Old 12-20-2011, 09:40 PM
Chris Green

Default Good mono spaced fonts for terminal windows - what do you use?

I'm trying to find a good, readable font to use in terminal windows in
11.10. Does anyone have any particular recommendations?

--
Chris Green

Old 12-20-2011, 10:18 PM
Yorvyk

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 22:40:56 +0000
Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

> I'm trying to find a good, readable font to use in terminal windows in
> 11.10. Does anyone have any particular recommendations?
>
> --
> Chris Green

Ubuntu Mono

--
Yorvyk

Old 12-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Steve Flynn

On 20 December 2011 22:40, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> I'm trying to find a good, readable font to use in terminal windows in
> 11.10. *Does anyone have any particular recommendations?

Personally, I like Consolas but that's a Windows font so you may not
want to make use of it. A nice alternative is Inconsolata
(http://www.levien.com/type/myfonts/inconsolata.html)

--
Steve

Old 12-23-2011, 02:24 PM
Chris Green

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 02:42:01PM +0000, Steve Flynn wrote:
> On 20 December 2011 22:40, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> > I'm trying to find a good, readable font to use in terminal windows in
> > 11.10. *Does anyone have any particular recommendations?
>

> Personally, I like Consolas but that's a Windows font so you may not
> want to make use of it. A nice alternative is Inconsolata
> (http://www.levien.com/type/myfonts/inconsolata.html)

You're right, Inconsolata works pretty well, thank you.

--
Chris Green

Old 12-23-2011, 04:38 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/12/20 Chris Green <cl@isbd.net>:
> I'm trying to find a good, readable font to use in terminal windows in
> 11.10. Â*Does anyone have any particular recommendations?

I don't know what you find readable, but I use the Liberation fonts
for most situations (Liberation Mono in this case).

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ãƒ*ーゼンバーグ

Old 01-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Adam Funk

On 2011-12-20, Yorvyk wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 22:40:56 +0000
> Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to find a good, readable font to use in terminal windows in
>> 11.10. Does anyone have any particular recommendations?
>>
>> --
>> Chris Green
>>
> Ubuntu Mono

How do I set my xterm and emacs to use that? I have the font
installed, but I can't find it in xfontsel, so I can't figure out what
to put in my ~/.Xdefaults file.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Mike Kupfer

Adam Funk wrote:

> On 2011-12-20, Yorvyk wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 22:40:56 +0000
> > Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm trying to find a good, readable font to use in terminal windows in
> >> 11.10. Does anyone have any particular recommendations?
[...]
> > Ubuntu Mono
>
> How do I set my xterm and emacs to use that? I have the font
> installed, but I can't find it in xfontsel, so I can't figure out what
> to put in my ~/.Xdefaults file.

Ubuntu Mono is a TrueType font; I don't think xfontsel displays TrueType
fonts.

For Emacs 23, you can set the font via the menubar (Options>Set Default
Font...). Click on Options>Save Options to save the setting for the
next time you start Emacs.

For xterm, I'm not sure. There are references to TrueType in the man
page, so you could check there. Also, Googling for

xterm truetype

brought up several hits that look like they might help you.

mike

Old 01-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Adam Funk

On 2012-01-15, Mike Kupfer wrote:

> Adam Funk wrote:
>
>> On 2011-12-20, Yorvyk wrote:

> [...]
>> > Ubuntu Mono
>>
>> How do I set my xterm and emacs to use that? I have the font
>> installed, but I can't find it in xfontsel, so I can't figure out what
>> to put in my ~/.Xdefaults file.
>
> Ubuntu Mono is a TrueType font; I don't think xfontsel displays TrueType
> fonts.

True, according to man xterm (I hadn't known where to look until I
came across the "faceName" stuff in the links at the bottom of my
post):

faceName (class FaceName)
Specify the pattern for scalable fonts selected from the FreeType library if support for that library was compiled into xterm. There is no default value.

If not specified, or if there is no match for both normal and bold fonts, xterm uses the bitmap font and related resources.

It is possible to select suitable bitmap fonts using a script such as this:

#!/bin/sh
FONT=`xfontsel -print`
test -n "$FONT" && xfd -fn "$FONT"

However (even though xfd accepts a “-fa” option to denote FreeType fonts), xfontsel has not been similarly extended. As a workaround, you may try

fc-list :scalable=true:spacing=mono: family

to find a list of scalable fixed-pitch fonts which may be used for the faceName resource value.

> For Emacs 23, you can set the font via the menubar (Options>Set Default
> Font...). Click on Options>Save Options to save the setting for the
> next time you start Emacs.
>
> For xterm, I'm not sure. There are references to TrueType in the man
> page, so you could check there. Also, Googling for
>
> xterm truetype
>
> brought up several hits that look like they might help you.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/X_resources#Xterm_resources

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fonts#Terminal

Thanks for the tips!