Old 12-21-2011, 08:34 PM
Colin Law

Default How much disk space does Lubuntu install need.

On 21 December 2011 21:23, Yorvyk <yorvik.ubunto@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 21:00:25 +0000
> Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 21 December 2011 16:35, Yorvyk <yorvik.ubunto@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> > It can be done but you'll have no room to do anything much. *I've installed Lubuntu on a 2.4GB drive with a 300MB swap partion and 1GB drive as /home.
>> > The other option is to use UNetbootin to install it to the hard-drive as a live CD with persistent storage. *The easiest way to do this is stick the 2GB drive in another machine and run UNetbootin. *Change Type from USB Drive to Hard Disk and select the drive from the next box. *You may have to format the 2GB drive to FAT before you start, I can't remember. *It may be best to ignore my instructions, it is reasonably obvious once UNetbootin is running.
>>
>> I have just tried to install from the live CD and it says I need 4.1GB
>> and won't allow me to carry on.
>>
> There was a flaw in the way the required space is calculated. *You'll have to use the alternate installer.

Now I look more carefully it does say that so I have no-one to blame
but myself. Here we go for another download on my superfast 1.2Mbps
internet connection. I think I will start the torrent and go to bed.

Thanks

Colin

> --
> Yorvyk

gplus.to/clanlaw

Old 12-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Rigved Rakshit

> The other option is to use UNetbootin to install it to the hard-drive as a live CD with persistent storage. *The easiest way to do this is stick the 2GB drive in another machine and run UNetbootin. *Change Type from USB Drive to Hard Disk and select the drive from the next box. *You may have to format the 2GB drive to FAT before you start, I can't remember. *It may be best to ignore my instructions, it is reasonably obvious once UNetbootin is running.

I have just tried to install from the live CD and it says I need 4.1GB

and won't allow me to carry on.
The suggested method was to install using a method know as LiveUSB:* https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent. Unetbootin is available in Ubuntu, so the Windows method mentioned on the page will work as well.

You have made the mistake of installing using the normal method of installing on a Hard disk. This will not work as it does require at least 4 GB to give you a working install that can be easily updated at a later time.

Best Regards,
Rigved Rakshit

Old 12-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Colin Law

On 22 December 2011 11:45, Rigved Rakshit <r.phate@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > The other option is to use UNetbootin to install it to the hard-drive as
>> > a live CD with persistent storage. *The easiest way to do this is stick the
>> > 2GB drive in another machine and run UNetbootin. *Change Type from USB Drive
>> > to Hard Disk and select the drive from the next box. *You may have to format
>> > the 2GB drive to FAT before you start, I can't remember. *It may be best to
>> > ignore my instructions, it is reasonably obvious once UNetbootin is running.
>>
>> I have just tried to install from the live CD and it says I need 4.1GB
>> and won't allow me to carry on.
>

> The suggested method was to install using a method know as LiveUSB:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent. Unetbootin is available
> in Ubuntu, so the Windows method mentioned on the page will work as well.

Tricky if the bios will not boot off usb.

> You have made the mistake of installing using the normal method of
> installing on a Hard disk. This will not work as it does require at least 4
> GB to give you a working install that can be easily updated at a later time.

I have now successfully installed Lubuntu from the Alternate CD. The
basic install took 1.4 GB.

Colin

Old 12-24-2011, 12:13 PM
Liam Proven

On 22 December 2011 12:27, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> I have just tried to install from the live CD and it says I need 4.1GB
>>> and won't allow me to carry on.
>>

>> The suggested method was to install using a method know as LiveUSB:
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent. Unetbootin is available
>> in Ubuntu, so the Windows method mentioned on the page will work as well.
>
> Tricky if the bios will not boot off usb.

Tricky, yes, but not impossible. The Plop Boot Manager will do this
and it is free for personal use.
http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html

> I have now successfully installed Lubuntu from the Alternate CD. *The
> basic install took 1.4 GB.

Excellent!

