Old 12-20-2011, 12:31 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

Default Problem with gparted

I hope somebody can help me with a partition problem.
I have a new disk (1TB) and when I installed the OS (xubuntu 11.10) made
1 primary and 1 extended partition, the latter with 2 logical
partitions. The extended partition contains 2 logical partitions and a
swap partition. Approx. 550 GB is free.
I want to make 2 extra logical partitions and use gparted from a Live CD
(actually USB-stick).
Gparted works as expected except that it don't want to create a logical
partition. That choice is greyed out. I can only choose to create a
primary partition.
I haven all partitions on that disk - that were mounted automatically -
unmounted but still gparted refuses to let me create a logical partition.
What have I overlooked? I need those partitions to copy to small disks -
which are in that case - to the 1 TB disk to remove them from the case.
I hope somebody, more experienced with partitions than I am, can explain
what I have to do to let gparted work as expected.

Thanks in advance,
Joep

Old 12-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Fajar Priyanto

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 9:31 PM, Joep L. Blom <jlblom@neuroweave.nl> wrote:
> I hope somebody can help me with a partition problem.
> I have a new disk (1TB) and when I installed the OS (xubuntu 11.10) made 1
> primary and 1 extended partition, the latter with 2 logical partitions. The
> extended partition contains 2 logical partitions and a swap partition.
> Approx. 550 GB is free.
> I want to make 2 extra logical partitions and use gparted from a Live CD
> (actually USB-stick).
> Gparted works as expected except that it don't want to create a logical
> partition. That choice is greyed out. I can only choose to create a primary
> partition.
> I haven all partitions on that disk - that were mounted automatically -
> unmounted but still gparted refuses to let me create a logical partition.
> What have I overlooked? I need those partitions to copy to small disks -
> which are in that case - to the 1 TB disk to remove them from the case.
> I hope somebody, more experienced with partitions than I am, can explain
> what I have to do to let gparted work as expected.
> Thanks in advance,

Hi Joep.
That is strange. Are you sure you haven't used up all the space for
the partition?

Old 12-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Nils Kassube

Joep L. Blom wrote:
> I hope somebody can help me with a partition problem.
> I have a new disk (1TB) and when I installed the OS (xubuntu 11.10)
> made 1 primary and 1 extended partition, the latter with 2 logical
> partitions. The extended partition contains 2 logical partitions and
> a swap partition. Approx. 550 GB is free.
> I want to make 2 extra logical partitions and use gparted from a Live
> CD (actually USB-stick).
> Gparted works as expected except that it don't want to create a
> logical partition. That choice is greyed out. I can only choose to
> create a primary partition.

Are the free 550GB part of the extended partition? If that is the case,
you should be able to add logocal partitions and I have no idea why it
doesn't work. Otherwise you could resize (expand) the extended partition
to get room for more logical partitions. If there is no free space
within the extended partition you can only add primary partitions.

Nils

Old 12-20-2011, 07:21 PM
doug

[...]

Have you shrunk the big logical partition that you have now,
so there is someplace to put a new logical partition?

--doug

Old 12-20-2011, 07:42 PM
"Juan R. de Silva"

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 14:31:22 +0100, Joep L. Blom wrote:

> Approx.550 GB is free.

Sorry, but your explanation is not quite clear. Could you be a little
more specific here, please?

Do you have additional free space of 550 GB on your hdd, or do you have
550 GB space free on your extended partition? (See below...)

> ... to create a logical partition. That choice is greyed out. I can
> only choose to create a primary partition.

This snippet suggests that you do not have any free space on your
extended partition. In such case Create Logical Partition option would be
rightfully disabled, or "greyed out" in your words.

It also suggests that you do have additional free space on your hdd, and,
since you have only 1 primary and 1 extended partitions, you still have
the option to create a primary partition available to you.

If my suggestion is correct, then all you need is to resize your extended
partition making space for a new logical one. After this done, GParted
would enable the option to create a new logical partition for you.