Old 12-19-2011, 11:35 AM
LinuxIsOne

Default Is encrypting a /home directory suggested?

Hi,

Is encrypting a /home directory (a separate partition in my case) is
really recommended?

Thanks.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Colin Law

On 19 December 2011 12:35, LinuxIsOne <reallife@hmamail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is encrypting a /home directory (a separate partition in my case) is
> really recommended?

Not unless you need to protect the data there in case your machine
gets stolen or hacked.

Colin

Old 12-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Jamie Paul Griffin

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 01:12:52PM +0000, Colin Law wrote:
> On 19 December 2011 12:35, LinuxIsOne <reallife@hmamail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is encrypting a /home directory (a separate partition in my case) is
> > really recommended?
>
> Not unless you need to protect the data there in case your machine
> gets stolen or hacked.
>
> Colin

I personally feel any form added security is a good idea these days, it certainly isn't a bad idea to encrypt it.
--
jamie.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:38 PM
Koh Choon Lin

Hi

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 8:35 PM, LinuxIsOne <reallife@hmamail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is encrypting a /home directory (a separate partition in my case) is
> really recommended?

Remember to do that for your swap too.

--
Regards
Koh Choon Lin

Old 12-19-2011, 01:00 PM
LinuxIsOne

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 7:08 PM, Koh Choon Lin <2choonlin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Remember to do that for your swap too.

Not really, while doing installation, I really forgot to add tick mark
for encryption and did default only but with a separate /home and swap
and currently doesn't have a encrypted one.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:02 PM
LinuxIsOne

Again I plan to do that in the next LTS. I don't guess in this short
period if something to the data can really happen..., would tick the
marks for encryption in the installation of the next LTS, but now a
days I hear people always using encryption.....

Old 12-20-2011, 01:28 AM
Ric Moore