FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-22-2011, 10:57 AM
Chris Green
 
Default Application to show media type in CD/DVD drive

What's a good application for showing what sort of disk has been put
into the CD/DVD drive?

I currently have xfburn installed and that doesn't tell me anything about
the disk media.

--
Chris Green

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-22-2011, 02:08 PM
CJ Tres
 
Default Application to show media type in CD/DVD drive

On 12/22/2011 05:57 AM, Chris Green wrote:

What's a good application for showing what sort of disk has been put
into the CD/DVD drive?

I currently have xfburn installed and that doesn't tell me anything about
the disk media.



Are you referring to blank or written disks?
By default the Gnome desktop tells me that I've inserted a blank CD or DVD.
Of course that's only with blank media.
Probably not a lot of help but it may give you an idea for searching.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Chris Green
 
Default Application to show media type in CD/DVD drive

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 09:08:13AM -0600, CJ Tres wrote:
> On 12/22/2011 05:57 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> >What's a good application for showing what sort of disk has been put
> >into the CD/DVD drive?
> >
> >I currently have xfburn installed and that doesn't tell me anything about
> >the disk media.
> >
>
> Are you referring to blank or written disks?

Well, either really, I want to be able to check unmarked disks to see
what type of disk they are (CD or DVD, writable, re-writable, readable)
and, if they are read-only, see what sort of data is on the disk.

> By default the Gnome desktop tells me that I've inserted a blank CD or DVD.
> Of course that's only with blank media.
> Probably not a lot of help but it may give you an idea for searching.
>
Maybe I could search for 'blank media'.

I know I *used* to have an application which had a menu option that
attempted to analyse what sort of disk was in the drive, however I don't
really want to go and install lots of CD/DVD burning utilities just to
find one that can do that.

--
Chris Green

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-22-2011, 03:43 PM
Patton Echols
 
Default Application to show media type in CD/DVD drive

On 12/22/2011 07:20 AM, Chris Green wrote:

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 09:08:13AM -0600, CJ Tres wrote:

On 12/22/2011 05:57 AM, Chris Green wrote:

What's a good application for showing what sort of disk has been put
into the CD/DVD drive?

I currently have xfburn installed and that doesn't tell me anything about
the disk media.


Are you referring to blank or written disks?

Well, either really, I want to be able to check unmarked disks to see
what type of disk they are (CD or DVD, writable, re-writable, readable)
and, if they are read-only, see what sort of data is on the disk.

I don't really know, but what do you see if you insert various disks,
wait for them to settle, then check the last lines in dmesg? If that
works, you could come up with a command line that greps the relevant
entry and prints to screen.


Not elegant for sure . . .

--PE

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-22-2011, 04:10 PM
Chris Green
 
Default Application to show media type in CD/DVD drive

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 08:43:27AM -0800, Patton Echols wrote:
> On 12/22/2011 07:20 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> >On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 09:08:13AM -0600, CJ Tres wrote:
> >>On 12/22/2011 05:57 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> >>>What's a good application for showing what sort of disk has been put
> >>>into the CD/DVD drive?
> >>>
> >>>I currently have xfburn installed and that doesn't tell me anything about
> >>>the disk media.
> >>>
> >>Are you referring to blank or written disks?
> >Well, either really, I want to be able to check unmarked disks to see
> >what type of disk they are (CD or DVD, writable, re-writable, readable)
> >and, if they are read-only, see what sort of data is on the disk.
> >
> I don't really know, but what do you see if you insert various
> disks, wait for them to settle, then check the last lines in dmesg?
> If that works, you could come up with a command line that greps the
> relevant entry and prints to screen.
>
> Not elegant for sure . . .
>
I tried that, in many cases the result was absolutely nothing.

--
Chris Green

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-22-2011, 05:58 PM
NoOp
 
Default Application to show media type in CD/DVD drive

On 12/22/2011 03:57 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> What's a good application for showing what sort of disk has been put
> into the CD/DVD drive?
>
> I currently have xfburn installed and that doesn't tell me anything about
> the disk media.
>

Like this?

k3b Device|Media Info
Medium
Type: CD-R
Capacity: 79:57:71 min (702.8 MiB)
Used Capacity: 79:06:42 min (695.3 MiB)
Remaining: 00:00:00 min (0 B)
Rewritable: no
Appendable: no
Empty: no
Sessions: 1
Supported writing speeds: 8x (1411 KB/s)
16x (2822 KB/s)
32x (5645 KB/s)
40x (7056 KB/s)

ISO9660 Filesystem Info
System Id: -
Volume Id: Ubuntu 11.10 i386
Volume Set Id: -
Publisher Id: -
Preparer Id: XORRISO-1.0.8 2011.04.14.073001, LIBISOBURN-1.0.8,
LIBISOFS-1.0.8, LIBBURN-1.0.6
Application Id: -
Volume Size: 695.3 MiB (2,048 B * 355,990 blocks = 729,067,520 B)

Tracks
Type Attributes First-Last Sector Length
1 (Data/Mode1) no copy/uninterrupted 0 - 355991 355992 (79:06:42)



