Old 12-23-2011, 05:08 PM
Rajeev Prasad

Default ubuntu server question

friends,
does the ubuntu server auto-updates all the loaded/configured software, as it does with the desktop edition? if not what do i need to do to auto-update all installed software/patches/packages ?
thank you.Rajeev--

Old 12-23-2011, 05:41 PM
Knute Johnson

does the ubuntu server auto-updates all the loaded/configured software,
as it does with the desktop edition? if not what do i need to do to
auto-update all installed software/patches/packages ?

thank you.
Rajeev

I don't know if there is an option. On mine it loads critical updates
and if I want the others I need to run them manually. Either aptitude
full-upgrade or apt-get upgrade.

--

Knute Johnson

Old 12-23-2011, 06:32 PM
"David C. Curtis"

https://help.ubuntu.com/11.10/serverguide/C/automatic-updates.html

Old 12-23-2011, 11:37 PM
Rajeev Prasad

thank you David. I was able to install and resolve minor hiccups regarding it.now how can i force the system to check for any available updates? ty.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:37 AM
Colin Law

On 24 December 2011 00:37, Rajeev Prasad <rp.neuli@yahoo.com> wrote:
> thank you David. I was able to install and resolve minor hiccups regarding
> it.
> now how can i force the system to check for any available updates? ty.

To manually check for updates and install them (I presume that is the
question) then do
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.

Colin

Old 12-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Liam Proven

On 23 December 2011 18:08, Rajeev Prasad <rp.neuli@yahoo.com> wrote:
> friends,
>
> does the ubuntu server auto-updates all the loaded/configured software, as
> it does with the desktop edition? if not what do i need to do to auto-update
> all installed software/patches/packages ?

Use "unattended-upgrades":
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AutomaticSecurityUpdates