-   -   ubuntu server question (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/613314-ubuntu-server-question.html)

Rajeev Prasad 12-23-2011 05:08 PM

ubuntu server question

friends,
does the ubuntu server auto-updates all the loaded/configured software, as it does with the desktop edition? if not what do i need to do to auto-update all installed software/patches/packages ?
thank you.Rajeev--

Knute Johnson 12-23-2011 05:41 PM

ubuntu server question

does the ubuntu server auto-updates all the loaded/configured software,
as it does with the desktop edition? if not what do i need to do to
auto-update all installed software/patches/packages ?

thank you.
Rajeev

I don't know if there is an option. On mine it loads critical updates
and if I want the others I need to run them manually. Either aptitude
full-upgrade or apt-get upgrade.

--

Knute Johnson

"David C. Curtis" 12-23-2011 06:32 PM

ubuntu server question

https://help.ubuntu.com/11.10/serverguide/C/automatic-updates.html

Rajeev Prasad 12-23-2011 11:37 PM

ubuntu server question

thank you David. I was able to install and resolve minor hiccups regarding it.now how can i force the system to check for any available updates? ty.

Colin Law 12-24-2011 08:37 AM

ubuntu server question

On 24 December 2011 00:37, Rajeev Prasad <rp.neuli@yahoo.com> wrote:
> thank you David. I was able to install and resolve minor hiccups regarding
> it.
> now how can i force the system to check for any available updates? ty.

To manually check for updates and install them (I presume that is the
question) then do
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.

Colin

Liam Proven 12-24-2011 12:05 PM

ubuntu server question

On 23 December 2011 18:08, Rajeev Prasad <rp.neuli@yahoo.com> wrote:
> friends,
>
> does the ubuntu server auto-updates all the loaded/configured software, as
> it does with the desktop edition? if not what do i need to do to auto-update
> all installed software/patches/packages ?

Use "unattended-upgrades":
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AutomaticSecurityUpdates