Old 12-24-2011, 12:29 PM
Colin Law

On 24 December 2011 13:13, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The suggested method was to install using a method know as LiveUSB:
>>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent. Unetbootin is available
>>> in Ubuntu, so the Windows method mentioned on the page will work as well.
>>
>> Tricky if the bios will not boot off usb.
>
> Tricky, yes, but not impossible. The Plop Boot Manager will do this
> and it is free for personal use.
> http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html

Thanks for that link, I have not seen that before. Filed away for future use.

>> I have now successfully installed Lubuntu from the Alternate CD. *The
>> basic install took 1.4 GB.
>
> Excellent!

Sadly things have gone downhill. I found I had to reduce the swap
partition to virtually nothing to get enough free disk to allow it to
upgrade the kernel and then one of the memory sticks went AWOL half
way through the upgrade. So now I have just 120MB RAM and a half
upgraded kernel. Not good. I think maybe the time has come to draw
the experiment to a close and head over to ebay to find a disk and
some RAM. I shall be a little sad to throw the disk out, it has a
distinctive can of nails rattle when working hard and for a long time
ran my personal machine some years ago, so I am a little sentimentally
attached to it.

For anyone finding this the conclusion is that it is possible to
install Lubuntu on a 2GB Disk, but it does not really provide a viable
system.

Colin

Old 12-24-2011, 01:00 PM
Liam Proven

On 24 December 2011 13:29, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 24 December 2011 13:13, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Tricky if the bios will not boot off usb.
>>
>> Tricky, yes, but not impossible. The Plop Boot Manager will do this
>> and it is free for personal use.
>> http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html
>
> Thanks for that link, I have not seen that before. *Filed away for future use.
>

>>> I have now successfully installed Lubuntu from the Alternate CD. *The
>>> basic install took 1.4 GB.
>>
>> Excellent!
>
> Sadly things have gone downhill. *I found I had to reduce the swap
> partition to virtually nothing to get enough free disk to allow it to
> upgrade the kernel and then one of the memory sticks went AWOL half
> way through the upgrade. *So now I have just 120MB RAM and a half
> upgraded kernel. *Not good. *I think maybe the time has come to draw
> the experiment to a close and head over to ebay to find a disk and
> some RAM. *I shall be a little sad to throw the disk out, it has a
> distinctive can of nails rattle when working hard and for a long time
> ran my personal machine some years ago, so I am a little sentimentally
> attached to it. *
>
> For anyone finding this the conclusion is that it is possible to
> install Lubuntu on a 2GB Disk, but it does not really provide a viable
> system.

Ah. Oops.

I fixed up an old stripped-out PC donated by a client last month &
Freecycled it. P4 Celeron, 1.7GHz, old 256MB + old 128MB DIMM, an old
10GB HD and Lubuntu 11.10. Worked really quite nicely. I fear a <10
gig drives are possibly just /too/ old now, though.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Yorvyk

On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 13:29:56 +0000
Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

> >> I have now successfully installed Lubuntu from the Alternate CD. *The
> >> basic install took 1.4 GB.
> >
> > Excellent!
>
> Sadly things have gone downhill. I found I had to reduce the swap
> partition to virtually nothing to get enough free disk to allow it to
> upgrade the kernel and then one of the memory sticks went AWOL half
> way through the upgrade. So now I have just 120MB RAM and a half
> upgraded kernel. Not good. I think maybe the time has come to draw
> the experiment to a close and head over to ebay to find a disk and
> some RAM. I shall be a little sad to throw the disk out, it has a
> distinctive can of nails rattle when working hard and for a long time
> ran my personal machine some years ago, so I am a little sentimentally
> attached to it.
>
> For anyone finding this the conclusion is that it is possible to
> install Lubuntu on a 2GB Disk, but it does not really provide a viable
> system.

You never asked if it was viable

If the machine is on a network it is possible to have swap and /home on a network drive.

http://www.emanuelis.eu/2010/06/21/how-to-swap-to-nfs-mount/

--
Yorvyk