Old 12-21-2011, 09:26 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

Default behaviour after cloning a disk

Hi,
I have a question about the behaviour of a cloned disk.
I want to copy a20GB disk to a partition on a much larger disk (1TB) of
20GB. The disk is bootable with 2 primary partitions (1=ntfs, 1=ext3)
and an extendedn partition with 5 logical partitions (with different
formats).
If I copy that disk with "dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdd8 bs=1024" will all
be preserved i.e. are all partitions the same as in the old disk and is
the disk bootable ( and can grub find the bootable partitions
automagically?).
You can see I don't have much experience with this so I hope somebody
with more experience can help me out.

Thanks,
Joep

Old 12-21-2011, 10:45 PM

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 17:26, Joep L. Blom <jlblom@neuroweave.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a question about the behaviour of a cloned disk.
> I want to copy a20GB disk to a partition on a much larger disk (1TB) of
> 20GB. The disk is bootable with 2 primary partitions (1=ntfs, 1=ext3) and an
> extendedn partition with 5 logical partitions (with different formats).
> If I copy that disk with "dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdd8 bs=1024" will all be
> preserved i.e. are all partitions the same as in the old disk and is the
> disk bootable ( and can grub find the bootable partitions automagically?).
> You can see I don't have much experience with this so I hope somebody with
> more experience can help me out.

Is there any particular reason you want to "clone" the disk using dd?

If you're only looking to preserve the files, wouldn't rsync work
better, or even cp? Both have means of protecting ownership and
permissions when copying files from one location to the next.

Also, your dd statement isn't quite right... if you're just trying to
copy the one partition, it would be:

dd if=/dev/sdbX of=/dev/sdd8

where X is the partition number of the 20GB partition you want to
copy. Also, just wondering if specifying a 1024k blocksize is
necessary... dd will usually handle that automatically, unless there's
a reason for specifying a block size.

Anyway, just wondering... the important point is that, if you're just
interested in making copies of files, cp or rsync are probably safer
bets.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:05 AM
"Joep L. Blom"

[...]

Thanks for your answer. The reason I want to clone the disks and not
simply copy them using rsync or cp is that the disks will be removed
from the system (it now has 3 disks plus 2 CD-writers). However, I want
to be able to use the OSes on these disks (1 Fedora and 1 Windows NT).
Therefore I want to clone the complete disk and not just a partition.
Maybe someone else can shed some light on this problem.

Joep

Old 12-22-2011, 08:02 AM
Nils Kassube

Joep L. Blom wrote:
> I want to copy a20GB disk to a partition on a much larger disk (1TB)
> of 20GB. The disk is bootable with 2 primary partitions (1=ntfs,
> 1=ext3) and an extendedn partition with 5 logical partitions (with
> different formats).
> If I copy that disk with "dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdd8 bs=1024" will
> all be preserved i.e. are all partitions the same as in the old disk
> and is the disk bootable ( and can grub find the bootable partitions
> automagically?).

Yes and no. Everything will be preserved and Grub can't find it (because
it is more or less hidden). Your dd command copies the entire disk with
its MBR and the individual partitions onto a single partition. The
update-grub command, which looks for other operating systems, can not
see the individual partitions within the copy. It can only sees the MBR.
It would be rather tricky to find the contents of the individual
partitions afterwards.

Like J wrote already, you could copy the individual partitions to new
partitions on the new disk. However instead of using dd it would be much
easier to use gparted. With gparted you can clone individual partitions
to another disk. That way you avoid to make individual partitions of the
correct size for the clones and afterwards grub should find the
operating systems on these partitions.

Nils