Old 12-21-2011, 07:28 AM
Jamie Paul Griffin

Default command-line iso burner recommendations

Hi

I need a command-line iso burner. A search has presented 2 options: genisoimage for creating and wodim which has a suite of tools I can use to to burn to disc.

I wondered if anyone has any other recommendations that might be better? I don't want a gui for this, I want a minimal system.

Thanks

jamie.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:48 AM
Fajar Priyanto

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Jamie Paul Griffin
<jamie@kontrol.kode5.net> wrote:
> I need a command-line iso burner. A search has presented 2 options: genisoimage for creating and wodim which has a suite of tools I can use to to burn to disc.
>
> I wondered if anyone has any other recommendations that might be better? I don't want a gui for this, I want a minimal system.

Hi Jamie,
I use
cdrecord.i386 : A command line CD/DVD recording program.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:37 AM
Jamie Paul Griffin

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 04:48:36PM +0800, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Jamie Paul Griffin
> <jamie@kontrol.kode5.net> wrote:
> > I need a command-line iso burner. A search has presented 2 options: genisoimage for creating and wodim which has a suite of tools I can use to to burn to disc.
> >
> > I wondered if anyone has any other recommendations that might be better? I don't want a gui for this, I want a minimal system.
>
> Hi Jamie,
> I use
> cdrecord.i386 : A command line CD/DVD recording program.

Thanks, that is already installed. It must either be in the base install or as part of another suite as I didn't install it as a separate program. Seems I've already got what I need then.

jamie.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Marius Gedminas

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 11:37:51AM +0000, Jamie Paul Griffin wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 04:48:36PM +0800, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Jamie Paul Griffin
> > <jamie@kontrol.kode5.net> wrote:
> > > I need a command-line iso burner. A search has presented 2
> > > tools I can use to to burn to disc.
> > >
> > > I wondered if anyone has any other recommendations that might be
> > > better? I don't want a gui for this, I want a minimal system.
> >
> > Hi Jamie,
> > I use
> > cdrecord.i386 : A command line CD/DVD recording program.
>
> Thanks, that is already installed. It must either be in the base
> install or as part of another suite as I didn't install it as a
> separate program. Seems I've already got what I need then.

wodim is a fork of cdrecord (because of some licencing kerfuffle), and
it ships with a tool called 'cdrecord' for backwards compatibility.

Marius Gedminas
--
I want patience, and I WANT IT NOW!

Old 12-21-2011, 12:25 PM
Jamie Paul Griffin

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 02:36:05PM +0200, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 11:37:51AM +0000, Jamie Paul Griffin wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 04:48:36PM +0800, Fajar Priyanto wrote:

> > > Hi Jamie,
> > > I use
> > > cdrecord.i386 : A command line CD/DVD recording program.
> >
> > Thanks, that is already installed. It must either be in the base
> > install or as part of another suite as I didn't install it as a
> > separate program. Seems I've already got what I need then.
>
> wodim is a fork of cdrecord (because of some licencing kerfuffle), and
> it ships with a tool called 'cdrecord' for backwards compatibility.

So do you think this is a good choice then?

Old 12-21-2011, 05:15 PM
Preston Hagar

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 7:25 AM, Jamie Paul Griffin
<jamie@kontrol.kode5.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 02:36:05PM +0200, Marius Gedminas wrote:
>> wodim is a fork of cdrecord (because of some licencing kerfuffle), and
>> it ships with a tool called 'cdrecord' for backwards compatibility.
>
> So do you think this is a good choice then?

If the licensing isn't a major issue to you, I would install cdrtools
from the ppa here:

https://launchpad.net/~brandonsnider/+archive/cdrtools

I have a lot better luck with it and fewer "coasters". Since it is
actively developed and last I checked woodim isn't really, it seems to
make even more of a difference with newer burners.

Here is an older post I made about the subject if you are interested:

http://markmail.org/message/jyhxsx4lchelmcbj

Preston

Old 12-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Ric Moore

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Jamie Paul Griffin
I need a command-line iso burner. A search has presented 2 options: genisoimage for creating and wodim which has a suite of tools I can use to to burn to disc.

I wondered if anyone has any other recommendations that might be better? I don't want a gui for this, I want a minimal system.

Hi Jamie,
I use
cdrecord.i386 : A command line CD/DVD recording program.

Thanks, that is already installed. It must either be in the base install or as part of another suite as I didn't install it as a separate program. Seems I've already got what I need then.

I am about to do the same, so I'm glad you asked. Gonna check the man
page to see about slowing the burn rate process down as much as
possible. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html