-   -   How much disk space does Lubuntu install need. (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/612399-how-much-disk-space-does-lubuntu-install-need.html)

Colin Law 12-21-2011 01:24 PM

How much disk space does Lubuntu install need.

I hate throwing out stuff that still works. On clearing out some old
disks I found a 2GB disk that works. In wondering what I can do with
a 2GB disk it occurred to me that Lubuntu might fit on it. I could
not find this information on the Lubuntu site, does anyone know the
answer? I have an old box with 250MB RAM and a P4 so that should be
fine for it.

Colin

Yorvyk 12-21-2011 03:35 PM

How much disk space does Lubuntu install need.

On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 14:24:12 +0000
Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I hate throwing out stuff that still works. On clearing out some old
> disks I found a 2GB disk that works. In wondering what I can do with
> a 2GB disk it occurred to me that Lubuntu might fit on it. I could
> not find this information on the Lubuntu site, does anyone know the
> answer? I have an old box with 250MB RAM and a P4 so that should be
> fine for it.
>
> Colin

It can be done but you'll have no room to do anything much. I've installed Lubuntu on a 2.4GB drive with a 300MB swap partion and 1GB drive as /home.
The other option is to use UNetbootin to install it to the hard-drive as a live CD with persistent storage. The easiest way to do this is stick the 2GB drive in another machine and run UNetbootin. Change Type from USB Drive to Hard Disk and select the drive from the next box. You may have to format the 2GB drive to FAT before you start, I can't remember. It may be best to ignore my instructions, it is reasonably obvious once UNetbootin is running.

--
Yorvyk

Colin Law 12-21-2011 08:00 PM

On 21 December 2011 16:35, Yorvyk <yorvik.ubunto@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 14:24:12 +0000
> Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> I hate throwing out stuff that still works. *On clearing out some old
>> disks I found a 2GB disk that works. * In wondering what I can do with
>> a 2GB disk it occurred to me that Lubuntu might fit on it. *I could
>> not find this information on the Lubuntu site, does anyone know the
>> answer? *I have an old box with 250MB RAM and a P4 so that should be
>> fine for it.
>>
>> Colin
>>
> It can be done but you'll have no room to do anything much. *I've installed Lubuntu on a 2.4GB drive with a 300MB swap partion and 1GB drive as /home.
> The other option is to use UNetbootin to install it to the hard-drive as a live CD with persistent storage. *The easiest way to do this is stick the 2GB drive in another machine and run UNetbootin. *Change Type from USB Drive to Hard Disk and select the drive from the next box. *You may have to format the 2GB drive to FAT before you start, I can't remember. *It may be best to ignore my instructions, it is reasonably obvious once UNetbootin is running.

I have just tried to install from the live CD and it says I need 4.1GB
and won't allow me to carry on.

Colin

Yorvyk 12-21-2011 08:23 PM

How much disk space does Lubuntu install need.

On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 21:00:25 +0000
Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 21 December 2011 16:35, Yorvyk <yorvik.ubunto@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 14:24:12 +0000
> > Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I hate throwing out stuff that still works. *On clearing out some old
> >> disks I found a 2GB disk that works. * In wondering what I can do with
> >> a 2GB disk it occurred to me that Lubuntu might fit on it. *I could
> >> not find this information on the Lubuntu site, does anyone know the
> >> answer? *I have an old box with 250MB RAM and a P4 so that should be
> >> fine for it.
> >>
> >> Colin
> >>
> > It can be done but you'll have no room to do anything much. *I've installed Lubuntu on a 2.4GB drive with a 300MB swap partion and 1GB drive as /home.
> > The other option is to use UNetbootin to install it to the hard-drive as a live CD with persistent storage. *The easiest way to do this is stick the 2GB drive in another machine and run UNetbootin. *Change Type from USB Drive to Hard Disk and select the drive from the next box. *You may have to format the 2GB drive to FAT before you start, I can't remember. *It may be best to ignore my instructions, it is reasonably obvious once UNetbootin is running.
>
> I have just tried to install from the live CD and it says I need 4.1GB
> and won't allow me to carry on.

There was a flaw in the way the required space is calculated. You'll have to use the alternate installer.

--
Yorvyk