-   -   Ethernet Driver for broadcom bcm5754 (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/611040-ethernet-driver-broadcom-bcm5754.html)

Sushil Mantri 12-16-2011 09:06 PM

Ethernet Driver for broadcom bcm5754

Hi,

I need the driver for broadcom bcm5754. Unfortunately ubuntu 11.04
doesn't seem to have it in its installer. I found the source in ubuntu
repository, but compiling it has been painful. Can i get a debian
package for the driver?

Thanks,
Sushil

Tapas Mishra 12-17-2011 05:46 AM

Ethernet Driver for broadcom bcm5754

You should try installing the driver from repos.I too have a broadcom
wifi chipset and it is working.Check this pci id of your wireless card
by lspci -vnn
and see if the vendor id : device id combination is mentioned in this list
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#supported
if the combination is not mentioned then only you are in trouble,
keep your laptop connected with a lan wire and issue following commands

sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter

after this reboot and it should work

On 12/17/11, Sushil Mantri <sushilmantri@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need the driver for broadcom bcm5754. Unfortunately ubuntu 11.04
> doesn't seem to have it in its installer. I found the source in ubuntu
> repository, but compiling it has been painful. Can i get a debian
> package for the driver?

Can you give a link to which driver is that you feel will work for your device?

Sushil Mantri 12-17-2011 01:16 PM

Ethernet Driver for broadcom bcm5754

Thanks Tapas for your reply.

Ubuntu repo has packages for the ones you mentioned, but bcm5754 is
*not* a wireless card. Its an ethernet controller. I could find source
package here http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/bcm5700-source. But as
mentioned earlier i am getting issues building it.
It seems to need the whole kernel source and not just the headers, and
i am confused about that

Any suggestions are welcome

Colin Law 12-17-2011 01:29 PM

On 16 December 2011 22:06, Sushil Mantri <sushilmantri@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need the driver for broadcom bcm5754. Unfortunately ubuntu 11.04
> doesn't seem to have it in its installer. I found the source in ubuntu
> repository, but compiling it has been painful. Can i get a debian
> package for the driver?

This suggests you should not need a driver for that adaptor.
http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/catalog/component/pci:167A:14E4-NETWORK

Colin

Sushil Mantri 12-17-2011 02:05 PM

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 9:29 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 16 December 2011 22:06, Sushil Mantri <sushilmantri@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need the driver for broadcom bcm5754. Unfortunately ubuntu 11.04
>> doesn't seem to have it in its installer. I found the source in ubuntu
>> repository, but compiling it has been painful. Can i get a debian
>> package for the driver?
>
> This suggests you should not need a driver for that adaptor.
> http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/catalog/component/pci:167A:14E4-NETWORK

Could it be because i installed 11.04? the releases on that page
doesn't show 11.04.

On a different laptop with 11.04, when i do:
$: sudo find /lib/modules/2.6.38-11-generic/ -name *bcm*

**output**

/lib/modules/2.6.38-11-generic/kernel/net/can/can-bcm.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.38-11-generic/kernel/drivers/staging/bcm
/lib/modules/2.6.38-11-generic/kernel/drivers/staging/bcm/bcm_wimax.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.38-11-generic/kernel/drivers/bluetooth/bcm203x.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.38-11-generic/kernel/drivers/net/phy/bcm63xx.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.38-11-generic/kernel/drivers/input/mouse/bcm5974.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.38-11-generic/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/frontends/bcm3510.ko

I dont think it has the 5700's ethernet driver.

Abhishek Dixit 12-18-2011 03:34 AM

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 8:35 PM, Sushil Mantri <sushilmantri@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 9:29 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On 16 December 2011 22:06, Sushil Mantri <sushilmantri@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I need the driver for broadcom bcm5754. Unfortunately ubuntu 11.04
>>> doesn't seem to have it in its installer. I found the source in ubuntu
>>> repository, but compiling it has been painful. Can i get a debian
>>> package for the driver?
>>
>> This suggests you should not need a driver for that adaptor.
>> http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/catalog/component/pci:167A:14E4-NETWORK
>
> Could it be because i installed 11.04? the releases on that page
> doesn't show 11.04.
>
> On a different laptop with 11.04, when i do:
> $: sudo find /lib/modules/2.6.38-11-generic/ -name *bcm*
>
> **output**
>
> /lib/modules/2.6.38-11-generic/kernel/net/can/can-bcm.ko
> /lib/modules/2.6.38-11-generic/kernel/drivers/staging/bcm
> /lib/modules/2.6.38-11-generic/kernel/drivers/staging/bcm/bcm_wimax.ko
> /lib/modules/2.6.38-11-generic/kernel/drivers/bluetooth/bcm203x.ko
> /lib/modules/2.6.38-11-generic/kernel/drivers/net/phy/bcm63xx.ko
> /lib/modules/2.6.38-11-generic/kernel/drivers/input/mouse/bcm5974.ko
> /lib/modules/2.6.38-11-generic/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/frontends/bcm3510.ko
>
> I dont think it has the 5700's ethernet driver.
absence of particular file you think does not mean driver is missing
many devices use same chipset which can be identified only by
lspci -vnn output where it shows a string as follows

09:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.
88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller [11ab:4354] (rev 13)

note the last [11ab:4354] in my output this is my vendor id and
device id combination which if you google will get you some desired
results.
The problem you are facing building the driver from source is because
the debian repos link you gave must be using a different version of
the kernel than what is installed on your system.
This configuarion is controlled by Makefile of driver where if you try
to install a driver which is meant for an other kernel on some lesser
or higher version of kernel it will give you errors related to make.

--
Regards
Abhi

Tapas Mishra 12-18-2011 03:51 AM

Ethernet Driver for broadcom bcm5754

On 12/17/11, Sushil Mantri <sushilmantri@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Tapas for your reply.
>
> Ubuntu repo has packages for the ones you mentioned, but bcm5754 is
> *not* a wireless card. Its an ethernet controller. I could find source
> package here http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/bcm5700-source.
I found it in multiverse repository
http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/bcm5700-source

see if in your /etc/apt/sources.list following line (multiverse at the
end) exist

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric multiverse
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric multiverse

if they exist then you should not need to build from here and there.
You can get apt-get install
as far as kernel is concerned linux-headers is what you might need.