Old 12-23-2011, 10:35 AM
"Rameshwar Kr. Sharma"

Default Newbie query: Ubuntu vs openSUSE

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 3:52 PM, Jamie Paul Griffin
<jamie@kontrol.kode5.net> wrote:

> Having tried OpenSuse I can say that Ubuntu is certainly the better choice, in my opinion. The package manager is superior and overall finish and quality is better. I remember I came across an article comparing the two where the author described YAST as "a pig" which made me laugh; and i'm afraid that based on my experiences at that time, I have to agree.

Okay I don't know, may be Yast is the package manager, but **how**
package manager of Ubuntu is better, can you please explain me a
little?

> Ubuntu have designed their system with new Linux users in mind. You will have a really good system to learn on.

Okk, then I must go with Ubuntu.

> One thing you must consider when it comes to choosing a desktop environment is the hardware on which you will use Linux, especially the graphics hardware. The reason is that if you are using older hardware you might find that newer versions of KDE4 and Unity, for example, will be terribly slow and it could ruin your new experience. Please bare that in mind. XFCE4 has been designed to overcome some of those problems and so is more lightweight in terms of memory, etc.

Okay, my hard ware is nether too old nor is extremely new, its in between.

> Don't forget that many distributions provide the option to have discs sent to you by post. Some you may need to make a small donation, others will be free. You can then use the liveCD option or you could think about running them in a virtual environment, like Virtual Box or VMWare.

Okk, I didn't know this fact, I try then.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:37 AM
"Rameshwar Kr. Sharma"

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 5:01 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Don't reject Unity without giving it a good try. *Many do like it but
> as always those that object are more vociferous.

Well, I would try but I don't why some people abused it, might be vociferous.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:50 AM
Colin Law

On 23 December 2011 11:37, Rameshwar Kr. Sharma
<mathsrealworld@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 5:01 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Don't reject Unity without giving it a good try. *Many do like it but
>> as always those that object are more vociferous.
>
> Well, I would try but I don't why some people abused it, might be vociferous.

People who are happy with something just get on with life and do not
shout about it. Those that are unhappy are more likely to complain
loudly.

Colin

Old 12-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Jamie Paul Griffin

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 05:05:16PM +0530, Rameshwar Kr. Sharma wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 3:52 PM, Jamie Paul Griffin
> <jamie@kontrol.kode5.net> wrote:

> Okay I don't know, may be Yast is the package manager, but **how**
> package manager of Ubuntu is better, can you please explain me a
> little?

Yes, YAST is the package manager for OpenSuse. This would be a good opportunity for you to take some time to read about the two package managers and how they work, rather than just excepting the opinions of myself and other list members. You should read about both distributions as much as you can. It is tempting to just install, try and then do the same for another but really if you're going to start learning Linux and UNIX seriously then you must read as much as possible. The benefits
from doing so are massive.

> Okk, then I must go with Ubuntu.

Personally I think you should. You won't be disappointed. I have tried many and have settled on Ubuntu for my mail and webserver.

> Okay, my hard ware is nether too old nor is extremely new, its in between.

Try to find out as much as you can about the capabilities of your hardware. Again, read as much as possible. If you decide to try a more raw version of UNIX in the future that requires more understanding to set up, Xorg for example can be tricky if you need to do any manual configuration then having researched your hardware will provide a great advantage.

> Okk, I didn't know this fact, I try then.

Good. Virtual OS installations provide a great way to test a system and explore it without causing problems.

jamie.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Richard Owlett

Rameshwar Kr. Sharma wrote:

[...]

CAUTION: You have mentioned that you have a "slow" internet
connection. "slow" is a vague term. If "slow" is due to
using a dial up connection, be aware that the Live CD does
no have an accessible dialer although there are apparently
several available in the repository. (Verified on version
10.10, don't know about later versions)

Old 12-23-2011, 11:48 AM
"Rameshwar Kr. Sharma"

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 5:26 PM, Jamie Paul Griffin
<jamie@kontrol.kode5.net> wrote:

> Yes, YAST is the package manager for OpenSuse. This would be a good opportunity for you to take some time to read about the two package managers and how they work, rather than just excepting the opinions of myself and other list members. You should read about both distributions as much as you can. It is tempting to just install, try and then do the same for another but really if you're going to start learning Linux and UNIX seriously then you must read as much as possible. The benefits
> from doing so are massive.

> Personally I think you should. You won't be disappointed. I have tried many and have settled on Ubuntu for my mail and webserver.

> Try to find out as much as you can about the capabilities of your hardware. Again, read as much as possible. If you decide to try a more raw version of UNIX in the future that requires more understanding to set up, Xorg for example can be tricky if you need to do any manual configuration then having researched your hardware will provide a great advantage.

> Good. Virtual OS installations provide a great way to test a system and explore it without causing problems.

Well thanks for the suggestions. I would read but right now can one
tell me the difference between the two package managers :- Yast and
Ubuntu's in general terms?

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:48 AM
"Rameshwar Kr. Sharma"

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

> People who are happy with something just get on with life and do not
> shout about it. *Those that are unhappy are more likely to complain
> loudly.

That's really a truth you told, thanks for it.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:49 AM
"Rameshwar Kr. Sharma"

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 5:45 PM, Richard Owlett <rowlett@pcnetinc.com> wrote:

> CAUTION: You have mentioned that you have a "slow" internet connection.

I meant a slow broadband connection, P.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:55 AM
Jamie Paul Griffin

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 06:18:15PM +0530, Rameshwar Kr. Sharma wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 5:26 PM, Jamie Paul Griffin
> <jamie@kontrol.kode5.net> wrote:

> Well thanks for the suggestions. I would read but right now can one
> tell me the difference between the two package managers :- Yast and
> Ubuntu's in general terms?

Trying to read-up on topics prior to posting to mailing lists is really the best approach to take. Besides, as this mailing list is focused on Ubuntu it's possible many users will know very little about the package managers of other distributions.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Hans Muecke

Am Donnerstag, 22. Dezember 2011, um 23:37:51 schrieb Rameshwar Kr. Sharma:

> I really needed the suggestion of the people of this great mailing
> list regarding the difference between the openSUSE and the Ubuntu
> distributions, finding myself new in this world of Linux or Unix
> (whatever you people call), I guess here people have nice experiences
> and thus can make better points.

I was on openSUSE before I changed to Ubuntu and since I use(d) KDE on both
distros I actually can't see much difference between both.
However ... the reason to switch to Ubuntu was, that on openSUSE - at least on
my end - no upgrade went without some major trouble.

--
Talk to you later ... Hans (259 to go)

2011/12/23 12:50
EDDS 231250Z 21005KT 9999 BKN030 07/05 Q1022 NOSIG