Old 12-21-2011, 08:32 PM
John Graddy

Default Sound on Ubuntu 11.10

I have recently upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10 after skipping a couple of
upgrades. The magnitude of the changes has been quite a shock.

There are apparently a LOT of problems with sound in 11.10. I have had
a problem since upgrading. I have spent a lot of time chasing sound
problems and have put in a couple of fixes. Nothing seems to work
across system boots.

Does anyone know if there is an ongoing effort to correct the many sound
problems in 11.10?

Thanks,
John

Old 12-21-2011, 08:41 PM
Colin Law

On 21 December 2011 21:32, John Graddy <jwgraddy@valornet.com> wrote:
> I have recently upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10 after skipping a couple of
> upgrades. The magnitude of the changes has been quite a shock.
>
> There are apparently a LOT of problems with sound in 11.10. *I have had
> a problem since upgrading. *I have spent a lot of time chasing sound
> problems and have put in a couple of fixes. *Nothing seems to work
> across system boots.
>
> Does anyone know if there is an ongoing effort to correct the many sound
> problems in 11.10?

I have not seen any problems myself. Are there some particular bug
reports that do not seem to be getting addressed?

Colin

Old 12-21-2011, 08:47 PM
John Graddy

On Wed, 2011-12-21 at 21:41 +0000, Colin Law wrote:
> On 21 December 2011 21:32, John Graddy <jwgraddy@valornet.com> wrote:
> > I have recently upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10 after skipping a couple of
> > upgrades. The magnitude of the changes has been quite a shock.
> >
> > There are apparently a LOT of problems with sound in 11.10. I have had
> > a problem since upgrading. I have spent a lot of time chasing sound
> > problems and have put in a couple of fixes. Nothing seems to work
> > across system boots.
> >
> > Does anyone know if there is an ongoing effort to correct the many sound
> > problems in 11.10?
>
> I have not seen any problems myself. Are there some particular bug
> reports that do not seem to be getting addressed?
>
> Colin

Not that I'm aware of. I have been using google searches to look for
Ubuntu 11.10 sound problems, and it seems that I always wind up going in
circles.

John

Old 12-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Colin Law

On 21 December 2011 21:47, John Graddy <jwgraddy@valornet.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-12-21 at 21:41 +0000, Colin Law wrote:
>> On 21 December 2011 21:32, John Graddy <jwgraddy@valornet.com> wrote:
>> > I have recently upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10 after skipping a couple of
>> > upgrades. The magnitude of the changes has been quite a shock.
>> >
>> > There are apparently a LOT of problems with sound in 11.10. *I have had
>> > a problem since upgrading. *I have spent a lot of time chasing sound
>> > problems and have put in a couple of fixes. *Nothing seems to work
>> > across system boots.
>> >
>> > Does anyone know if there is an ongoing effort to correct the many sound
>> > problems in 11.10?
>>
>> I have not seen any problems myself. *Are there some particular bug
>> reports that do not seem to be getting addressed?
>>
>> Colin
>
> Not that I'm aware of. *I have been using google searches to look for
> Ubuntu 11.10 sound problems, and it seems that I always wind up going in
> circles.

Well if there are not any bug reports then there is not likely to be
much of an effort to fix them, ongoing or otherwise.

Colin

Old 12-21-2011, 09:10 PM

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 16:52, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 21 December 2011 21:47, John Graddy <jwgraddy@valornet.com> wrote:
>
>> Not that I'm aware of. *I have been using google searches to look for
>> Ubuntu 11.10 sound problems, and it seems that I always wind up going in
>> circles.
>
> Well if there are not any bug reports then there is not likely to be
> much of an effort to fix them, ongoing or otherwise.

And it also helps to ... actually detail the "problems" you have.
Saying "I have all these sound problems. why aren't they being fixed?"
is a bit ambiguous.

I'm running 11.10 on 4 different machines:

Alienware M15x
Lenovo ThinkPad x201
Lenovo IdeaPad S-10
FreeScale i.MX53 dev board

All four have sound, and I have had 0 issues with sound with 11.10.

That being said, the ONLY "sound-ish" problem I've had is more related
to the audio on some streaming flash videos being choppy, but only on
certain flash videos from certain sites. Other sites, no problem."

And as Colin said, if there are no bugs (and you haven't filed bugs)
then no one is looking at them, nor fixing them.

Jeff

Old 12-22-2011, 04:09 AM
Ric Moore