Old 12-20-2011, 01:06 AM
Mo Morsi

Default Snap! A system snapshotter for Fedora / Ubuntu / Windows / and more

On 11/22/2011 06:21 AM, Mo Morsi wrote:

Hey all, I'm looking for help testing a project I've been
working on over the last few months. Snap [1] is a
cross-platform system snapshot and restoration utility which
uses the underlying package management system to take snapshots
of packages installed as well as files modified outside of the
package management system.

<snip>

The project is as open source as it gets, written in Python
and licensed under the GPLv3. I've submitted Snap to Fedora [3]
and Debian / Ubuntu [4], any package reviews would be more than
appreciated.

Thanks for reading so far!

-Mo Morsi

Hey quick question. We just pushed snap into Fedora [1]. I'm largely
familiar w/ the Fedora process, but was wondering if someone could
advise on the best way to get this package into Ubuntu. I submitted
it to Debian [2], but is there a better way to make it available (I
do ship it via my own apt repo [3]).

This is my first package I'm submitting to Debian / Ubuntu, so
that'd have to be taken into consideration. Do ya'll do review
swaps? Perhaps I could review a package in exchange for someone
reviewing mine?

In any case, alot of updates have been pushed to Snap recently (see
the commit log [4] and latest release notes [5] for some examples)
and we're working on adding some cool new features including the
ability to convert snapshots of one system to another (for example a
Fedora snapshot to Ubuntu and vice-versa).

Stay tuned for more updates!

* -Mo

[1] https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/snap

[3] http://apt.morsi.org/ubuntu/pool/main/s/snap/snap_0.5_all.deb

[4] https://github.com/movitto/snap/commits/master

[5] http://projects.morsi.org/wiki/snap

Old 12-20-2011, 08:40 AM
Fajar Priyanto

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 7:21 PM, Mo Morsi <mmorsi@redhat.com> wrote:
> Only files modified post-installation and new-files (eg those not tracked by
> the package system) are backed up so that snapshots are lightweight and are
> able to be migrated across hosts. Currently supported are RPM based distros
> (Fedora, RHEL, CentOS), Deb based distros (Debian, Ubutunu), and Windows

Hi,
This sounds very (too?) cool!!

Can pls tell me if my understanding is correct:
1. Ubuntu 10.04
2. Run snap
3. Update to Ubuntu 11.10

Can I safely restore to Ubuntu 10.04?