Old 12-19-2011, 02:53 PM
Amichai Rotman

Default Dual Head Video Card Configuration

Hello,
I am running Ubuntu 11.04 with a Dual head (DVI and D-Sub) nVidia GForce 8400GS.
I have a Samsung 932BF (connected to the nVidia through DVI) and to a 26 inch LCD TV with 16:9 ratio, through the D-Sub.

I have the nvidia-settings package installed and I am trying to figure out the best way to switch my computer output to the TV.
I am currently using TwinView, RightOf or Clone @ 1024x768. Any higher resolution results in an 'out of range' error - claims the virtual desktop is too big...

I'd like to edit the xorg.conf file to set the LCD TV as a *separate X Screen with the correct resolution (1366x768, I think).
1. How do I find out what's the optimal screen resolution for the TV (I've lost the original documentation).

2. How do I edit the xorg.conf file for what I need. I tried to follow different guides, but got very confused....
Thanks!
Amichai.