Old 12-18-2011, 02:52 PM
Peng Yu

Default Save passwords in a local file system

Hi,

I have a number of usernames and passwords current saved a plain text
file. I remember that that there are some password management tools to
encrypt the user/pass info. I don't call what the tool is. Would you
please let me know what tools are available for saving usernames and
passwords?

Peng

Old 12-18-2011, 03:01 PM
David Fletcher

On Sun, 2011-12-18 at 09:52 -0600, Peng Yu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a number of usernames and passwords current saved a plain text
> file. I remember that that there are some password management tools to
> encrypt the user/pass info. I don't call what the tool is. Would you
> please let me know what tools are available for saving usernames and
> passwords?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Peng

I'm using gpass

Old 12-18-2011, 03:57 PM
Colin Law

On 18 December 2011 15:52, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a number of usernames and passwords current saved a plain text
> file. I remember that that there are some password management tools to
> encrypt the user/pass info. I don't call what the tool is. Would you
> please let me know what tools are available for saving usernames and
> passwords?

I like KeePassX
http://www.keepassx.org/

Colin

Old 12-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 09:52:19AM -0600, Peng Yu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a number of usernames and passwords current saved a plain text
> file. I remember that that there are some password management tools to
> encrypt the user/pass info. I don't call what the tool is. Would you
> please let me know what tools are available for saving usernames and
> passwords?

I use Revelation Password Manager but may switch to KeePassX.

--
Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,

Old 12-19-2011, 05:54 AM
Tim Frost

On Sun, 2011-12-18 at 09:52 -0600, Peng Yu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a number of usernames and passwords current saved a plain text
> file. I remember that that there are some password management tools to
> encrypt the user/pass info. I don't call what the tool is. Would you
> please let me know what tools are available for saving usernames and
> passwords?

I use pwman. It requires you to have a GPG key, as the passwords are
stored in an XML file that is encrypted using a specified GPG private
key.

pwman is a sourceforge project (the home page is
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pwman/), but because I was supporting
pwman on several systems (most running 64-bit Ubuntu), I have a derived
version available in my PPA - see
https://launchpad.net/~timfrost/+archive/ppa

pwman is text-based (using curses/ncurses in a terminal window), rather
than a web or X-based application. If you want a graphical tool,
KeePassX may be a better option. KeePassX is in the ubuntu repositories
as keepassx.

> --
> Regards,
> Peng