-   -   Gateway NV55C 1.3 MP webcam - Where ,> is it?? **SOLVED** (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/611539-gateway-nv55c-1-3-mp-webcam-where-solved.html)

Jay Ridgley 12-18-2011 08:25 PM

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 14:36:16 +0100 From: Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> To:
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com Subject: Re: Gateway NV55C 1.3 MP webcam - Where
is it?? Message-ID: <201112181436.16931.kassube@gmx.net> Content-Type:
Text/Plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Jay Ridgley wrote:

> cdjsys@kodiak:~$ lsusb
> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 064e:c21c Suyin Corp.

The line above is the entry for your camera. According to google, that
camera is a uvc device and I think it should be supported by the
uvcvideo module. Try the program guvcview to find out if it works.

However depending on your application you may need the v4l1
compatibility library, especially skype is one of those candidates.
Install the package libv4l-0 and then run the command

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

in a terminal to use the camera with skype.

Nils

THANKS That was exactly what I needed. I installed the guvcview and the libv4l-0
package was included in the list of items to be installed. It works as expected!

Somehow, I expected the lsusb to mention webcam...

Very happy now!

Thanks again,
Jay

--