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Chris Green
 
Default Application to show media type in CD/DVD drive

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 10:58:00AM -0800, NoOp wrote:
> On 12/22/2011 03:57 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> > What's a good application for showing what sort of disk has been put
> > into the CD/DVD drive?
> >
> > I currently have xfburn installed and that doesn't tell me anything about
> > the disk media.
> >
>
> Like this?
>
> k3b Device|Media Info
> Medium
> Type: CD-R
> Capacity: 79:57:71 min (702.8 MiB)
> Used Capacity: 79:06:42 min (695.3 MiB)
> Remaining: 00:00:00 min (0 B)
> Rewritable: no
> Appendable: no
> Empty: no
> Sessions: 1
> Supported writing speeds: 8x (1411 KB/s)
> 16x (2822 KB/s)
> 32x (5645 KB/s)
> 40x (7056 KB/s)
>
> ISO9660 Filesystem Info
> System Id: -
> Volume Id: Ubuntu 11.10 i386
> Volume Set Id: -
> Publisher Id: -
> Preparer Id: XORRISO-1.0.8 2011.04.14.073001, LIBISOBURN-1.0.8,
> LIBISOFS-1.0.8, LIBBURN-1.0.6
> Application Id: -
> Volume Size: 695.3 MiB (2,048 B * 355,990 blocks = 729,067,520 B)
>
> Tracks
> Type Attributes First-Last Sector Length
> 1 (Data/Mode1) no copy/uninterrupted 0 - 355991 355992 (79:06:42)
>
>
Exactly! I had k3b installed once upon a time. The trouble is that it
pulls in a whole pile of KDE libraries that I don't otherwise need. Is
there no Gnome equivalent?

--
Chris Green

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Johnny
 
Default Application to show media type in CD/DVD drive

K3b is the best for this old new bee. Been using it for close to 4 years
don't think I have ever had trouble with it.

Merry Christmas and God Bless Johnny3 65++


On 12/23/2011 09:23 AM, Chris Green wrote:

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 10:58:00AM -0800, NoOp wrote:

On 12/22/2011 03:57 AM, Chris Green wrote:

What's a good application for showing what sort of disk has been put
into the CD/DVD drive?

I currently have xfburn installed and that doesn't tell me anything about
the disk media.


Like this?

k3b Device|Media Info
Medium
Type: CD-R
Capacity: 79:57:71 min (702.8 MiB)
Used Capacity: 79:06:42 min (695.3 MiB)
Remaining: 00:00:00 min (0 B)
Rewritable: no
Appendable: no
Empty: no
Sessions: 1
Supported writing speeds: 8x (1411 KB/s)
16x (2822 KB/s)
32x (5645 KB/s)
40x (7056 KB/s)

ISO9660 Filesystem Info
System Id: -
Volume Id: Ubuntu 11.10 i386
Volume Set Id: -
Publisher Id: -
Preparer Id: XORRISO-1.0.8 2011.04.14.073001, LIBISOBURN-1.0.8,
LIBISOFS-1.0.8, LIBBURN-1.0.6
Application Id: -
Volume Size: 695.3 MiB (2,048 B * 355,990 blocks = 729,067,520 B)

Tracks
Type Attributes First-Last Sector Length
1 (Data/Mode1) no copy/uninterrupted 0 - 355991 355992 (79:06:42)



Exactly! I had k3b installed once upon a time. The trouble is that it
pulls in a whole pile of KDE libraries that I don't otherwise need. Is
there no Gnome equivalent?




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-23-2011, 05:16 PM
NoOp
 
Default Application to show media type in CD/DVD drive

On 12/23/2011 06:23 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 10:58:00AM -0800, NoOp wrote:
...
>> Tracks
>> Type Attributes First-Last Sector Length
>> 1 (Data/Mode1) no copy/uninterrupted 0 - 355991 355992 (79:06:42)
>>
>>
> Exactly! I had k3b installed once upon a time. The trouble is that it
> pulls in a whole pile of KDE libraries that I don't otherwise need. Is
> there no Gnome equivalent?
>

Not as detailed as k3b, but maybe enough information for you:

$ cdck
Track list (1-1):
1: 00:02:00 (sec: 000000) data
170: 79:08:42 (sec: 355992) data (leadout)

Disc status: data mode 1
Multisession: 0
Audio status: no status

Try to find out what sort of CD this is...
CD-ROM with iso9660 fs
iso9660: 695 MB size, label 'Ubuntu 11.10 i386 '
Preparer: 'XORRISO-1.0.8 2011.04.14.073001, LIBISOBURN-1.0.8,
LIBISOFS-1.0.8, LIBBURN-1.0.6'
bootable CD




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-23-2011, 06:08 PM
Ric Moore
 
Default Application to show media type in CD/DVD drive

On 12/23/2011 09:49 AM, Johnny wrote:

K3b is the best for this old new bee. Been using it for close to 4 years
don't think I have ever had trouble with it.
Merry Christmas and God Bless Johnny3 65++


For awhile k3b made nothing but coasters for me. So, I switched to
Brasero. Now it's giving me fits. So, I installed the mkisofs and
dvdrtools packages now the DVD doesn't play DVD's. I am expecting my
10.10 DVD in hte mail and I'm gonna just re-install. It's time to clean
up anyways. Ric


--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:53 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org