Old 12-26-2011, 12:55 AM
Ric Moore

Default Open JDK 7 doesn't have 64 bit package or a mozilla plugin?

On 12/25/2011 06:30 PM, Craig White wrote:

I'm not sure why anyone would actually want to run the closed binary
from oracle when they can run the open source version from their own
distribution. I sort of thought that is the point of open source anyway.

Craig, crack open synaptic and do the usual java search for the Oracle
Java JDK ... ain't there no mo. OpenJDK 6 has been a POS for my needs.

Opening up java was one of the really great things that Sun did prior to
their being swallowed by Oracle.

I agree, but Sun ain't Sun, they're Oracle now. And the Sun/Oracle Java
6 packages are no more too, as was promised. And, so far, as I haven't
had time to test the OpenJDK 7 to see if it has it's graphics issues
settled out, which were show stoppers when trying to run my server. I
will have to use the Oracle brand of Java 7 in order for my server to
work at all, with more than one core taking the loads. But, do a
synaptic search on "sun" or "oracle" or "java", in synaptic and there is
nothing but OpenJDK or IcedTea listed. So, I have two choices; "One will
go and the other be slow."

And, after turning on the script for libdvdcss2 my frickin' DVD no
longer plays ...again. I shouldn't have done that as it worked prior,
after I freshly installed. There's lots of bug reports about it, so I'm
studying the script to see if I can figure out where it put stuff and
maybe just erase those files. Or, it'll be another re-install and ignore
any of my DVD's that are encrypted. <bangs head on work desk>

As Emily Latilda used to say "It's always something." Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 12-26-2011, 02:30 AM
Craig White

On Sun, 2011-12-25 at 20:55 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 12/25/2011 06:30 PM, Craig White wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure why anyone would actually want to run the closed binary
> > from oracle when they can run the open source version from their own
> > distribution. I sort of thought that is the point of open source anyway.
>
> Craig, crack open synaptic and do the usual java search for the Oracle
> Java JDK ... ain't there no mo. OpenJDK 6 has been a POS for my needs.
----
of course you won't find oracle's java (either jre or jdk) in any Linux
distribution since it is binary only.

The whole point of openjdk was to deploy a completely open source
version of java.

Now I would suspect that your rendered judgment of openjdk being a POS
probably stems from some ancient version that probably didn't have the
muscle for running some java based web app but for at least a year now,
it should be enough to satisfy the needs of about 90% of the Linux
users.

I haven't checked Ubuntu's versions but I know that Fedora's eclipse
development and tomcat use openjdk and are quite functional.

If there is something that you can't do with openjdk and/or
icedtea6-plugin at this point, I would be surprised.

Then if you toss in the distinct advantage of having timely updates
automatically installed whenever you update, code that is openly audited
and monitored for security issues I think you can figure out that their
are distinct advantages to openjdk.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:38 AM
Ric Moore

[...]

Sure, Joe and Jane Lunchbucket use it mainly for their browsers. But,
it's the 10% that couldn't use it that have to resort to using the
Oracle Version. And, I'm talking version 6 here. Not ancient history.

I haven't checked Ubuntu's versions but I know that Fedora's eclipse
development and tomcat use openjdk and are quite functional.

If there is something that you can't do with openjdk and/or
icedtea6-plugin at this point, I would be surprised.

Well, what I am doing involves 3D graphics. 3D worlds. Trust me, Open
JDK doesn't work with intensive graphical accelerated applications. I'm
in my third year in a beta of what is now called "Open Wonderland",
which was originally a Sun Project. And, whatever is being called in it,
doesn't work 100% with OpenJDK version 6. The client screens, after
logging in, go black.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:54 AM
Ric Moore