Old 12-23-2011, 09:24 PM
Liam Proven

Default Problem installing on an Acer Aspire One

I have an AOA110. It's the old one with 512MB RAM and an 8GB SSD (the
faster Samsung model.)

It runs Linpus. I'd like to replace this with something newer.

It will boot Ubuntu (well, Mint 9) off an /install/ on a USB stick, no problems.

What it won't do is boot any live distro. I've tried Ubuntu 11.10,
Meego and ChromeOS. They just display the SYSLINUX message and then
freeze solid.

The BIOS is current, but I've updated it just in case.

There are few options to twiddle in this machine.

Anyone have any idea what's up?

Old 12-23-2011, 11:59 PM
Conny Enstrm

I have an AOA110. It's the old one with 512MB RAM and an 8GB SSD (the
faster Samsung model.)

It runs Linpus. I'd like to replace this with something newer.

It will boot Ubuntu (well, Mint 9) off an /install/ on a USB stick, no problems.

What it won't do is boot any live distro. I've tried Ubuntu 11.10,
Meego and ChromeOS. They just display the SYSLINUX message and then
freeze solid.

The BIOS is current, but I've updated it just in case.

There are few options to twiddle in this machine.

Anyone have any idea what's up?

Try the text install version of Ubuntu.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Liam Proven

2011/12/24 Conny Enström <uncurbed@swipnet.se>:
> 2011-12-23 23:24, Liam Proven skrev:
>
>> I have an AOA110. It's the old one with 512MB RAM and an 8GB SSD (the
>> faster Samsung model.)
>>
>> It runs Linpus. I'd like to replace this with something newer.
>>
>> It will boot Ubuntu (well, Mint 9) off an /install/ on a USB stick, no
>> problems.
>>
>> What it won't do is boot any live distro. I've tried Ubuntu 11.10,
>> Meego and ChromeOS. They just display the SYSLINUX message and then
>> freeze solid.
>>
>> The BIOS is current, but I've updated it just in case.
>>
>> There are few options to twiddle in this machine.
>>
>> Anyone have any idea what's up?
>>

> Try the text install version of Ubuntu.

Since it's not even getting as far as trying to load the kernel, on 3
different distros, do you think this is likely to make much
difference?

Old 12-24-2011, 03:27 PM
ssc1478

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 7:36 AM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/12/24 Conny Enstrm <uncurbed@swipnet.se>:
>> 2011-12-23 23:24, Liam Proven skrev:
>>
>>> I have an AOA110. It's the old one with 512MB RAM and an 8GB SSD (the
>>> faster Samsung model.)
>>>
>>> It runs Linpus. I'd like to replace this with something newer.
>>>
>>> It will boot Ubuntu (well, Mint 9) off an /install/ on a USB stick, no
>>> problems.
>>>
>>> What it won't do is boot any live distro. I've tried Ubuntu 11.10,
>>> Meego and ChromeOS. They just display the SYSLINUX message and then
>>> freeze solid.
>>>
>>> The BIOS is current, but I've updated it just in case.
>>>
>>> There are few options to twiddle in this machine.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any idea what's up?

FWIW:
I have a Dell netbook that has an unsupported video card (Intel GMA
something.) It would not boot into a live distro later than 10.04
LTS. So what I did was install 10.04 LTS then upgrade to 10.10 then
to 11.04 then to 11.10. That worked and was painless other than the
time it took. However, since the card is unsupported the video is
crappy.

Perhaps you have a video card that the live distro iso's don't recognize?

PHil.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Scott

Liam Proven <lproven <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I have an AOA110. It's the old one with 512MB RAM and an 8GB SSD (the
> faster Samsung model.)
>
> It runs Linpus. I'd like to replace this with something newer.
>
> It will boot Ubuntu (well, Mint 9) off an /install/ on a USB stick, no
problems.

> What it won't do is boot any live distro. I've tried Ubuntu 11.10,
> Meego and ChromeOS. They just display the SYSLINUX message and then
> freeze solid.
>
> The BIOS is current, but I've updated it just in case.
>
> There are few options to twiddle in this machine.
>
> Anyone have any idea what's up?

I have successfully installed several versions of Ubuntu and Chrome OS on an
AOA110 simply by making sure the SD card is not installed. When I forget, it
doesn't work. I'm not sure what would cause this, except the boot loader
getting confused by the presence of the SD card during installation.

As a note, I have upgraded the RAM to 1.5GB. But I don't think that has
anything to do with it.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Carlos Alberto Alves

[...]

