Old 12-20-2011, 09:28 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

Default Problem with gparted

On 20-12-11 21:21, doug wrote:

On 12/20/2011 08:38 AM, Fajar Priyanto wrote:

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 9:31 PM, Joep L. Blom<jlblom@neuroweave.nl>
wrote:

I hope somebody can help me with a partition problem.

Hi Joep.
That is strange. Are you sure you haven't used up all the space for
the partition?

Have you shrunk the big logical partition that you have now,
so there is someplace to put a new logical partition?

--doug

Everybody, thanks for your answers. Especially doug and Juan! You hit
the nail on the head!.
I stupidly had forgotten to make the extended the size of the rest of
the disk. A stupid beginners error!. I only assume that the old brain
played me a trick.

Thanks a lot. The partitions are completed.
Joep

Old 12-20-2011, 09:35 PM
Yorvyk

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 14:31:22 +0100
"Joep L. Blom" <jlblom@neuroweave.nl> wrote:

> I hope somebody can help me with a partition problem.
> I have a new disk (1TB) and when I installed the OS (xubuntu 11.10) made
> 1 primary and 1 extended partition, the latter with 2 logical
> partitions. The extended partition contains 2 logical partitions and a
> swap partition. Approx. 550 GB is free.
> I want to make 2 extra logical partitions and use gparted from a Live CD
> (actually USB-stick).
> Gparted works as expected except that it don't want to create a logical
> partition. That choice is greyed out. I can only choose to create a
> primary partition.
> I haven all partitions on that disk - that were mounted automatically -
> unmounted but still gparted refuses to let me create a logical partition.
> What have I overlooked? I need those partitions to copy to small disks -
> which are in that case - to the 1 TB disk to remove them from the case.
> I hope somebody, more experienced with partitions than I am, can explain
> what I have to do to let gparted work as expected.
> Thanks in advance,
> Joep

Ensure the swap partition is running. You can disable it from gParted.

--
Yorvyk