-   -   Open JDK 7 doesn't have 64 bit package or a mozilla plugin? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/613660-open-jdk-7-doesnt-have-64-bit-package-mozilla-plugin.html)

Ric Moore 12-24-2011 06:20 PM

Open JDK 7 doesn't have 64 bit package or a mozilla plugin?

Just freshly installed Xubuntu 11.10 which I'm quite pleased with.
Instead of jumping through the oracle hoops, to install Oracle 7 JDK,
I'm trying to make do with the OpenJDK 7. But, it's i386 and lacks a
mozilla plugin. I've googled, and just don't find it, shy of compiling
Open Jdk. At that point, I'd be just as well off installing Oracle's
version. Is anyone familiar with this case??

I did get Open Wonderland to compile and run the server, though. I was
pleasantly surprised at that. But, when I try running the java client in
Firefox, it starts opening a bunch of tabs, like a drunken sailor. The
OpenJDK mozilla plugin links to OpenJDK 6, which also is installed,
which seems like a waste just to get a mozilla plugin.

Thanks, Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Craig White 12-24-2011 07:13 PM

On Sat, 2011-12-24 at 14:20 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> Just freshly installed Xubuntu 11.10 which I'm quite pleased with.
> Instead of jumping through the oracle hoops, to install Oracle 7 JDK,
> I'm trying to make do with the OpenJDK 7. But, it's i386 and lacks a
> mozilla plugin. I've googled, and just don't find it, shy of compiling
> Open Jdk. At that point, I'd be just as well off installing Oracle's
> version. Is anyone familiar with this case??
>
> I did get Open Wonderland to compile and run the server, though. I was
> pleasantly surprised at that. But, when I try running the java client in
> Firefox, it starts opening a bunch of tabs, like a drunken sailor. The
> OpenJDK mozilla plugin links to OpenJDK 6, which also is installed,
> which seems like a waste just to get a mozilla plugin.
----
apt-cache search icedtea

Craig

believed to be clean.

Ric Moore 12-24-2011 11:39 PM

Open JDK 7 doesn't have 64 bit package or a mozilla plugin?

I did get Open Wonderland to compile and run the server, though. I was
pleasantly surprised at that. But, when I try running the java client in
Firefox, it starts opening a bunch of tabs, like a drunken sailor. The
OpenJDK mozilla plugin links to OpenJDK 6, which also is installed,
which seems like a waste just to get a mozilla plugin.

----
apt-cache search icedtea

OK. Did that. I have the iced tea plugin installed. No matter, when I
click on the script button that launches the java client from Firefox,
it starts opening new tabs like it's on crack. Strange. Plus, everything
I've installed is 32bit. With 6 cores and 16 gigs of ram, it's kinda
crazy to be running 32bit java on what is supposed to be a server. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Craig White 12-25-2011 12:00 AM

On Sat, 2011-12-24 at 19:39 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 12/24/2011 03:13 PM, Craig White wrote:
> > On Sat, 2011-12-24 at 14:20 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
>
> >> I did get Open Wonderland to compile and run the server, though. I was
> >> pleasantly surprised at that. But, when I try running the java client in
> >> Firefox, it starts opening a bunch of tabs, like a drunken sailor. The
> >> OpenJDK mozilla plugin links to OpenJDK 6, which also is installed,
> >> which seems like a waste just to get a mozilla plugin.
> > ----
> > apt-cache search icedtea
>
> OK. Did that. I have the iced tea plugin installed. No matter, when I
> click on the script button that launches the java client from Firefox,
> it starts opening new tabs like it's on crack. Strange. Plus, everything
> I've installed is 32bit. With 6 cores and 16 gigs of ram, it's kinda
> crazy to be running 32bit java on what is supposed to be a server. Ric
----
are you running a 64 bit kernel? If so, there shouldn't be any need to
run a 32 bit version of openjdk/icedtea6-plugin

Craig

believed to be clean.

