Old 12-25-2011, 08:16 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

Default Keeping focused to the same window no matter what happens

Is this possible? How?

Maybe I should try to explain what I'm actually asking for:

In all operating systems I've tried so far in my life (Windows 98-XP,
Ubuntu 7.04-11.10, Mandriva 2008.0-2009.0, Mint etc), there is one
thing that annoys me a lot. Let's say that I just started up the
operating system. Then I click a few icons to start a few applications
that I usually need for the things I use to do. It's generally a web
browser (Opera in my case), a spreadsheet application (LibreOffice
Calc for instance) and maybe something more. Of course one of the
applications, let's say Opera, are finished starting up before the
others and I start to work with it. A few seconds later another
application, let's say LibreOffice Calc, is ready to go. What happens
then is that what I was typing in Opera is typed into LibreOffice Calc
instead.

Is there some way to prevent this from happening? I am supposed to be
the one who decides which window should be in focus on my system, not
the operating system or any of the applications. Is there a setting
somewhere that I missed?

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 12-25-2011, 08:55 PM
Conny Enström

[...]

kanske detta/ Maybe this:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/20989/how-do-i-tell-a-start-up-program-to-start-minimized

Old 12-26-2011, 08:40 AM
Johnny Rosenberg

Den 25 december 2011 22:55 skrev Conny Enström <uncurbed@swipnet.se>:
> 2011-12-25 22:16, Johnny Rosenberg skrev:
>
>> Is this possible? How?
>>
>> Maybe I should try to explain what I'm actually asking for:
>>
>> In all operating systems I've tried so far in my life (Windows 98-XP,
>> Ubuntu 7.04-11.10, Mandriva 2008.0-2009.0, Mint etc), there is one
>> thing that annoys me a lot. Let's say that I just started up the
>> operating system. Then I click a few icons to start a few applications
>> that I usually need for the things I use to do. It's generally a web
>> browser (Opera in my case), a spreadsheet application (LibreOffice
>> Calc for instance) and maybe something more. Of course one of the
>> applications, let's say Opera, are finished starting up before the
>> others and I start to work with it. A few seconds later another
>> application, let's say LibreOffice Calc, is ready to go. What happens
>> then is that what I was typing in Opera is typed into LibreOffice Calc
>> instead.
>>
>> Is there some way to prevent this from happening? I am supposed to be
>> the one who decides which window should be in focus on my system, not
>> the operating system or any of the applications. Is there a setting
>> somewhere that I missed?
>>

>> Kind regards
>>
>> Johnny Rosenberg
>> ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ
>>

> kanske detta/ Maybe this:
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/20989/how-do-i-tell-a-start-up-program-to-start-minimized

Maybe as a solution if nothing else works (nödlösning…), but I don't
want it minimized, I just want it keeping behind the current window
until I decide to use it.
A really nice thing would be if I could start different applications
on different virtual desktops, still keeping the focus at what I am
currently doing.

Actually I'm quite surprised that this isn't the standard behaviour as
default (keeping focus on what the user is currently doing), because
does really anyone want to be interrupted by a newly opened
application?

Vänliga hälsningar

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 12-26-2011, 08:50 AM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/12/26 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com>:
> Den 25 december 2011 22:55 skrev Conny Enström <uncurbed@swipnet.se>:
>> 2011-12-25 22:16, Johnny Rosenberg skrev:
>>
>>> Is this possible? How?
>>>
>>> Maybe I should try to explain what I'm actually asking for:
>>>
>>> In all operating systems I've tried so far in my life (Windows 98-XP,
>>> Ubuntu 7.04-11.10, Mandriva 2008.0-2009.0, Mint etc), there is one
>>> thing that annoys me a lot. Let's say that I just started up the
>>> operating system. Then I click a few icons to start a few applications
>>> that I usually need for the things I use to do. It's generally a web
>>> browser (Opera in my case), a spreadsheet application (LibreOffice
>>> Calc for instance) and maybe something more. Of course one of the
>>> applications, let's say Opera, are finished starting up before the
>>> others and I start to work with it. A few seconds later another
>>> application, let's say LibreOffice Calc, is ready to go. What happens
>>> then is that what I was typing in Opera is typed into LibreOffice Calc
>>> instead.
>>>
>>> Is there some way to prevent this from happening? I am supposed to be
>>> the one who decides which window should be in focus on my system, not
>>> the operating system or any of the applications. Is there a setting
>>> somewhere that I missed?
>>>

>>> Kind regards
>>>
>>> Johnny Rosenberg
>>> ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ
>>>

>> kanske detta/ Maybe this:
>> http://askubuntu.com/questions/20989/how-do-i-tell-a-start-up-program-to-start-minimized
>
> Maybe as a solution if nothing else works (nödlösning…), but I don't
> want it minimized, I just want it keeping behind the current window
> until I decide to use it.

