Old 12-26-2011, 11:01 AM
CJ Tres

Default ..and now for something completely different (was: Newbie query: Ubuntu vs openSUSE)

On 12/25/2011 11:31 PM, Jared Norris wrote:

Wow, this thread has received a fair bit of attention. It would appear
there are multiple off topic threads within this one thread. Can we
all please end this one as it would appear the person asking the
original question has made a decision.

I would also like to take this opportunity to gently remind everyone
of the ubuntu-users FAQ - available at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuUsersListFAQ - so that we can all remain
on topic and following the list guidelines.

Agreed.... and failing that (I remember at leasts three requests to just
let it die), can anyone who absolutely *must* reply at least change the
subject line, if necessary, to reflect what's being discussed... please?

I can clearly still remember what it was like first dipping my toes into
the Gnu/Linux pool - maybe 10 years ago - and all I can think about this
thread is that finding this mess in the archive might be rather
bewildering/frustrating to someone new to Linux who is interested in a
particular topic - even this one (though I'm not quite sure why), having
to wade through all the off-topic posts. Useful though they may be, if
someone needed *that* information, they would likely never find it in
this thread.

At least I don't remember seeing any top posting (another of my pet
peeves) in the thread... kudos for that!