Old 12-22-2011, 05:33 AM

Default convert a lost+fouind partition to ext4

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 01:25, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi on *my disk
> *sudo fdisk -l
>
> Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> Disk identifier: 0xd935d935
>
> * Device Boot * * *Start * * * * End * * *Blocks * Id *System
> /dev/sda1 * * * * * * * 1 * * * *2432 * *19530752 * 83 *Linux
> /dev/sda2 * * * * * *2432 * * * 38914 * 293037057 * *5 *Extended
> /dev/sda5 * * * * * *2432 * * * *2797 * * 2928640 * 82 *Linux swap / Solaris
> /dev/sda6 * * * * * *2797 * * * *5228 * *19529728 * 83 *Linux
> /dev/sda7 * * * * * *5228 * * * 38914 * 270576640 * 83 *Linux
>
> the last one I want to convert to ext4 or some thing which *I can
> use.In nautilus window it shows me lost+found a cross icon is marked.

That's just a common dump location for random file bits that have been
abandoned, or severly fragmented and the FS doesn't know what to do
with them... so they end up there when you run someting like fsck.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:55 AM
Avi Greenbury

Abhishek Dixit wrote:
> the last one I want to convert to ext4 or some thing which I can
> use.In nautilus window it shows me lost+found a cross icon is marked.

That lost+found directory is present on all ext filesystems - the fact
it's there suggests you've already got an ext3 or ext4 filesystem in
that partition.

I'm not all that familiar with why nautilus would display a cross on
it, but my guess is that you do not have permission to write to it
since you don't own it. It's relatively easy to fix.

What do you intend to do with it? Do you want to mount it as a
subdirectory of your home directory, or are you happy for it to appear
in /media along with removable media?

--
Avi

Old 12-22-2011, 04:04 PM
Koh Choon Lin

Hi

> the last one I want to convert to ext4 or some thing which *I can
> use.In nautilus window it shows me lost+found a cross icon is marked.

Unless you are running as root, lost+found would have a cross. Use
sudo nautilus to access it.

--
Regards
Koh Choon Lin

Old 12-22-2011, 06:59 PM
NoOp

On 12/22/2011 09:04 AM, Koh Choon Lin wrote:
> Hi
>
>> the last one I want to convert to ext4 or some thing which I can
>> use.In nautilus window it shows me lost+found a cross icon is marked.
>
> Unless you are running as root, lost+found would have a cross. Use
> sudo nautilus to access it.
Not 'sudo', use 'gksudo' for graphical applications.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo#Graphical_sudo

Old 12-23-2011, 01:23 AM
Abhishek Dixit

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Avi Greenbury <lists@avi.co> wrote:
> Abhishek Dixit wrote:
>> the last one I want to convert to ext4 or some thing which *I can
>> use.In nautilus window it shows me lost+found a cross icon is marked.
>
> That lost+found directory is present on all ext filesystems - the fact
> it's there suggests you've already got an ext3 or ext4 filesystem in
> that partition.
>
> I'm not all that familiar with why nautilus would display a cross on
> it, but my guess is that you do not have permission to write to it
> since you don't own it. It's relatively easy to fix.
>
> What do you intend to do with it? Do you want to mount it as a
> subdirectory of your home directory, or are you happy for it to appear
> in /media along with removable media?

I want to use it, it is 270+ GB which is lying unused on my system.
Is it possible that I extend the home directory or / to this size 270+ GB.
Mine is not an LVM it was a normal ext3/ext4 filesystem, how can I use
the unused space that is my problem.
I was installing vmware virtual machine and I suddenly found on my 30
GB / partition the space had finished.
When I checked I found 270+GB size unused so I want to some how use it
in my / file system.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:16 AM
Avi Greenbury

Abhishek Dixit wrote:

> I want to use it, it is 270+ GB which is lying unused on my system.
> Is it possible that I extend the home directory or / to this size
> 270+ GB. Mine is not an LVM it was a normal ext3/ext4 filesystem, how
> can I use the unused space that is my problem.

If you want to grow some other partition over it, then you'll need to
boot into a LiveCD and use the partitioner tool to adjust the
partitions - in the absence of LVM you cannot do this while the system
is using the disk.

--
Avi

Old 12-24-2011, 05:06 AM
Abhishek Dixit

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Avi Greenbury <lists@avi.co> wrote:
> Abhishek Dixit wrote:
>
>> I want to use it, it is 270+ GB which is lying unused on my system.
>> Is it possible that I extend the home directory or / to this size
>> 270+ GB. Mine is not an LVM it was a normal ext3/ext4 filesystem, how
>> can I use the unused space that is my problem.
>
> If you want to grow some other partition over it, then you'll need to
> boot into a LiveCD and use the partitioner tool to adjust the
> partitions - in the absence of LVM you cannot do this while the system
> is using the disk.

Yes you understood it correctly.Can you give me any link which
describes such steps.
What keywords should I search?
--
Regards
Abhi

Old 12-24-2011, 11:39 AM
Liam Proven

On 24 December 2011 06:06, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Avi Greenbury <lists@avi.co> wrote:
>> Abhishek Dixit wrote:
>>
>>> I want to use it, it is 270+ GB which is lying unused on my system.
>>> Is it possible that I extend the home directory or / to this size
>>> 270+ GB. Mine is not an LVM it was a normal ext3/ext4 filesystem, how
>>> can I use the unused space that is my problem.
>>
>> If you want to grow some other partition over it, then you'll need to
>> boot into a LiveCD and use the partitioner tool to adjust the
>> partitions - in the absence of LVM you cannot do this while the system
>> is using the disk.
>>
> Yes you understood it correctly.Can you give me any link which
> describes such steps.

You've not told us which is your home FS, nor the root or any others.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:34 AM
Abhishek Dixit

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24 December 2011 06:06, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> If you want to grow some other partition over it, then you'll need to
>>> boot into a LiveCD and use the partitioner tool to adjust the
>>> partitions - in the absence of LVM you cannot do this while the system
>>> is using the disk.
>>>
>> Yes you understood it correctly.Can you give me any link which
>> describes such steps.
>
> You've not told us which is your home FS, nor the root or any others.

I myself do not know which is which.How can I know it?