Oops… I just realised that this IS possible with your suggestion, at
least in theory. I'll try it out before I say anything more…

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 12-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Basil Chupin

[...]

I can only guess that you are using either Unity or Gnome 3 or
poor-man's Gnome because I am using KDE and at them moment I have 6
desktops/workspaces and each one contains a running application - eg,
Thunderbird, Firefox, a Game, LibreOffice, mc (Midnight Commander), and
vlc (was watching Futurama a few minutes ago on TV). All running and
none interfere with the other. I simply switch between them as I want.

Isn't this what you are wanting to do? If so then switch to KDE - simple.

BC

--
There are actually three kinds of mind: one kind grasps things unaided, the second sees what another has grasped, the third grasps nothing and sees nothing.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Old 12-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/12/26 Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au>:
> On 26/12/11 20:40, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

>>> kanske detta/ Maybe this:
>>>
>>> http://askubuntu.com/questions/20989/how-do-i-tell-a-start-up-program-to-start-minimized
>>
>> Maybe as a solution if nothing else works (nödlösning…), but I don't
>> want it minimized, I just want it keeping behind the current window
>> until I decide to use it.
>> A really nice thing would be if I could start different applications
>> on different virtual desktops, still keeping the focus at what I am
>> currently doing.
>>
>> Actually I'm quite surprised that this isn't the standard behaviour as
>> default (keeping focus on what the user is currently doing), because
>> does really anyone want to be interrupted by a newly opened
>> application?
>>

>> Vänliga hälsningar
>>
>> Johnny Rosenberg
>> ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ
>

> I can *only guess that you are using either Unity or Gnome 3 or poor-man's
> Gnome

Ubuntu 10.10 at the moment, so yes, it's Gnome 2.

> because I am using KDE and at them moment I have 6 desktops/workspaces
> and each one contains a running application - eg, Thunderbird, Firefox, a
> Game, LibreOffice, mc (Midnight Commander), and vlc (was watching Futurama a
> few minutes ago on TV).

Well, I have 16 workspaces (setup via Compiz-Fusion) and the most
common is that I use 3 or 4 of those, maybe 1-3 different applications
on each one, so it's not exactly the same as yours but fairly similar.

> All running and none interfere with the other. I
> simply switch between them as I want.

I do that too. No problems at all.

> Isn't this what you are wanting to do? If so then switch to KDE - simple.

Yes, I do that all the time without any kinds of problems, EXCEPT the
one that I described (or failed to describe?) earlier.

Maybe you understand my problem very accurately, but to be sure, try
the example below in your situation and tell me what happens:

1. Run everything that you usually run, just like always, except LibreOffice.
2. If you have an icon on your desktop for a LibreOffice document,
spreadsheet or whatever, preferably a huge one, click (or double
click, depending on your settings) it to open it with LibreOffice.
3. Since it takes a while to open LibreOffice from scratch, especially
with a huge document, go back to one of your other windows and
continue working there.
4. When LibreOffice is finally running and the document is loaded,
does it not take focus from what you were doing?

In my case it even opens on my current workspace even if I was on
another workspace when clicking the icon.

> BC
>
> --
> There are actually three kinds of mind: one kind grasps things unaided, the
> second sees what another has grasped, the third grasps nothing and sees
> nothing.
> * * * * * * Niccolo Machiavelli

There are also three kinds of people: Those who can count and those who can't.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 12-26-2011, 09:57 AM
Basil Chupin

[...]

Do you have a similar menu for each application in Gnome 2 which you are
using?:

http://picpaste.com/snapshot1-8129WbEn.png

In KDE you can control how an application behaves, and the above menu is
to found in the topmost lefthand corner of the application's "taskbar".

BC

Old 12-26-2011, 11:01 AM
Koh Choon Lin

Hi

> In all operating systems I've tried so far in my life (Windows 98-XP,
> Ubuntu 7.04-11.10, Mandriva 2008.0-2009.0, Mint etc), there is one
> thing that annoys me a lot. Let's say that I just started up the
> operating system. Then I click a few icons to start a few applications
> that I usually need for the things I use to do. It's generally a web
> browser (Opera in my case), a spreadsheet application (LibreOffice
> Calc for instance) and maybe something more. Of course one of the
> applications, let's say Opera, are finished starting up before the
> others and I start to work with it. A few seconds later another
> application, let's say LibreOffice Calc, is ready to go. What happens
> then is that what I was typing in Opera is typed into LibreOffice Calc
> instead.

