-   -   Using 'update-alternatives' for java (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/611997-using-update-alternatives-java.html)

Jamie Paul Griffin 12-20-2011 09:11 AM

Using 'update-alternatives' for java

I have followed a link from the Ubuntu support pages that describes using update-alternatives to select which java distribution I want to use. For me, this is Oracle JDK 1.7.

Anyway, I did that and the java command is there; java -version prints out the right information. Having said that, the man pages have not been set up and nor has the javac compiler or any of the other commands in the JDK.

Do I have to use the same update-alternatives process for each of the commands in the JDK and the man pages? Surely there is a method for updating it all at once? Does anyone know?
--
Jamie Paul Griffin jamie@kode5.net.

Ric Moore 12-20-2011 06:35 PM

Using 'update-alternatives' for java

I have followed a link from the Ubuntu support pages that describes using update-alternatives to select which java distribution I want to use. For me, this is Oracle JDK 1.7.

Anyway, I did that and the java command is there; java -version prints out the right information. Having said that, the man pages have not been set up and nor has the javac compiler or any of the other commands in the JDK.

Do I have to use the same update-alternatives process for each of the commands in the JDK and the man pages? Surely there is a method for updating it all at once? Does anyone know?

Did you try this??
http://www.webupd8.org/2011/09/how-to-install-oracle-java-7-jdk-in.html
It should help. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Jamie Paul Griffin 12-21-2011 07:26 AM

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 02:35:18PM -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 12/20/2011 05:11 AM, Jamie Paul Griffin wrote:
> >I have followed a link from the Ubuntu support pages that describes using update-alternatives to select which java distribution I want to use. For me, this is Oracle JDK 1.7.
> >
> >Anyway, I did that and the java command is there; java -version prints out the right information. Having said that, the man pages have not been set up and nor has the javac compiler or any of the other commands in the JDK.
> >
> >Do I have to use the same update-alternatives process for each of the commands in the JDK and the man pages? Surely there is a method for updating it all at once? Does anyone know?
>
> Did you try this??
> http://www.webupd8.org/2011/09/how-to-install-oracle-java-7-jdk-in.html
> It should help. Ric

Thanks it did. I hadn't done the update-repository bit, I wondered if there was a way that wouldn't require that because it has installed a load of gnome libraries which I wanted to avoid. I only have fluxbox installed and want to keep the system clear of all that stuff. Still, thanks anyway.

jamie.