I also have this same machine and worked out-of-the-box. I do not use
any sd cards. :|

Old 01-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Jon Mirow

Hi there,
Just wondering how you created the USB? it's*definitely*possible as you can launch the installer off of the stick. Did you use unetbootin to create? To the best of my knowledge you can't use the dd command to create 11.x live USB's

Regards,
Jon

--

*********************************

* Carlos Alberto Alves * * * * **

* mailto:drca.alves@gmail.com * *

* mailto:drcaa@predialnet.com.br*

Old 01-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Liam Proven

On Jan 8, 2012 10:07 PM, "Scott" <sbennett86@gmail.com> wrote:

> Liam Proven <lproven <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > I have an AOA110. It's the old one with 512MB RAM and an 8GB SSD (the

> > faster Samsung model.)

> > It runs Linpus. I'd like to replace this with something newer.

> > It will boot Ubuntu (well, Mint 9) off an /install/ on a USB stick, no

> problems.

> > What it won't do is boot any live distro. I've tried Ubuntu 11.10,

> > Meego and ChromeOS. They just display the SYSLINUX message and then

> > freeze solid.

> > The BIOS is current, but I've updated it just in case.

> > There are few options to twiddle in this machine.

> > Anyone have any idea what's up?

> I have successfully installed several versions of Ubuntu and Chrome OS on an

> AOA110 simply by making sure the SD card is not installed. *When I forget, it

> doesn't work. *I'm not sure what would cause this, except the boot loader

> getting confused by the presence of the SD card during installation.

> As a note, I have upgraded the RAM to 1.5GB. *But I don't think that has

> anything to do with it.

Thanks. That is worth knowing. I do not have any SD cards, though.

In the end, I found that Precise worked, so it is now running that. It is a little sluggish, especially compared to Linpus, which although limited, /was/ very fast.

However, the machine can do a lot more now than it could before.

I could have put a 1GB Dimm inn instead of the 512MB one, & given how much work fitting the 512 was, the shop even suggested it. But money is a major issue, & half a gig was a fiver whereas a gig would have been 30 - six times as much.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:49 AM
Liam Proven

On Jan 9, 2012 9:29 PM, "Jon Mirow" <gnu.mirow@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there,

> Just wondering how you created the USB? it's*definitely*possible as you can launch the installer off of the stick. Did you use unetbootin to create? To the best of my knowledge you can't use the dd command to create 11.x live USB's

> Regards,

> Jon

> On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 6:39 PM, Carlos Alberto Alves <drcaa@predialnet.com.br> wrote:

>>> problems.

>>> I have successfully installed several versions of Ubuntu and Chrome OS on an

>>> AOA110 simply by making sure the SD card is not installed. *When I forget, it

>>> doesn't work. *I'm not sure what would cause this, except the boot loader

>>> getting confused by the presence of the SD card during installation.

>>> As a note, I have upgraded the RAM to 1.5GB. *But I don't think that has

>>> anything to do with it.

>> I also have this same machine and worked out-of-the-box. I do not use any sd cards. *:|

I used unetbootin.

Oddly, 12.04 Just Worked™ with no problems.

I tried Meego & Hexxus' Chrome OS in Virtualbox. Neither would boot; it said the IMG file was not a valid image. VMware booted Meego just fine but although the installer ran happily, the result would not boot. It could not even boot Chrome OS.

Odd.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Scott

Liam Proven <lproven <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Jan 9, 2012 9:29 PM, "Jon Mirow" <gnu.mirow <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Just wondering how you created the USB? it's*definitely*possible as you can
launch the installer off of the stick. Did you use unetbootin to create? To the
best of my knowledge you can't use the dd command to create 11.x live USB's

> > Regards,
> >
> > Jon
> >

> > On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 6:39 PM, Carlos Alberto Alves <drcaa <at>
predialnet.com.br> wrote:

> >> I also have this same machine and worked out-of-the-box. I do not use any
sd cards. *:|
> I used unetbootin.
> Oddly, 12.04 Just Worked™ with no problems.
> I tried Meego & Hexxus' Chrome OS in Virtualbox. Neither would boot; it said
the IMG file was not a valid image. VMware booted Meego just fine but although
the installer ran happily, the result would not boot. It could not even boot
Chrome OS.

> Odd.

I tried to follow the instructions in several locations to install the Hexxeh
build of Chromium Lime using dd, but it never worked. I found another set of
directions that used a different utility (I don't have the name of it right now,
but it was USB-(something) in the repositories). Looked like this utility used
dd in the background, but whatever it did seemed to work. The thing with
Chromium is it uses a .IMG file, so the Ubuntu Startup Disk Creator (which I
normally use) and unetbootin didn't seem to support that.

So after sorting out the correct stick creation utility and making sure I had no
SD card in the SD slot, it installed just fine.