One way is to keep the software "on top" and the other way is to make
the window focus on where the mouse cursor is.

These two functions are not available in Microsoft Windows.

--
Regards
Koh Choon Lin

Old 12-26-2011, 11:12 AM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/12/26 Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au>:
> On 26/12/11 21:29, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

>>> I can *only guess that you are using either Unity or Gnome 3 or
>>> poor-man's
>>> Gnome
>>
>> Ubuntu 10.10 at the moment, so yes, it's Gnome 2.
>>
>>> because I am using KDE and at them moment I have 6 desktops/workspaces
>>> and each one contains a running application - eg, Thunderbird, Firefox, a
>>> Game, LibreOffice, mc (Midnight Commander), and vlc (was watching
>>> Futurama a
>>> few minutes ago on TV).
>>
>> Well, I have 16 workspaces (setup via Compiz-Fusion) and the most
>> common is that I use 3 or 4 of those, maybe 1-3 different applications
>> on each one, so it's not exactly the same as yours but fairly similar.
>>
>>> All running and none interfere with the other. I
>>> simply switch between them as I want.
>>
>> I do that too. No problems at all.
>>
>>> Isn't this what you are wanting to do? If so then switch to KDE - simple.
>>
>> Yes, I do that all the time without any kinds of problems, EXCEPT the
>> one that I described (or failed to describe?) earlier.
>>
>> Maybe you understand my problem very accurately, but to be sure, try
>> the example below in your situation and tell me what happens:
>>
>> 1. Run everything that you usually run, just like always, except
>> LibreOffice.
>> 2. If you have an icon on your desktop for a LibreOffice document,
>> spreadsheet or whatever, preferably a huge one, click (or double
>> click, depending on your settings) it to open it with LibreOffice.
>> 3. Since it takes a while to open LibreOffice from scratch, especially
>> with a huge document, go back to one of your other windows and
>> continue working there.
>> 4. When LibreOffice is finally running and the document is loaded,
>> does it not take focus from what you were doing?
>>
>> In my case it even opens on my current workspace even if I was on
>> another workspace when clicking the icon.
>

> Do you have a similar menu for each application in Gnome 2 which you are
> using?:
>
> http://picpaste.com/snapshot1-8129WbEn.png
>
> In KDE you can control how an application behaves, and the above menu is to
> found in the topmost lefthand corner of the application's "taskbar".
>

> BC

Thanks for the tip. That made me think again. Finally I seem to have found it:
System → Preferences → Compiz Config System Manager → General → Focus
& Raise Behaviour → Focus Prevention Level: Very High (or High or at
least not Low) or edit the Focus Prevention Windows field.

Seems to work, otherwise I guess it needs some fine tuning.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 12-26-2011, 11:16 AM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/12/26 Koh Choon Lin <2choonlin@gmail.com>:
> Hi
>
>> In all operating systems I've tried so far in my life (Windows 98-XP,
>> Ubuntu 7.04-11.10, Mandriva 2008.0-2009.0, Mint etc), there is one
>> thing that annoys me a lot. Let's say that I just started up the
>> operating system. Then I click a few icons to start a few applications
>> that I usually need for the things I use to do. It's generally a web
>> browser (Opera in my case), a spreadsheet application (LibreOffice
>> Calc for instance) and maybe something more. Of course one of the
>> applications, let's say Opera, are finished starting up before the
>> others and I start to work with it. A few seconds later another
>> application, let's say LibreOffice Calc, is ready to go. What happens
>> then is that what I was typing in Opera is typed into LibreOffice Calc
>> instead.
>
> One way is to keep the software "on top"

Unless that I don't want it on top when I click on another window…

> and the other way is to make
> the window focus on where the mouse cursor is.

I remember I tried that once, a couple of years ago, but I didn't like
it. The mouse pointer was some times accidently moved and that could
be frustrating too.
Thanks anyway for the suggestions.

> These two functions are not available in Microsoft Windows.

Well, I don't have anything from Microsoft anyway, so I don't care
about that detail… (well, I think there is a Microsoft mouse lying
around somewhere collecting dust, but that doesn't count, does it…?)

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