Old 12-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Avi Greenbury

Default Ubuntu on pendrive

ghana.computeraid@gmail.com wrote:
> What is the most easy way to put ubuntu on a pendrive? Preferably
> withtout leaving windows

Probably unetbootin[0]. When you say you want to "put ubuntu on a
pendrive", what do you then want to do with that pendrive? There's two
common similar-but-different use-cases:

1) A 'live USB' system. On this system, you can boot off the USB stick
into a working Ubuntu install. When you shut down, you lose any chanegs
you've made and the next time you boot off it you get a new system.

2) A system installed onto the USB stick, such that on boot you get an
option between your existing OS (Windows) and the Ubuntu on the USB
stick.

Unetbootin does option 1, 2 is a bit more tricky, but quite doable if
that's what you're after.

--
Avi

[0] http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Old 12-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Richard Owlett

Avi Greenbury wrote:

ghana.computeraid@gmail.com wrote:

What is the most easy way to put ubuntu on a pendrive? Preferably
withtout leaving windows

Probably unetbootin[0]. When you say you want to "put ubuntu on a
pendrive", what do you then want to do with that pendrive? There's two
common similar-but-different use-cases:

1) A 'live USB' system. On this system, you can boot off the USB stick
into a working Ubuntu install. When you shut down, you lose any chanegs
you've made and the next time you boot off it you get a new system.

2) A system installed onto the USB stick, such that on boot you get an
option between your existing OS (Windows) and the Ubuntu on the USB
stick.

Unetbootin does option 1, 2 is a bit more tricky, but quite doable if
that's what you're after.

I don't know about OP, BUT I'd definitely like a pointer to
_CLEAR *AND* CORRECT_
instructions for a modified option 2 -- pendrive must be
bootable when BIOS selects as boot device. My goal is having
identical environment whether using my laptop or desktop
machine.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:32 PM
Colin Law

On 22 December 2011 14:17, Richard Owlett <rowlett@pcnetinc.com> wrote:
> Avi Greenbury wrote:
>>
>> ghana.computeraid@gmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>> What is the most easy way to put ubuntu on a pendrive? Preferably
>>> withtout leaving windows
>>

>> Probably unetbootin[0]. When you say you want to "put ubuntu on a
>> pendrive", what do you then want to do with that pendrive? There's two
>> common similar-but-different use-cases:
>>
>> 1) A 'live USB' system. On this system, you can boot off the USB stick
>> into a working Ubuntu install. When you shut down, you lose any chanegs
>> you've made and the next time you boot off it you get a new system.
>>
>> 2) A system installed onto the USB stick, such that on boot you get an
>> option between your existing OS (Windows) and the Ubuntu on the USB
>> stick.
>>
>> Unetbootin does option 1, 2 is a bit more tricky, but quite doable if
>> that's what you're after.
>>

> I don't know about OP, BUT I'd definitely like a pointer to
> * * * * * * * * * *_CLEAR *AND* CORRECT_
> instructions for a modified option 2 -- pendrive must be bootable when BIOS
> selects as boot device. My goal is having identical environment whether
> using my laptop or desktop machine.

Have a look at the instructions at
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download, select the appropriate
options and click Show me now.

Come back if something is not clear.

Colin

Old 12-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Koh Choon Lin

Hi

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 8:06 AM, <ghana.computeraid@gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the most easy way to put ubuntu on a pendrive? Preferably withtout leaving windows

The easiest way is to boot up Ubuntu CD and use Ubuntu's very own
"Startup Disk Creator" to put Ubuntu to a pendrive.

With a LiveCD, the worst you have in Ubuntu to do is to reboot and try again.

--
Regards
Koh Choon Lin

Old 12-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Avi Greenbury

Richard Owlett wrote:
> I don't know about OP, BUT I'd definitely like a pointer to
> _CLEAR *AND* CORRECT_
> instructions for a modified option 2 -- pendrive must be
> bootable when BIOS selects as boot device. My goal is having
> identical environment whether using my laptop or desktop
> machine.

I've not got the bits to hand to try this and write in more detail,
but choosing the USB drive as the installation target for Ubuntu, and
then again as the installation target for Grub (as opposed to the
standard of the primary HDD) should do that for you. Assuming you've
tried that, what didn't work?

--
Avi

Old 12-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Richard Owlett

Avi Greenbury wrote:

Richard Owlett wrote:

I don't know about OP, BUT I'd definitely like a pointer to
_CLEAR *AND* CORRECT_
instructions for a modified option 2 -- pendrive must be
bootable when BIOS selects as boot device. My goal is having
identical environment whether using my laptop or desktop
machine.

I've not got the bits to hand to try this and write in more detail,
but choosing the USB drive as the installation target for Ubuntu, and
then again as the installation target for Grub (as opposed to the
standard of the primary HDD) should do that for you. Assuming you've
tried that, what didn't work?

I thought I did ;/
I'm going to follow up in Liam's comments.
He may have prodded where I went wrong.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Richard Owlett

Koh Choon Lin wrote:

Hi

What is the most easy way to put ubuntu on a pendrive? Preferably withtout leaving windows

The easiest way is to boot up Ubuntu CD and use Ubuntu's very own
"Startup Disk Creator" to put Ubuntu to a pendrive.

With a LiveCD, the worst you have in Ubuntu to do is to reboot and try again.

I just tried. According to what appeared on-screen, all went
well ;/

BUT it would not boot :<
Not sure it's worth my time as it makes on screen comments
about "persistent store" wheick likely means it creating on
of those "live installs" - explicitly what I do *NOT* want.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:01 PM
Liam Proven

On 24 December 2011 14:27, Richard Owlett <rowlett@pcnetinc.com> wrote:
> Koh Choon Lin wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 8:06 AM,<ghana.computeraid@gmail.com> *wrote:
>>>
>>> What is the most easy way to put ubuntu on a pendrive? Preferably
>>> withtout leaving windows
>>>

>> The easiest way is to boot up Ubuntu CD and use Ubuntu's very own
>> "Startup Disk Creator" to put Ubuntu to a pendrive.
>>
>> With a LiveCD, the worst you have in Ubuntu to do is to reboot and try
>> again.
>>

> I just tried. According to what appeared on-screen, all went well ;/
> BUT it would not boot :<
> Not sure it's worth my time as it makes on screen comments about "persistent
> store" wheick likely means it creating on of those "live installs" -
> explicitly what I do *NOT* want.

Yes, the make-a-boot-disk tool just creates live/install media. No use
to me, either.

However, it should boot, even so. If it does not, have you checked
that your BIOS is set to try booting from USB /before/ it boots from
the hard disk?

Does your BIOS actually support booting from USB?

Also note that even if it does, you must use a motherboard-chipset USB
port. The BIOS knows nothing about add-in USB cards and will almost
certainly not boot from a device plugged into one of those.

If your BIOS cannot boot from USB, or you can only use a port on an
add-in card, then the Plop boot manager will help you. I just today
posted a link to it in reply to a comment from Colin Law. If you can't
find that, look on www.plop.at/.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Richard Owlett

Liam Proven wrote:

[...]

YES and YES
I also verified that I could boot by using a USB copy of
Porteus [essentially a Live-only derivative of a Slackware
based distro].