Old 12-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Graham Watkins

Default Mounting USB Floppy Drive in Lucid

Hi folks,

I'm having an issue when trying to mount my USB floppy drive. At first
when I plugged it in, it wouldn't mount at all. I tried it on a Windows
computer and it worked fine so it's not broken.

I then tried installing usbmount which worked, but changed all the
permissions on devices and their files to root - not only on the floppy,
but on usb flash drives as well, so I uninstalled that.

Mounted it from the command line with:

sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdg /media/usbfloppy -o
uid=1000,gid=1000,utf8,dmask=027,fmask=137

This showed the correct permissions for files, however when I tried to
unmount it, I got the message:

umount: /media/usbfloppy is not in the fstab (and you are not root)

I have to either run nautilus as root or run sudo /umount/usbfloppy from
the command line to unmount.

Is there any fix which will enable me to mount and unmount this drive
without faffing about on the command line?

I posted about a similar problem back in 2010 when someone suggested
holding the udisks package back to
1.0.1-1build1(lucid) which I did and it worked at the time but although
the package is still held, it's not working now.

Cheers,

Graham

Old 12-20-2011, 02:21 AM
NoOp

On 12/18/2011 03:08 AM, Graham Watkins wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm having an issue when trying to mount my USB floppy drive. At first
> when I plugged it in, it wouldn't mount at all. I tried it on a Windows
> computer and it worked fine so it's not broken.
>
> I then tried installing usbmount which worked, but changed all the
> permissions on devices and their files to root - not only on the floppy,
> but on usb flash drives as well, so I uninstalled that.
>
> Mounted it from the command line with:
>
> sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdg /media/usbfloppy -o
> uid=1000,gid=1000,utf8,dmask=027,fmask=137
>
> This showed the correct permissions for files, however when I tried to
> unmount it, I got the message:
>
> umount: /media/usbfloppy is not in the fstab (and you are not root)
>
> I have to either run nautilus as root or run sudo /umount/usbfloppy from
> the command line to unmount.
>
> Is there any fix which will enable me to mount and unmount this drive
> without faffing about on the command line?
>
> I posted about a similar problem back in 2010 when someone suggested
> holding the udisks package back to
> 1.0.1-1build1(lucid) which I did and it worked at the time but although
> the package is still held, it's not working now.
$ apt-cache policy udisks
udisks:
Installed: 1.0.1-1build1
Candidate: 1.0.1+git20100614-3
Version table:
1.0.1+git20100614-3 0
500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick/main i386 Packages
*** 1.0.1-1build1 0
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

still works for me:
/dev/fd0 on /media/floppy0 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=<>)

But I have the floppy in fstab:
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec 0 0
so that may be the difference.