Old 12-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Jacob Mansfield

Default Additional function keys via PuTTY

Hi all,I have a program that requires use of the additional function keys, i.e. F13-16I know these are send in putty by using shift with the normal function keys (F3+Shift=F3) however these are not recognised by the ubuntu server or the softwarecould anybody guide me in creating/editing a termcap entry to define these? my attempts have resulted in a few warnings from tic about illegal characters in my source, that aren't there!thanks guys/gals

--regards,
Jacob Mansfield,Lead developer
jacob@bluesapphiremedia.com
Blue Sapphire Media recommends*A2 Hosting--

Old 12-21-2011, 11:41 AM
Mark Widdicombe

On 21 December 2011 14:33, Jacob Mansfield <cyberjacob@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a program that requires use of the additional function keys, i.e.
> F13-16
> I know these are send in putty by using shift with the normal function keys
> (F3+Shift=F3) however these are not recognised by the ubuntu server or the
> software
> could anybody guide me in creating/editing a termcap entry to define these?
> my attempts have resulted in a few warnings from tic about illegal
> characters in my source, that aren't there!
> thanks guys/gals

Have you tried different values for $TERM? It can be easier than
creating or editing the termcap file. Try, for example, setting $TERM
to vt120 or vt220 which should have the keys you need mapped already.
Failing that you'll have to Google for the termcap entries for the
type of terminal you're trying to emulate.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:47 AM
Jacob Mansfield

On 21 Dec 2011, at 12:41, Mark Widdicombe wrote:
> Have you tried different values for $TERM? It can be easier than
> creating or editing the termcap file. Try, for example, setting $TERM
> to vt120 or vt220 which should have the keys you need mapped already.
> Failing that you'll have to Google for the termcap entries for the
> type of terminal you're trying to emulate.

I'm using the ansi $TERM value, as that's what PuTTY emulates when on SCO keyboard mode, which works perfectly for the standard function keys.
if it helps, I can tell you that F13 is generated by E[Y (escape [Y ). what I don't understand is, why tic thinks there's a and two : character/capabilities in the file.
(would you like me to attach the file?)

Old 12-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Jamie Paul Griffin

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 02:41:54PM +0200, Mark Widdicombe wrote:
> On 21 December 2011 14:33, Jacob Mansfield <cyberjacob@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I have a program that requires use of the additional function keys, i.e.
> > F13-16
> > I know these are send in putty by using shift with the normal function keys
> > (F3+Shift=F3) however these are not recognised by the ubuntu server or the
> > software
> > could anybody guide me in creating/editing a termcap entry to define these?
> > my attempts have resulted in a few warnings from tic about illegal
> > characters in my source, that aren't there!
> > thanks guys/gals
>
> Have you tried different values for $TERM? It can be easier than
> creating or editing the termcap file. Try, for example, setting $TERM
> to vt120 or vt220 which should have the keys you need mapped already.
> Failing that you'll have to Google for the termcap entries for the
> type of terminal you're trying to emulate.

Forgive me, I might have completely misunderstood, but can't this sort of thing be defined from within the window manager configuration?

Old 12-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Jacob Mansfield

Old 12-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Jacob Mansfield

On 21 Dec 2011, at 13:33, Jamie Paul Griffin wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 02:41:54PM +0200, Mark Widdicombe wrote:
>> On 21 December 2011 14:33, Jacob Mansfield <cyberjacob@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> I have a program that requires use of the additional function keys, i.e.
>>> F13-16
>>> I know these are send in putty by using shift with the normal function keys
>>> (F3+Shift=F3) however these are not recognised by the ubuntu server or the
>>> software
>>> could anybody guide me in creating/editing a termcap entry to define these?
>>> my attempts have resulted in a few warnings from tic about illegal
>>> characters in my source, that aren't there!
>>> thanks guys/gals
>>
>> Have you tried different values for $TERM? It can be easier than
>> creating or editing the termcap file. Try, for example, setting $TERM
>> to vt120 or vt220 which should have the keys you need mapped already.
>> Failing that you'll have to Google for the termcap entries for the
>> type of terminal you're trying to emulate.
>
> Forgive me, I might have completely misunderstood, but can't this sort of thing be defined from within the window manager configuration?

Just an update on this, the wy520 term type should be supported, as it's generating the right codes, however now none of the function keys work.
any more ideas?

thanks for the help

Old 12-21-2011, 11:10 PM
PleegWat

Old 12-21-2011, 11:58 PM
Steve Flynn

On 21 December 2011 12:33, Jacob Mansfield <cyberjacob@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a program that requires use of the additional function keys, i.e.
> F13-16
> I know these are send in putty by using shift with the normal function keys
> (F3+Shift=F3) however these are not recognised by the ubuntu server or the
> software
> could anybody guide me in creating/editing a termcap entry to define these?
> my attempts have resulted in a few warnings from tic about illegal
> characters in my source, that aren't there!
> thanks guys/gals
> jacob@bluesapphiremedia.com

Just tried emailing you offlist to get some more info regarding your
putty config and your bluesapphiremedia email address bounces. That
domain name is not registered, and hasn't been since 2007, Why on
earth are you using a fake email address in your sig?

--
Steve

Old 12-22-2011, 06:40 AM
Jacob Mansfield

Hey guys,
there's a new complication with this issue, I found a term type that matches the strings putty sends.
however the terminal does not recognise/accept these when I press the keyboard button (the string is displayed)
any ideas?
thanks for the help everyone, and merry Christmas!

Old 12-22-2011, 06:53 AM
Jacob Mansfield

On 22 Dec 2011, at 00:58, Steve Flynn wrote:
> Just tried emailing you offlist to get some more info regarding your
> putty config and your bluesapphiremedia email address bounces. That
> domain name is not registered, and hasn't been since 2007, Why on
> earth are you using a fake email address in your sig?

thanks for telling me, all fixed now

--
regards,
Jacob Mansfield,

Blue Sapphire Media recommends A2 Hosting