim was to go through my mp3 collection and
get rid of the dross that had accumulated in there over the years so
listening and deleting easily was important for me).

--
Steve