Old 12-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Richard Owlett

Default Needed fully functional

Colin Law wrote:

On 22 December 2011 14:17, Richard Owlett<rowlett@pcnetinc.com> wrote:

Avi Greenbury wrote:

ghana.computeraid@gmail.com wrote:

What is the most easy way to put ubuntu on a pendrive? Preferably
withtout leaving windows

Probably unetbootin[0]. When you say you want to "put ubuntu on a
pendrive", what do you then want to do with that pendrive? There's two
common similar-but-different use-cases:

1) A 'live USB' system. On this system, you can boot off the USB stick
into a working Ubuntu install. When you shut down, you lose any chanegs
you've made and the next time you boot off it you get a new system.

2) A system installed onto the USB stick, such that on boot you get an
option between your existing OS (Windows) and the Ubuntu on the USB
stick.

Unetbootin does option 1, 2 is a bit more tricky, but quite doable if
that's what you're after.

I don't know about OP, BUT I'd definitely like a pointer to
_CLEAR *AND* CORRECT_
instructions for a modified option 2 -- pendrive must be bootable when BIOS
selects as boot device. My goal is having identical environment whether
using my laptop or desktop machine.

Have a look at the instructions at
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download, select the appropriate
options and click Show me now.

Come back if something is not clear.

Colin

Those seem to be instructions for (expletive deleted) "Live
Install".

I want a Linux installed on a USB stick that is
indistinguishable from what would be on your hard drive if
one had chosen "Install Now" on "Live CD" and chosen "wipe
out my life's work currently on hard drive and any existing OS".

I haven't decided whether to laugh, cry, or stop banging my
head on desk
I've been fighting this for > year. I followed on set of
instructions several months ago and ended up with a dual
boot muck-up with grub on my hard drive and and a
non-bootable install on USB stick.

I think the installation menu on the "Live" device should be:

Install
to internal drive
dual boot install
delete current OS and install as only OS
to external drive
specify external drive

Old 12-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Colin Law

On 22 December 2011 15:52, Richard Owlett <rowlett@pcnetinc.com> wrote:
> Colin Law wrote:

>>> I don't know about OP, BUT I'd definitely like a pointer to
>>> * * * * * * * * * *_CLEAR *AND* CORRECT_
>>> instructions for a modified option 2 -- pendrive must be bootable when
>>> BIOS
>>> selects as boot device. My goal is having identical environment whether
>>> using my laptop or desktop machine.
>>

>> Have a look at the instructions at
>> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download, select the appropriate
>> options and click Show me now.
>>
>> Come back if something is not clear.
>>
>> Colin
>>

> Those seem to be instructions for (expletive deleted) "Live Install".
>
> I want a Linux installed on a USB stick that is indistinguishable from what
> would be on your hard drive if one had chosen "Install Now" on "Live CD" and
> chosen "wipe out my life's work currently on hard drive and any existing
> OS".

Does not the documents and settings will be stored in reserved extra
space setting, on the last dialog do this for you?

Colin

Old 12-22-2011, 03:11 PM
Nils Kassube

Richard Owlett wrote:
> I want a Linux installed on a USB stick that is
> indistinguishable from what would be on your hard drive if
> one had chosen "Install Now" on "Live CD" and chosen "wipe
> out my life's work currently on hard drive and any existing OS".

Install VirtualBox and "VirtualBox Extension Pack" from
<https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads> (select the version for your
current OS).

Create a virtual machine without a virtual disk and let it boot from the
ISO file of the Ubuntu version you want to install.

Attach your pendrive to that machine.

Install the Ubuntu system to the pendrive (which is seen as an internal
disk to the virtual machine). Beware - you will lose all your data on
the pendrive and it will be formatted with ext4 afterwards (unless you
use custom partitioning).

Nils

Old 12-23-2011, 09:20 PM
Liam Proven

On 22 December 2011 15:52, Richard Owlett <rowlett@pcnetinc.com> wrote:

> Those seem to be instructions for (expletive deleted) "Live Install".
>
> I want a Linux installed on a USB stick that is indistinguishable from what
> would be on your hard drive if one had chosen "Install Now" on "Live CD" and
> chosen "wipe out my life's work currently on hard drive and any existing
> OS".
>
> I haven't decided whether to laugh, cry, or stop banging my head on desk
> I've been fighting this for > year. I followed on set of instructions
> several months ago and ended up with a dual boot muck-up with grub on my
> hard drive and and a non-bootable install on USB stick.
>
> I think the installation menu on the "Live" device should be:
>

> Install
> *to internal drive
> * * dual boot install
> * * delete current OS and install as only OS
> *to external drive
> * * specify external drive

It's not going to happen, I think.

I too went looking for info on this and failing to find it. But it's
actually quite easy. You just do it. Partition your USB stick first if
you like - GParted works well. Then just choose it as the disk to
install upon, and also be sure to choose the whole device (e.g.
/dev/sdb *NOT* /dev/sdb1) for the installation of the bootloader. DO
NOT PUT THE BOOTLOADER ON YOUR HARD DRIVE. This is the default. It is
ESSENTIAL to override this and tell it to put it on the USB stick.

The easiest way to achieve this is to temporarily disconnect your hard
disk. Then you will have no way to get it wrong, and the USB stick's
GRUB menu will be free of entries for your HD's OS.

Just try it. Forget instructions. Just do it. It's easy. It just works.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Richard Owlett

Liam Proven wrote:

[...]

With Ubuntu's powers-that-be being as paternalistic in their
ow way as MS and Mr. Gates, I find it extremely doubtful
also. I was just stating how I thought it should be done.

I too went looking for info on this and failing to find it. But it's
actually quite easy. You just do it. Partition your USB stick first if
you like - GParted works well. Then just choose it as the disk to
install upon, and also be sure to choose the whole device (e.g.
/dev/sdb *NOT* /dev/sdb1) for the installation of the bootloader.

That is what I _*THOUGHT*_ I had done.

DO
NOT PUT THE BOOTLOADER ON YOUR HARD DRIVE. This is the default. It is
ESSENTIAL to override this and tell it to put it on the USB stick.

I do not recall an option for doing so.
How is that indicated?
Is it available in 10.10, or do I have to download the ISO
of a different version of the "Live CD"?

The easiest way to achieve this is to temporarily disconnect your hard
disk. Then you will have no way to get it wrong, and the USB stick's
GRUB menu will be free of entries for your HD's OS.

Just try it. Forget instructions. Just do it. It's easy. It just works.

Oh ye of over abundant faith. I've having computer failures
for 50 YEARS ;/

Old 12-24-2011, 06:30 PM
Colin Law

On 24 December 2011 17:28, Richard Owlett <rowlett@pcnetinc.com> wrote:
> Oh ye of over abundant faith. I've having computer failures for 50 YEARS ;/

Same here (well 44 years anyway), but generally they have been down to
operator error

Colin

Old 12-24-2011, 09:35 PM
Richard Owlett