-   -   No grub menu or splash in 11.04 - how to get it back? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/611022-no-grub-menu-splash-11-04-how-get-back.html)

Chris Green 12-16-2011 08:13 PM

No grub menu or splash in 11.04 - how to get it back?

I have an xubuntu 11.04 installation on an Intel chipset system and,
between the BIOS splash screens and the GUI login screen there is just
nothing, no splash screen, no text - nothing!

This hadn't really troubled me until recently when I was trying to
investigate what is taking such a long time at boot and I realised that
I could no longer see the boot sequence.

I have tried various changes to /etc/default/grub which should make
*something* appear but there's always nothing.

During boot the display tells me that it is seeing a connection but
that's all, nothing appears. The Intel display chipset is an i915 I
think and I'm using an HDMI connection to my monitor.

Any/all ideas to fix this would be most welcome.

--
Chris Green

NoOp 12-17-2011 12:28 AM

On 12/16/2011 01:13 PM, Chris Green wrote:
> I have an xubuntu 11.04 installation on an Intel chipset system and,
> between the BIOS splash screens and the GUI login screen there is just
> nothing, no splash screen, no text - nothing!
>
> This hadn't really troubled me until recently when I was trying to
> investigate what is taking such a long time at boot and I realised that
> I could no longer see the boot sequence.
>
> I have tried various changes to /etc/default/grub which should make
> *something* appear but there's always nothing.
>
> During boot the display tells me that it is seeing a connection but
> that's all, nothing appears. The Intel display chipset is an i915 I
> think and I'm using an HDMI connection to my monitor.
>
> Any/all ideas to fix this would be most welcome.

See:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-tools/+bug/771905

I did a combination of comment #45 and #48:

Solution — still using graphical GRUB menu and also graphical splash
(like #39 and #45) — preferred:
1. Add the following line in /etc/default/grub:
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1024x780 # or whatever resolution you want on your
system
2. Update grub:
sudo update-grub2
3. Create /etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/init-top/load-vesafb (like in
#39) — script attached.
4. echo FRAMEBUFFER=y | sudo tee /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash
5. Then update ramdisk:
sudo update-initramfs -u

That should get you back to a normal boot splash. Then set for text by
/etc/default/grub

$ gksu gedit /etc/default/grub

change:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nosplash"

change:
#GRUB_TERMINAL=console
GRUB_TERMINAL=console

save the file. Then:

$ sudo update-grub

Note: make sure you have an earlier version of the kernal installed;
that way if the /etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/init-top/load-vesafb give
you issues, you can boot into the older kernel & remove the load-vesafb
file.

NoOp 12-17-2011 12:35 AM

No grub menu or splash in 11.04 - how to get it back?

Disregard all that I had posted above this; that was my documentation on
how to get the splash screen with my nvidia card. Please just try the
following:

Chris Green 12-17-2011 11:06 AM

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 05:35:25PM -0800, NoOp wrote:
> On 12/16/2011 05:28 PM, NoOp wrote:
>
> Disregard all that I had posted above this; that was my documentation on
> how to get the splash screen with my nvidia card. Please just try the
> following:

I'd already looked throug the bug report and decided that it wasn't
*exactly* my problem, though related.

> > $ gksu gedit /etc/default/grub

What's all this GUI edit stuff! :-)

sudo vi /etc/default/grub

(Though in my case I prefer vile to vim)

> > change:
> > GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
> > GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nosplash"
> >
> > change:
> > #GRUB_TERMINAL=console
> > GRUB_TERMINAL=console
> >
> > save the file. Then:
> >
> > $ sudo update-grub

In fact simply uncommenting the GRUB_TERMINAL line has brought
everything to life. I'm perfectly happy not having pretty graphics at
boot time (the system stays on all the time anyway, reboots are only for
testing and major changes).

Is it possible to tell the 'console' to work at a higher resolution so
that the messages don't wrap so much?

> > Note: make sure you have an earlier version of the kernal installed;
> > that way if the /etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/init-top/load-vesafb give
> > you issues, you can boot into the older kernel & remove the load-vesafb
> > file.

Chris Green

NoOp 12-18-2011 11:49 PM

On 12/17/2011 04:06 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 05:35:25PM -0800, NoOp wrote:
>> > change:
>> > #GRUB_TERMINAL=console
>> > GRUB_TERMINAL=console
>> >
>> > save the file. Then:
>> >
>> > $ sudo update-grub
>> >

> In fact simply uncommenting the GRUB_TERMINAL line has brought
> everything to life. I'm perfectly happy not having pretty graphics at
> boot time (the system stays on all the time anyway, reboots are only for
> testing and major changes).

Glad that worked for you.

> Is it possible to tell the 'console' to work at a higher resolution so
> that the messages don't wrap so much?
Try GRUB_GFXMODE=

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
/etc/default/grub (file)