Old 12-18-2011, 03:36 AM
Abhishek Dixit

Default wireless chip deleted from lspci output

3-4 days back on my Ubuntu 11.04 machine wirless suddenly stopped
working.Googling forum etc showed STA driver was the cause of problem
so as per this link
installed the b43 driver (blacklisting etc done)

by issuing
Code:
sudo apt-get purge firmware-b43*
sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-lpphy-installer
Things worked smooth after a reboot I was able to get wireless
back.Today morning I see the wireless again not detected and
lsmod does not shows any wireless driver module loaded,
lspci -vnn does not even shows the wireless chip which used to be present as
Code:
14e4:4315
What went wrong here? What could be done?
I had installed Oracle Virtualbox yesterday and it was using wlan0 for
its networking as interface which used to be my wireless card.
--
Regards
Abhi

Old 12-19-2011, 01:23 AM
Abhishek Dixit

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 10:06 AM, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
> 3-4 days back on my Ubuntu 11.04 machine wirless suddenly stopped
> working.Googling forum etc showed STA driver was the cause of problem
> so as per this link
> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1732258.html
> installed the b43 driver (blacklisting etc done)
>
> by issuing
> Code:
> sudo apt-get purge firmware-b43*
> sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-lpphy-installer
> Things worked smooth after a reboot I was able to get wireless
> back.Today morning I see the wireless again not detected and
> lsmod does not shows any wireless driver module loaded,
> lspci -vnn does not even shows the wireless chip which used to be present as
> Code:
> 14e4:4315
> What went wrong here? What could be done?
> I had installed Oracle Virtualbox yesterday and it was using wlan0 for
> its networking as interface which used to be my wireless card.
> --
> Regards
> Abhi

I noticed this problem in my machine is caused by presence of Oracle
VirtualBox VM's.
The guest OS has bridged interface named wlna0 and the wifi card also
uses wlan0 which is what is causing
problem when ever I boot the laptop wifi stops working if I have a
guest OS but if I do not have a gues OS then
this problem does not come.