Old 12-20-2011, 12:25 PM
Mo Morsi

Default Snap! A system snapshotter for Fedora / Ubuntu / Windows / and more

On 01/-10/-28163 02:59 PM, Fajar Priyanto wrote:

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 7:21 PM, Mo Morsi<mmorsi@redhat.com> wrote:

Only files modified post-installation and new-files (eg those not tracked by
the package system) are backed up so that snapshots are lightweight and are
able to be migrated across hosts. Currently supported are RPM based distros
(Fedora, RHEL, CentOS), Deb based distros (Debian, Ubutunu), and Windows

Hi,
This sounds very (too?) cool!!

Can pls tell me if my understanding is correct:
1. Ubuntu 10.04
2. Run snap
3. Update to Ubuntu 11.10

Can I safely restore to Ubuntu 10.04?

Yes, the snapshot will contain the repos, package lists, files, and
services configuration installed on your system when the snapshot is taken.

After that point, you may restore those repos, packages, files, and
services on any system of your choosing (Ubuntu 10.04 or 11.10 or
another system all together such as Fedora or whatnot).

Snap uses the underlying native system tooling to perform operations,
while representing the snapshots in an abstract manner so that they are
portable and lightweight.

-Mo