Old 12-20-2011, 04:32 PM
CJ Tres

Default root partition full

I've followed the guide at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1122670

Unmounting all but system partitions,
I've run apt-get-clean and -autoclean along with --autoremove, emptied
trash in root and home and after I removed old kernels and headers I've
reduced / by 4%.
There are no large or numerous log files, although I did delete the
oldest ones in each group.

I did install doodle yesterday, which created a 20G directory in /var/lib.
As an experiment I moved that folder to another hd but the size of /
wasn't reduced, it's still 96% full! - 28G total 26G used 1.1G
available. When I tried to put it back there wasn't enough room.

Remaining directories are at or < 1%.

Analyzing the file system with disk usage analyzer (gksudo boabab) still
reports root as 100% full (after doing the above steps) and the size as
13.5G, home as 62.3% full - 8.4G, /usr as 27.5% at 3.7G and /var - 4,5%
- 617.1 MB.

df -Th | sort says:
/dev/sda1 ext3 28G 26G 1.1G 96% /
/dev/sda7 ext4 51G 13G 36G 27% /home
Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
none devtmpfs 4.0G 704K 4.0G 1% /dev
none tmpfs 4.0G 0 4.0G 0% /var/lock
none tmpfs 4.0G 432K 4.0G 1% /var/run
none tmpfs 4.0G 788K 4.0G 1% /dev/shm

Is there something else I'm missing that I may be able to do to get the
percentage down or is my / partition just too small?

Old 12-20-2011, 04:47 PM
Colin Law

On 20 December 2011 17:32, CJ Tres <ctres@grics.net> wrote:
> I've followed the guide at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1122670
>
> Unmounting all but system partitions,
> I've run apt-get-clean and -autoclean along with --autoremove, emptied trash
> in root and home and after I removed old kernels and headers I've reduced /
> by 4%.
> There are no large or numerous log files, although I did delete the oldest
> ones in each group.
>
> I did install doodle yesterday, which created a 20G directory in /var/lib.
> As an experiment I moved that folder to another hd but the size of / wasn't
> reduced, it's still 96% full! - 28G total 26G used 1.1G available. When I
> tried to put it back there wasn't enough room.
> Remaining directories are at or < 1%.
>
> Analyzing the file system with disk usage analyzer (gksudo boabab) still
> reports root as 100% full (after doing the above steps) and the size as
> 13.5G, home as 62.3% full - 8.4G, /usr as 27.5% at 3.7G and /var - 4,5% -
> 617.1 MB.

If you scan root using baobab you will find where all the space is
used. With the basic system installed it should not take more than 7
or 8 GB. Probably less.

Colin

> *df -Th | sort says:
> /dev/sda1 * * ext3 * * 28G * 26G *1.1G *96% /
> /dev/sda7 * * ext4 * * 51G * 13G * 36G *27% /home
> Filesystem * *Type * *Size *Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> none * * *devtmpfs * *4.0G *704K *4.0G * 1% /dev
> none * * * * tmpfs * *4.0G * * 0 *4.0G * 0% /var/lock
> none * * * * tmpfs * *4.0G *432K *4.0G * 1% /var/run
> none * * * * tmpfs * *4.0G *788K *4.0G * 1% /dev/shm
>
> Is there something else I'm missing that I may be able to do to get the
> percentage down or is my / partition just too small?

gplus.to/clanlaw

Old 12-20-2011, 05:12 PM
CJ Tres

[...]

Maybe this is where I'm confused. In my last paragraph I stated Baobab's
numbers even though df -h says it's only 96% full.

What am I missing?

Old 12-20-2011, 05:23 PM
Johnny

From and old new bee. have you tried running bleach as root?
Merry Christmas and God Bless Johnny3 65+++

Old 12-20-2011, 05:52 PM
CJ Tres

Merry Christmas and God Bless Johnny3 65+++

Would that be bleachbit?
I looked at it briefly but I'm a bit nervous I'll bork something.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:10 PM
Marius Gedminas

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 11:32:33AM -0600, CJ Tres wrote:
> I've followed the guide at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1122670
>
> Unmounting all but system partitions,
> I've run apt-get-clean and -autoclean along with --autoremove,
> emptied trash in root and home and after I removed old kernels and
> headers I've reduced / by 4%.
> There are no large or numerous log files, although I did delete the
> oldest ones in each group.
>
> I did install doodle yesterday, which created a 20G directory in /var/lib.
> As an experiment I moved that folder to another hd but the size of /
> wasn't reduced, it's still 96% full! - 28G total 26G used 1.1G
> available.

Was doodle still running? If a program has a file open, and you
delete/move that file to a different partition, Linux will not
free its disk space until the program that had it open quits.

Stop or restart doodle and you should see the disk space go down (unless
it creates a new 20G file on startup .

Marius Gedminas
--
"You know, you never truly appreciate how handy living next to a creek
is until you are on fire."