NoOp 12-25-2011 01:15 AM

On 12/24/2011 11:20 AM, Ric Moore wrote:
> Just freshly installed Xubuntu 11.10 which I'm quite pleased with.
> Instead of jumping through the oracle hoops, to install Oracle 7 JDK,
> I'm trying to make do with the OpenJDK 7. But, it's i386 and lacks a

http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric-updates/openjdk-7-jdk
Architecture Package Size Installed Size Files
amd64 11,198.3 kB 36,180.0 kB [list of files]
i386 10,954.4 kB 36,180.0 kB [list of files]

> mozilla plugin. I've googled, and just don't find it, shy of compiling

http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric-updates/openjdk-7-jre
suggests
icedtea6-plugin
web browser plugin to execute Java applets (dependency package)
also a virtual package provided by icedtea-plugin
http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric-updates/icedtea-plugin
Architecture Package Size Installed Size Files
amd64 195.3 kB 416.0 kB [list of files]
i386 191.6 kB 408.0 kB [list of files]

Ric Moore 12-25-2011 04:50 AM

[...]

That is what that OpenJDK package is, 32bit. I'm not finding 64bit
anything within /usr/lib/jvm located packages ...just i386. Yes, I'm
running a 64bit kernel. Oh crap... I just freshly installed and I've got
a dollar that sez it installed 32bit, I have 2 DVDs and I think I
installed the wrong one. Dang it.

wayward4now@iam:~$ uname -r
3.0.0-14-generic-pae
wayward4now@iam:~$

Crap... Bah humbug. <swears> Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Ric Moore 12-25-2011 06:21 AM

Open JDK 7 doesn't have 64 bit package or a mozilla plugin?

are you running a 64 bit kernel? If so, there shouldn't be any need to
run a 32 bit version of openjdk/icedtea6-plugin

I just installed using the right disk. THANKS! What a screwup. My bad
...nevermind! No wonder the 64bit Sun-7-Oracle install from the tar ball
refused to run. Next time I'll lay off the Peppermint Xmas Schnapps.
<grins> Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Jamie Paul Griffin 12-25-2011 07:37 AM

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 02:20:35PM -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> Just freshly installed Xubuntu 11.10 which I'm quite pleased with.
> Instead of jumping through the oracle hoops, to install Oracle 7
> JDK, I'm trying to make do with the OpenJDK 7. But, it's i386 and
> lacks a mozilla plugin. I've googled, and just don't find it, shy of
> compiling Open Jdk. At that point, I'd be just as well off
> installing Oracle's version. Is anyone familiar with this case??
>
> I did get Open Wonderland to compile and run the server, though. I
> was pleasantly surprised at that. But, when I try running the java
> client in Firefox, it starts opening a bunch of tabs, like a drunken
> sailor. The OpenJDK mozilla plugin links to OpenJDK 6, which also is
> installed, which seems like a waste just to get a mozilla plugin.

I had this problem a few days ago. Someone kindly pointed me to this link for a headache-free way to install Oracle JDK7:

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/09/how-to-install-oracle-java-7-jdk-in.html

It's now working beautifully. Hope it helps you.

jamie.

Ric Moore 12-25-2011 07:58 AM

[...]

That's the same one I use, but like an idiot I installed 32bit Xubuntu
11.10 instead of 64bit. I got my disks mixed up. I'm getting pretty good
at re-installing now. Thanks! Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Craig White 12-25-2011 10:30 PM

On Sun, 2011-12-25 at 08:37 +0000, Jamie Paul Griffin wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 02:20:35PM -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> > Just freshly installed Xubuntu 11.10 which I'm quite pleased with.
> > Instead of jumping through the oracle hoops, to install Oracle 7
> > JDK, I'm trying to make do with the OpenJDK 7. But, it's i386 and
> > lacks a mozilla plugin. I've googled, and just don't find it, shy of
> > compiling Open Jdk. At that point, I'd be just as well off
> > installing Oracle's version. Is anyone familiar with this case??
> >
> > I did get Open Wonderland to compile and run the server, though. I
> > was pleasantly surprised at that. But, when I try running the java
> > client in Firefox, it starts opening a bunch of tabs, like a drunken
> > sailor. The OpenJDK mozilla plugin links to OpenJDK 6, which also is
> > installed, which seems like a waste just to get a mozilla plugin.
>
> I had this problem a few days ago. Someone kindly pointed me to this link for a headache-free way to install Oracle JDK7:
>
> http://www.webupd8.org/2011/09/how-to-install-oracle-java-7-jdk-in.html
>
> It's now working beautifully. Hope it helps you.
----
if it floats your boat, then fine.

I'm not sure why anyone would actually want to run the closed binary
from oracle when they can run the open source version from their own
distribution. I sort of thought that is the point of open source anyway.

Opening up java was one of the really great things that Sun did prior to
their being swallowed by Oracle.

Craig

believed to be clean.