Old 12-24-2011, 07:52 PM
"Barry"

Default init.d scripts disappeared in 10.04

I have a laptop that I don't use very often, and when I do, I don't do
much with it.

At some point, the machine wouldn't shut down gracefully. I had to hold
down the power button to get it stopped. I didn't pay too much attention
in the beginning, but finally looked at the console before hitting the
power button and the avahi daemon was complaining that /etc/init.d/rc
didn't exist. I meant to look into it but never did.

Then in October, I did the rather large update that came along, and it
failed to update a few packages, including cups, grub and dbus. I
couldn't boot into the new kernel -- 2.6.32-34, but I could drop back to
2.6.32-33, and again I put off looking into the problem. The error then
mentioned a conflict between the nvidia driver, but it seemed worse than
that because the grub menu was incomplete for the 2.6.32-34 kernel.

After firing it up again today, there were more upgrades, and the acpid,
apport, clamav and unattended-upgrades also failed. The apt errors were
different now: they all said that /etc/init.d couldn't be overwritten. I
finally looked and the entire init.d directory is indeed gone, replaced
by a small xml file that seems to be able fonts.

What might have happened and how do I fix it -- short of re-installing?

Thanks for any help.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:04 PM
Nils Kassube

Barry wrote:
> At some point, the machine wouldn't shut down gracefully. I had to
> hold down the power button to get it stopped. I didn't pay too much
> attention in the beginning, but finally looked at the console before
> hitting the power button and the avahi daemon was complaining that
> /etc/init.d/rc didn't exist. I meant to look into it but never did.

> What might have happened and how do I fix it -- short of
> re-installing?

I have no idea what happened, but you might get the file /etc/init.d/rc
back if you reinstall the package "sysv-rc". Are there more files
missing in "/etc/init.d/"?

Nils

Old 12-25-2011, 06:25 PM
Ric Moore

At some point, the machine wouldn't shut down gracefully. I had to
hold down the power button to get it stopped. I didn't pay too much
attention in the beginning, but finally looked at the console before
hitting the power button and the avahi daemon was complaining that
/etc/init.d/rc didn't exist. I meant to look into it but never did.

What might have happened and how do I fix it -- short of
re-installing?

Sometimes re-installing ain't a bad thing. Heh, using the right CD fixed
mine. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 12-25-2011, 09:00 PM
"Barry"

On Sun, Dec 25, 2011, at 02:25 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 12/25/2011 08:04 AM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Barry wrote:
> >> At some point, the machine wouldn't shut down gracefully. I had to
> >> hold down the power button to get it stopped. I didn't pay too much
> >> attention in the beginning, but finally looked at the console before
> >> hitting the power button and the avahi daemon was complaining that
> >> /etc/init.d/rc didn't exist. I meant to look into it but never did.
> >
> >> What might have happened and how do I fix it -- short of
> >> re-installing?
>
> Sometimes re-installing ain't a bad thing. Heh, using the right CD fixed
> mine. Ric
>
> --

Nils, I had nothing in init.d -- in fact init.d was not a directory, but
a regular file that had nothing to do with run levels or services.

I moved that file out of the way, installed the sysv-rc file in a new
directory I named init.d, and then tried to upgrade grub, but got an
error about a conflict with nouveau. The problem in the end was a
failure in overwriting files in /etc/kernel/ -- which, like init.d --
was no longer a directory but some stray file. Looking around further I
found that /etc/grub.d was not a directory, but a symlink to a file that
looked like a bittorrent file.

My upgrade to Lucid must have been badly mangled -- or I was hacked,
which seems so unlikely because I have not used this machine much, and
certainly for nothing exotic. If I was hacked, it's a pretty useless
zombie since it's so rarely powered up and connected. But I don't know.
I've searched on the web for any of these things and found nothing.

Ric, I think you are right. It's time for a reinstall. Whether mangled
or hacked, it looks like the right way to go. I just have to decide what
to install. It's a dual boot with Win 7 on the other partition. I like
Ubuntu because it's friendly to commercial video on this one. Maybe I'll
try 11.10 and see the terrible Unity for myself.

Barry

love email again

Old 12-25-2011, 09:44 PM
Nils Kassube

Barry wrote:
> Nils, I had nothing in init.d -- in fact init.d was not a directory,
> but a regular file that had nothing to do with run levels or
> services.

Well, then your system really seems to be quite broken and you should
reinstall. But before that you might want to make a backup of your home
folder.

Nils

Old 12-25-2011, 09:51 PM
"compdoc"

Barry wrote:
> Nils, I had nothing in init.d -- in fact init.d was not a directory,
> but a regular file that had nothing to do with run levels or services.

There are times when things go screwy without an underlying cause - example,
just an improper shutdown can sometimes trash things. But rarely things go
as badly as you describe.

Being a laptop, always check the SMART data for the drive. Laptops tend to
get banged and the drives are susceptible.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:21 PM
"Barry"

On Sun, Dec 25, 2011, at 03:51 PM, compdoc wrote:
> Barry wrote:
> > Nils, I had nothing in init.d -- in fact init.d was not a directory,
> > but a regular file that had nothing to do with run levels or services.
>
> There are times when things go screwy without an underlying cause -
> example,
> just an improper shutdown can sometimes trash things. But rarely things
> go
> as badly as you describe.
>
> Being a laptop, always check the SMART data for the drive. Laptops tend
> get banged and the drives are susceptible.
>

> --

Thanks to all. A reinstall it will be.