Old 12-20-2011, 07:09 PM
Colin Law

On 20 December 2011 17:32, CJ Tres <ctres@grics.net> wrote:
> I've followed the guide at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1122670
>
> Unmounting all but system partitions,
> I've run apt-get-clean and -autoclean along with --autoremove, emptied trash
> in root and home and after I removed old kernels and headers I've reduced /
> by 4%.
> There are no large or numerous log files, although I did delete the oldest
> ones in each group.
>
> I did install doodle yesterday, which created a 20G directory in /var/lib.
> As an experiment I moved that folder to another hd but the size of / wasn't
> reduced, it's still 96% full! - 28G total 26G used 1.1G available. When I
> tried to put it back there wasn't enough room.
> Remaining directories are at or < 1%.
>
> Analyzing the file system with disk usage analyzer (gksudo boabab) still
> reports root as 100% full (after doing the above steps) and the size as
> 13.5G, home as 62.3% full - 8.4G, /usr as 27.5% at 3.7G and /var - 4,5% -
> 617.1 MB.
>
> *df -Th | sort says:
> /dev/sda1 * * ext3 * * 28G * 26G *1.1G *96% /
> /dev/sda7 * * ext4 * * 51G * 13G * 36G *27% /home
> Filesystem * *Type * *Size *Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> none * * *devtmpfs * *4.0G *704K *4.0G * 1% /dev
> none * * * * tmpfs * *4.0G * * 0 *4.0G * 0% /var/lock
> none * * * * tmpfs * *4.0G *432K *4.0G * 1% /var/run
> none * * * * tmpfs * *4.0G *788K *4.0G * 1% /dev/shm
>
> Is there something else I'm missing that I may be able to do to get the
> percentage down or is my / partition just too small?

Looking again at those they do not make sense. df is showing / as 28G
but you say baobab shows it as 13.5G. Are you sure you are reading
the baobab display correctly? If you hover over the icons one will
say Scan Filesystem. Click that and it will scan the whole lot (go
and have a cup of coffee) and show you where the space is used.

Colin

gplus.to/clanlaw

Old 12-20-2011, 09:13 PM
CJ Tres

Was doodle still running? If a program has a file open, and you
delete/move that file to a different partition, Linux will not
free its disk space until the program that had it open quits.

Stop or restart doodle and you should see the disk space go down (unless
it creates a new 20G file on startup .

Marius Gedminas

I don't think so. Iran it as root to imdex things - took a couple hours
but I'm pretty sure it wasn't running.

In any case it's not running now and the result is pretty much the same.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:16 PM
CJ Tres

[...]

I believe that's what I did.
Here's a screenshot.
http://imagepaste.nullnetwork.net/viewimage.php?id=2960

Old 12-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Marius Gedminas

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 04:16:06PM -0600, CJ Tres wrote:
> On 12/20/2011 02:09 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> >On 20 December 2011 17:32, CJ Tres<ctres@grics.net> wrote:
> >>I've followed the guide at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1122670
> >>
> >>Unmounting all but system partitions,
> >>I've run apt-get-clean and -autoclean along with --autoremove, emptied trash
> >>in root and home and after I removed old kernels and headers I've reduced /
> >>by 4%.
> >>There are no large or numerous log files, although I did delete the oldest
> >>ones in each group.
> >>
> >>I did install doodle yesterday, which created a 20G directory in /var/lib.
> >>As an experiment I moved that folder to another hd but the size of / wasn't
> >>reduced, it's still 96% full! - 28G total 26G used 1.1G available. When I
> >>tried to put it back there wasn't enough room.
> >>Remaining directories are at or< 1%.
> >>
> >>Analyzing the file system with disk usage analyzer (gksudo boabab) still
> >>reports root as 100% full (after doing the above steps) and the size as
> >>13.5G, home as 62.3% full - 8.4G, /usr as 27.5% at 3.7G and /var - 4,5% -
> >>617.1 MB.
> >>
> >> df -Th | sort says:
> >>/dev/sda1 ext3 28G 26G 1.1G 96% /
> >>/dev/sda7 ext4 51G 13G 36G 27% /home
> >>Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> >>none devtmpfs 4.0G 704K 4.0G 1% /dev
> >>none tmpfs 4.0G 0 4.0G 0% /var/lock
> >>none tmpfs 4.0G 432K 4.0G 1% /var/run
> >>none tmpfs 4.0G 788K 4.0G 1% /dev/shm
> >>
> >>Is there something else I'm missing that I may be able to do to get the
> >>percentage down or is my / partition just too small?
> >
> >Looking again at those they do not make sense. df is showing / as 28G
> >but you say baobab shows it as 13.5G. Are you sure you are reading
> >the baobab display correctly? If you hover over the icons one will
> >say Scan Filesystem. Click that and it will scan the whole lot (go
> >and have a cup of coffee) and show you where the space is used.
> >
> >Colin
>
> I believe that's what I did.
> Here's a screenshot.
> http://imagepaste.nullnetwork.net/viewimage.php?id=2960

Did you run baobab as root (with gksudo)? Perhaps it skipped some
inaccessible directories in, say, /var, and thus couldn't count their
sizes properly?

I'm not a fan of baobab. I like du:

sudo du -xhs /

does this print a number close to those 26G that df claims?

If not, most likely there are deleted files kept open that occupy space.
Check with

sudo lsof / | grep '(deleted)'

Worst case, there's some filesystem corruption that makes the free block
count disagree with the real amount. But I think that's unlikely.
(Running fsck would fix that; you can't run fsck on mounted filesystems;
you can't unmount /, so touch /forcefsck to force a full filesystem
check on next boot, then reboot. If you think unnoticed fs corruption
might be the case. Which is unlikely.)

Marius Gedminas
--
Any time somebody tells you that you shouldn't do something because it's
"unprofessional," you know that they've run out of real arguments.